United Bimmer Do-It-Yourself Disclaimer:
The following tutorial is meant as a guide and is not
guaranteed to be complete or 100% accurate. By following this DIY, you
understand any work done on your car is at your own risk and we hold no
responsibility if you break something. If you feel uneasy with this
risk, we recommend you take your car to a professional mechanic to have the
work done. Otherwise, enjoy yourself and good luck!
High Performance Ignition Coil Installation
Safety Warning: Be sure the engine is cool before beginning Installation.
Installation Note: Depending on the mileage of your BMW, you may want to
consider having a fresh set of spark plugs and valve conver gasket set on
hand before begninin installation.
Procedure Note: These instructions will assume the installer is familiar
with the standard ignition coil replacement procedures and has access to the
appropriate repair manuals for the applicable BMW models.
3 Series 6 cyl. 92-02 except 02 M3
5 Series 6 cyl. 91-02
5 Series 8 cyl. thru 03
7 Series 8 cyl. thru 01
8 Series 8 cyl.
Z3 All 6 cyl. (Except M Roadster/M Coupe 01 on)
X5 6 cyl. thru 02
8 cyl. thru 02
1. Open the Engine hood. Remove the plastic Valve cover trim Panels by first
removing the oil filler cap and the plastic plugs which cover the trim panel
retaining nuts. On V8s, remove the center intake manifold trim cover in a
2. For each coil, gently pry up the coil harness plug lock clip and remove
the harness plug from the coil. To avoid confusion and screwing up which
cable goes where do 1 at a time starting from the front or from the back
whatever is easier for you, I did these from the front and worked my way
3. Remove the two coil mounting bolts from coil the coil and gently pull up
the Coil assembly. The spark plug connector boot may be stuck to the plug.
If so, twist the coil a bit while pulling up. (Repeat for each coil)
4. A) Inspect spark plug cavities for evidence of any oil. If there is oil
in any of the cavities, the valve cover gasket is leaking and should be
replaced. The oil can cause random mis-fires and will contribute to
deteriorization of the spark plug connector boots.
B) If you’re installing new spark plugs, do so at this point.
5. Add the silicone dielectric compound included with your coils,
Info:Silicone Dielectric Compound conditions spark plug wires and boots to
prevent deterioration and fusing to spark plugs. Eliminates arcing and
6. Carefully install the new high-performance coil and boot assemblies over
the spark plugs and push down until the coil is fully seated and against the
valve cover. Install the coil retaining bolts.
7. Install the coil harness plugs and secure the retaining clips on the
8. Install the plastic trim cover and the oil filler cap.
Now take your bimmer for a ride!