Originally Posted by akosarow
I have a 2001 525I and it will not respond to either key to lock/unlock or arm the security system. It work year ago and just quit.
This information is on www.cardomain.com/ride/2480454/7
My keys stopped working remotely for my door locks/alarm. This is what I did!
- The key Re-initialize process.
If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialized (all keys in sequence at the same time)
1. Get in and “close all doors”
2. Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. When turning the ignition on & off it's not necessary to start the engine. The next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3. First key - hold down button #2 (unlock button) while pressing button #1 (lock button) three times. Release all buttons. All doors should lock and unlock on their own 1 time.
4. Immediately do the same thing with the other remote(s) within 30 seconds of the previous remote.
5. After all remotes have been done, turn the ignition on & off quickly again to finalize the process. When turning the ignition on & off it's not necessary to start the engine.
This process has to be done when you purchase a new key, the keys loose sync with the car, your battery dies in the remote, or when changing the remote battery and it takes longer than 10 seconds to do so.
I hope this helps. This information is in NO Way making me responsible for any errors, damages or screw ups. As with all second hand information, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!