Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's Sponsored by: Advance Auto Parts
Discussion of everything OEM with Advance Auto Parts

Old 12-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Arrow DIY: E30 Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Please do this at your own risk. I am not responsible if you break anything. End legal mumbo jumbo. This DIY was performed on a 1984 318i, M10 engine, manual transmission, alpine white paint, a little rusty, you know the drill. So if that is not your car, there might be a difference. I might not know what those differences are, sorry.

Alright, if you drive an E30 and your wheel shakes, makes grinding noises or wobbles when turning.... this is for you!

Here's a list of part numbers that you will need for this specific project:
New rotor hex bolt: 34111123072
New axle retaining bolt: 31211125826
New wheel bearing (or hub): 31211131297
New bolts for brake caliper: 34111154445
New bolts for brake carrier: 34111118948
New dust cap: 31211130125

You will also need a hub puller, a torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft.lbs and huge socket.
That should do it.

To start: loosen up lug nuts when car is on the ground, block the back wheels, jack up the car and take off the wheel. This is what you should see:

Okay, now the things that are going to have to come off before reassembly are the brake caliper, brake carrier, brake pads, brake rotor and finally the wheel bearing. To get most of these parts off, you'll have to use a lot of force. How do you get a lot of force on a rotating circular object suspended in the air? Lotta friction. So, apply the brakes.

To start the disassembly, somehow pry the dust cap off. The dust cap is not as big as it seems, so you will probably end up denting it or messing it up beyond reuse. (So buy and extra.) Here's the RealOEM exploded diagram: the dust cap is #4, the axle nut #3 and bearing #1.

Here's mine with out the dust cap on:

See that huge nut? Yeah. Here's where my first problem came in. The space in between the nut and the collar of the bearing is very small and I don't keep a supply of thin walled, big sized sockets around, so it took a while to locate one. Once you get the socket (I don't remember the size anymore), you are going to need a lot of torque to get it off (it's tightened down to 210 ft.lbs). So, have a helper get in the car and apply the brakes, firmly. Break the bolt loose, but don't remove it. Also, at this time, break loose the brake rotor retaining hex nut, it's easier at this time.

Next, look behind the rotor and disconnect the ABS (if you have it, I don't, so I don't know where it is) and disconnect the brake wear indicator sensor (if it isn't cut up and taped together like mine was). So, I don't really know where it is on the E30, but on the E36, the brake wear sensor is in the brake pad and the ABS is "under" the pad.

Now that you don't need the brakes anymore, it's time to remove them. Look behind the caliper and locate the 2 bolts holding the caliper onto the caliper carrier. They are 16mm.

Take those off, including the pads, hang the caliper up with either a hanger, zip tie, bungee cord or what have you. You really don't want to rip a brake line.

Now for the caliper carrier. There are two bolts holding that one (19 mm), one on top, one on bottom. They attach the carrier to the spindle. Take them off and remove the carrier.

Next, remove the brake rotor. To do this, you need to remove the rotor retaining hex bolt on the face of the rotor. That's the only thing holding it in.
[IMG]http://www.unitedbimmer.com/files/ub.c/mullethunter3/DSCF0140.jpg/IMG]
If you loosened it earlier, this will be easy, if not, spray some WD-40 on it and make a sandwich. Anyway, take the rotor off and take a look at the wheel bearing.

That's pretty. Now, some people like to beat it off with a hammer. My dad tried it and it definitely failed miserably. Get a puller from your local auto parts store.
Here's mine:

Anyway, use the instructions or figure out your puller for yourself. There are many different kinds. The operation kind of reminds me of spring compressors, so that might help. Anyway, pull the bearing off.

Now, here's a comparison of the old vs new bearings:

Now, the old one obviously doesn't have the gear looking thing on it while the new one does. Why? ABS. BMW stopped producing non-ABS wheel bearings a while back and it's okay to replace it with the new one, don't worry. Fitment is not a problem.

Anyway, it the dust shield (part #2 in the Real OEM diagram) came off with the bearing, put it on the new bearing. Easy as pie.

Now for the somewhat tricky part: you have to put the bearing on the axle perfectly straight or you will have to pull it off and do it again. Hopefully if you do it right, you won't know what I'm talking about. Get the bearing all the way on the axle shaft, being careful not to damage the innards of the bearing (i.e. don't snack them with a hammer). Put the new axle retaining nut on the end of the axle, but don't tighten it just yet.

This is what you should have.

Okay, put everything you took off back together. Keep in mind that the bolts for the brakes are only designed for one use. So slap some new ones in and be sure to put LocTite on them. Torque the rotor retaining hex nut to 12 ft.lbs and the bolts on the brake calipers to 81 ft.lbs.

Once you have the brakes reinstalled, use them. That is, to help you with tightening the axle nut to 210 ft.lbs. It also helps to put the lug bolts in the brake to keep the bearing from spinning.

Once you're all done, clean up and take your noise/shake free car out for a ride!

Last edited by mullethunter3; 02-18-2007 at 07:52 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Girl, you have no idea how well-timed this DIY was. You ftw
Old 12-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Good DIY.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Girl you need to add another of these " " to your sig. - nice job (She's "schoolin'" the boyZ)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Nice work on showing the rest of us up. Great DIY
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
mullethunter3

Yeah, if my dad ever gets around to ordering the parts, it's thermostat and waterpump time.

Daniel, why is it so perfectly timed?

and clapton, consider it done.

Last edited by mullethunter3; 12-06-2006 at 09:31 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
nice DIY. four months late...but still DIY ftw.

So since i just did my rotors in the front i should go back and replace the bolts with new ones?

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 12-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethunter3
Daniel, why is it so perfectly timed?
When I replaced my brakes a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that, while under somebody else's ownership, the threads on the wheel hub, where the rotor hoild-down bolt goes, had been stripped. THerefore, there was no bolt there. That is why my brakes were pulsating at times. I decided that I would just change the hub -- perhaps both front hubs -- instead of just having threads machined, since they are so old anyways. The thing is, I was leaning towrd just paying to have it done, but now I feel inspired to get my hands dirty again (I have read my Bentley manual and know that the process is pretty much the same for my E36).

Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #9
mullethunter3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i
So since i just did my rotors in the front i should go back and replace the bolts with new ones?
No, I left mine on my car... but on this car, the bolts sheared in half in the brake carrier when I was putting them back on. I guess they were too old, but anyway... getting the sheared bolt out of the caliper carrier was a bitch, so if you are just starting the project, buy the $1.76 bolts. It'll save you a couple of days.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
It's such a crime that your stuff isn't in the Knowledge Base.

HEY HARRY!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
mullethunter3

Chrys, I've talked to both him and witeshark. No one seems to care. That's why my signature is littered with links. I'm pretty sure the KB is dead in the water.

I mean, shit, with the projects my dad has planned for the E30, we'll probably have enough for a E30 KB, but I don't see that happening.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I did some sort of e30 thing and its lumped in with the e36 section. Harry get an e30 KB going, if you ever grace us with your precense.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
mullethunter3

Weird, what the hell happened to all the pictures? Am I going to have to upload them again?

Edit, nevermind.... BlinkFile is retarded now, I'll just use the File Manager. It's fixed.

Last edited by mullethunter3; 02-18-2007 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
defkon99

Name: defkon99
Rate My Car: 50 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 E36
hey Mullethunter great DIY! i just did my right bearing friday night too!