Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Rant Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Rant Forum Explode with gripes, complaints, and rants here. Anything goes, so enter with a tough skin.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Dr1ve4fun

Name: Dr1ve4fun
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 237 / 340
Your Ride: 1985 325e
why does car stuff cost so dam much

ok..I might need a new tire not sure yet..I won't if the slime fixes the leak..but as celsdogg informed me I would need two..so that wold probably be like 300 fucking dollars which would have been more then what I needed to replace my back left side trim, the trim around my windshield and back window, and enough left over to do tint.FUCK I'v been trying to get my mom to do that stuff since I got the car and now it's all going to have to wait even longer if I need to buy tires. I think I could probably just go to a junk yard and get some of the origioanl wheels with some shit tires that'l last a few thousand miles for less then that. Why the fuck do new car parts especially cosmetic parts cost so much..their just plastic with a little bit of metal. fuck. Had i not had my mom spend a bunch of money a couple weeks ago I might be able to get her to do all of it..but now im fucked..shes not going to spend almost another thousand on me..so now I will probably have to wait half a year until my b-day. FUCK I thaught my car was going to have a near perfect exterior by february and now if I have to get tires I can't. This fucking sucks. I need a job. Then I wouldn't have to wait for my mom to be willing to give me money. But to get a job I need my licence and to get my licence I have to get my mom to actually take me down to the dmv..and she doesn't want to..she's using that I don't have enough experiance as an excuse..I don't know what it really is because I know she can afford the insurance..AND if I had my licence I could pay her for the insurance..but idk.. I don't want origional wheels though..they are too small..wait..I jsut had an idea..maybe if the slime doesn't work..I will get hre to pay for the tires and say its for x-mas..even though I already got all my x-mas stuff..lol we just get everything as it goes on sale and use it then..instead of waiting..except our new tv isnt coming until the 23rd.. but anyways get her to do the tires and then I will pay for all the cosmetic stuff out of my money that I have saved up..except it was kind of supposed to pay for the car..oh well..I'l pay her back once I have a job..just keep like 50 out of the check for gas and a little extra and give her the rest.. well..now that I typed all that I'm not as irratated about having to maybe get tires..
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
As far as tires, - tire rack.com can save you a ton of $$$ as far as the rest of your list - you need to make a priority list - first addressing how you're going to go about generating $ since "mom"is your current source - then a list of what's important. Who knows, you might even impress "mom" with your brilliance when you get organized. j/k
Old 12-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
You looking for tires for your rims? I would check out tirerack as suggested, if they are the stock rims I might suggest checking out e30tech.com as someone is almost always rims/tires.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #4
Dr1ve4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
you might even impress "mom" with your brilliance when you get organized. j/k
haha..it would..she's beent rying to get me to start using a planner and stuff...but I already kind of have a priority list..it's more that getting new tires is going to make it take longer..but since I am only 16 and I don't have a job yet that means that I am stuck getting money off of my mom..until I have my licence because we live to far from anything to walk or ride a bike to work.. edit: I forgot to say that I would check tirerack..
Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Dr1ve4fun

this might seem like a stupid question but I will ask anyways..is it ok to get a different tire..since I would have to replace two..? or do I have to keep the same tire unless I replace all four?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
If the one you"slimed"doesn't fix the prob get at least two the same size on that end of the car. New or used - just get same size and close to same wear amounts (that'll avoid further problems down the road and set your goals further back)
Old 12-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
you just have to have the same tires with the same amount of wear per axle (side to side). on a diff axle (front vs back) it wont matter as much. some people only have two snow tires that they put on their drive wheels.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
It should be OK to get just a pair for either the front or rear.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
I have two different pair, one on front, one on rear. My dad bought the rears, I bought the fronts. You'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Dr1ve4fun

ok then I will probably get some better tires..lol at least for the back thanks everyone
Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
just take the tire to a tire shop and ask them to fix it. no need in buying a new tire when you can fix it for like $20. thats what i do all the time, tire got a leak take it to a tire shop tell them its got a leak and then they patch it up and everythings good to go.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #12
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
^^^Or just go to your local auto store, buy the repair plug kit, and do it yourself. That is, as long as the hole is in the tread, not the sidewall. It only costs about 5 bucks, and you don't even have to take the wheel off the car. I don't know why people don't have this kit in their trunks
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
Dr1ve4fun

The guy at the tire place said that they can't repair tires on low profile rims...?? cus thats what I was going to do. and we have a couple big boxes full of the kits...lol there in our truck. So anyways..is what the guy said wrong? He said that the problem with repairing them is that it jeapordizes the speed rating..I was with my moms friend who is kind of annoying so I didn't go into depth with him..but if I can still go at least 75 I can deal with it..
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
yeah. it makes it so you cant travel 149. now you can only go 100. pssh. like i said, normal driving, youd be fine.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #15
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Yeah, definately get the same 2 tires on the rears and the same 2 tires on the front.

But since money seems to be the issue here, *pause* damn

Just get 2 tires with the same amount of tread and they obviously have to be the same size to fit the rim.

You should be ok. Yeah, tell your mom that you need to be more independent and get your licence so that you can 1) get a job 2) prove that you can be independant 3) You can stop bothering her for $$$ to pay for stuff.

My sister is 16 and she has a waitress job and is making bank, like $50-$80 per day on the weekends only.