Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

7 Series (E23, E32, E38, E65, E66) General discussion and technical help for all year 7 series cars.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 AM   #16
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is
^Might be good for part numbers but this guy preaches about the dealership, i can't blame him I might if I worked for one (only if i got some sweet discounts on parts). But comon the main demographic of this site are younger people who don't want to shell out the kind of cash that dealers demand. I got some parts from the dealer not long ago and paid twice what I would have if I ordered new parts online plus shipping costs, if it wasn't a last minute desision I would have chosen otherwise.
I'm sorry that I come across like that, but it's just the way I feel about MY dealership. I know that other dealerships are not a good as mine (from what I hear). Sometimes I just feel the need to tell people that you will find MOST of your answers at the dealership (Part, service, used bmws, etc).

I hear what you say about parts, this kid came in wanting to buy a kidney grill for his e36. He bought one, and it was the wrong one. He ended up getting BOTH brand new from the parts department. I asked him how much it was....and he said $25 per kidney. I was expecting around 20, so not bad. Plus, how often do you change or get new kidney grills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcMarque
when you take the kidneys out, they're the clips that hold the chrome to the black plastic. they're like the plastic spreader clips for screws, but instead of a screw there's a 'pin' you push in to spread the bottom out so they'll hold the pieces together.
I'll remember that. I was wondering if the same clips would work for any e23 kidney grill? 735i? I'll find out.

Last edited by BMWLotAttendant; 12-14-2006 at 02:46 AM..
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Ok, sorry so long for the update. I checked it out and the parts guy said that you have to order one side of the kidney grill. The kidney grill that you order ( from the dealership), comes with 3 clips.

Both kidney grills with 6 clips would be around $100-$120.

I should have been posting earlier, but I was opening the dealership and staying out late with college friends. Then I had to pack and get ready to leave for Seattle.

Anywho, sorry about replying late. I'm going to check on the "euro trim" for an e30 next.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
QcMarque

Name: QcMarque
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 740i
No worries on the delay, it's all good.

Now when you say "one side of the kidney grill" you mean the chrome part yes? Because the black portion of the kidneys on my car is one piece (which, due to fading from the sun, will be replaced with a new one)
Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcMarque
No worries on the delay, it's all good.

Now when you say "one side of the kidney grill" you mean the chrome part yes? Because the black portion of the kidneys on my car is one piece (which, due to fading from the sun, will be replaced with a new one)
From what the parts guy said.....I understood it to be that the kidney grill came in 2 parts.

One kidney came with 3 clips to fasten the "one side of the kidney grill" in. The other part, was the other side of the kidney and it came with 3 clips. Altogether there were 6 clips, like you said.

I asked if you can purchase the clips individually, but the parts guy said that you have to buy the whole "side", left or right side depending on which kidney you want replaced.

Hope that helps. Maybe, you are best trying to find a parts place online and just trying to find the clips individually. But, if you are going to replace on side, which would be cheaper, then you might want to consider the dealership. I think it would around $50-$60 because it is a rare and older model. The model he based it off was an e23 735i, which I don't think there are major differences.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #20
QcMarque

Name: QcMarque
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 740i
I've priced the whole kidney assy. and it's close to $130 total. Prolly in the next few months I'll do that, it's a minor cosmetic issue is all.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
e39 bimmer

Name: e39 bimmer
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998/540i Sport 6 Speed
Part Number For Grille Push Pin Clips

YOU ARE IN LUCK! Just so happens I work for BMW Manufacturing in South Carolina where we make the X5 SAV, Z4 and Z4 Coupe. I have the part number you need. It's (51 13 1 885 399) I could order them for you but by the time you pay shipping you could get them at a local dealer. Not to expensive at all. Let me know if you need any other parts. I can get part numbers and part as well at a discount. You just pay for the part plus shipping. Holla!

e39bimmer
www.uniquecustoms.org
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #22
e39 bimmer

Name: e39 bimmer
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998/540i Sport 6 Speed
Yes these clips work for all BMW's up to and through the E34. Thats up to 1995 year. How do I know? For one, I work for the manufacturing plant where I see these parts come through all the time. Second, I own a e28, e34 and e39. I've seen this very clip on all those cars except the e39 and newer. After 1996 forward, the clip is similar but not exactly the same.

e39bimmer
www.uniquecustoms.org