Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
Dlink DSM-520

so my wife and i have had this Samsung HDTV for awhile now. it does 1080i, 720p, and the other SDTV and EDTV formats (bought it before 1080p was big)

but, we never really had any HD content playing. other than two local channels that do HD broadcasts over the air. there is no way im paying those rapists called comcast for hd.

the wifey has also been hounding me on making a decision about a digital media receiver since we have all this music, movies and pictures locked up on our media server in the office. a home theater pc was out (i was overruled ) so i begin looking.

i was going to get the IO data linkplayer 2, but just recently found this Dlink DSM 520. im not a fan of dlink, but the reviews and the features could not be avoided.

i have had it installed for about 2 hours and it kicks ass. (im supposed to be writing a 4000 word essay ) all our media on our home entertainment system. its so nice.

so i decided to download some 720p media. got one from nvidia and i tell you what, HD content is no joke.

for the techs out there: the DSM 520 has standard component outs, but i wanted a digital solution. it also has HDMI out, but i only have dvi on the tv. so i got this cable from newegg (same place i bought the DMR) that converts the HDMI to DVI-D dual link. works like a charm. of course i cant use the audio out of the HDMI, so im using composite audio for now .

ALSO: props to newegg. i ordered this stuff wednesday. the cable arrived yesterday, and the unit arrived today. all for the cheapest shipping.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
That's 'coz Newegg has a warehouse in south Jersey