Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Rant Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Rant Forum Explode with gripes, complaints, and rants here. Anything goes, so enter with a tough skin.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
akinthecat

Name: akinthecat
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 320i
rules and roadblocks

Its fast approaching the end of '06, so the cops here are getting very busy lately setting up road blocks and having these public awarness campaigns in the press bla bla bla.

Besides the obvious of DUI, no papers and insurance, dem cops stop everything and anything that doesn't resemble something that could roll off an assembly line.

For example, I was one the highway on my way to another part of town. there was this roadblock. I got nothing to lose since my car 'looks' generic. but i noticed that they were telling drivers of 'ricer' looking cars to pull over. would you believe it that they pull over cars with tinted windows (when tints are so widely available anywhere), huge wheels, bodykits and potato shooters.

Aftermarket wheels are so readily available here that its hard to not ignore the really good bargains. Most people i see here have aftermarket wheels (read bling bling), so i guess its a game of cat and mouse.

Just want a clear rule book that says what is legal here. And still i see those 'illegal' (according to the law here) on sale everywhere. This topic been talked about for years and years but i haven't really seen any positive enforcement.

don't get me wrong. racing on public roads (wrong!) but at least i want to know that the upgrades to my car, the visible ones at least, will be legal. It would really suck if a cop pulled over my car and asked me if those 17' are legal when my papers say i should be using 15'.

What do you all think?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
I think you make very good points. Oh, and the potato shooters should just be all out banned
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
This has been an ongoing problem since the first days of cars. And most states & countries usually fall back on "it's not illeagal to sell but to use on public roads". There's alot of stuff that's listed as "off road use only" - but the potato head geeks who write laws & enforce them don't know any better then what some potato head wrote into law and we the public get caught in the red tape. On one hand the gov't loves the taxes generated by the initial sale(s) then they also collect on the fines. Then never intended on it working like that, but there's no-one in office willing to stand on either side of the issue.