Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Dr1ve4fun

Name: Dr1ve4fun
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 237 / 340
Your Ride: 1985 325e
colleges for business/marketing

Anyone have any suggestions for what colleges I should look at.. My mom thinks I should stay in-state..just because it's cheaper and she has the opinion that I will get about the same education...But if I do go out of state I was looking at USC..i don't know though..theres too many..and the counselors at my school don't help much..they just give me a list of websites to go to..and then they don't know anything about the schools when I go to discuss it with them..oh..I want to major in business administration..So..any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Can I ask a serious question?

Why is everyone doing business or business administration? What do you do? Business things?

I'm not insulting your choice of major, I'm really just curious, we don't have business here.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
You could always head north to party with the Scum Devils.

I don't think that either Arizona or ASU would hurt you with their name on the degree. But I think that you would need to get to the MBA level to really cash in on a Biz degree.

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
IMHO any good standing college will do. its not so much where you go or what you learn (in my case, practically nothing) but its just that you have that paper. thats the only reason im going.

also, i would be careful what major you choose. business administration might not be a "profitable" choice for the future. reason being is information technology. its basically changing the landscape of business from the current (and outgoing) command and control structure to a flatter information based structure. without going in to more detail, this basically means that the command and control pyramid organization will be replaced and there will be far less management positions in medium to large businesses.

hm, maybe i have learned something.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Any larger name college should have a good business program. You can do some research on schools your interested in.

Amanda, as far as management goes they are basically controlling the business at a smaller level, wether thats making decisions on how something is produced, to where something is sold, there lots of them out there and believe it or not they all have a use (yes there are bad managers out there too). Any Manager will have experience doing what they do and thats why they are a manager and how they got to be one they will have a good idea of how the business runs and how best to run it (or a part of it). While Cels has an idea that they will go away I dont see it happening that much. I do agree that IT is advancing and that for hiring/firing process they can now look at a database with reviews and who is senior and all of those things but the machine can help make the decision but ultimately a person still does.

Also what do you consider business things, what are engineering things?, there are lots of them and to some extent all play a role in daily life. You want to go work at a business when your done with school and be an engineer, you will still be working for a business that has to be run and thats what the managers are for. You can't just run off and design something you will have limitations on what you can do and afford, wether or not thats a monetary limitation from a budget or are looking for new equipment to purchase (especially if large). Hell you might even one day become a manager, and I'm certain even if you are an engineer you will still have to interact with the suits (each side might not know what the hell the other is saying), but you will still need them to do your job.

You left a broad question of what Business Administation majors do, but I can tell you that they have some experience in most of the main business aspects (accounting/finance/marketing/supply chain/mangement). Since its not my major I can't say what they do completely but know they do perform an important task.

If you want to know more about Finance (my major and several others here) I can tell you more about that. Just wanted to defend the business people some, because your question kind of seemed like why are they so special.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Dr1ve4fun

The reason I decided on business is because I at least think..that it will give me a general education where I know about all of the aspects of woning/running a business.. I plan on going into sales at least through college. maybe longer idk..the way I was raised I will make alot of money in sales. I have always been exposed to everything about businesses so it just seems right..After college I want to own a few different businesses. It's kind of weird..when I started HS I took a class with computer crap and business combined thinking that I wanted to get into computer engineering stuff.but after I took that class I completely shifted to marketing and have no interest in computers now..as far as the mba..I was thinking stanford...idk I need to look at the different majors a little more still but I have time I don't graduate until next year..unless I decide to do my classes faster..which I could..
Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
I recommend that you look for schools in your state or in any schools in neighboring states that will charge you in-state tuition (this is sometimes possible). This will save you money, and I don't think the prestigious schools are worth going into debt. Then again, if money is not an issue, just search for the top programs, I think the one in Penn is #1 at the moment (they kind of go back and forth with Harvard).

An education is such a personal matter that I think you can do well if you go through just about any large accredited program. You will have to do REALLY well if you want to get into Stanford's MBA, but a buddy of mine that went to the University of Arkansas (#28 business school in the nation) just did last fall (for reference: he triple-majored in electrical engineering, computer engineering, and economics, and graduated in three years with a 4.0 GPA).

Amanda, as far as studying business, one thing I envy from that major is that it leaves many options open once you graduate. All industries need managers that make the money decisions, which is why business managers are necessary. I wish the people here where I work had some sort of a formal business training. I learned some in college, but I didn't get a degree in the field -- yet I feel like I have more business sense than many of those who work here. Personally, I am planning on getting an MBA after I get done with my current degree. I want to be that guy that understands both the engineering side of things as well as the business matters.

drtye30, how are your grades? Are you expecting to get full-ride scholarship offers? Do you expect any trouble getting admitted to schools? I know maybe this is too personal, but it does dictate to a certain extent what your search paraters will be.

I will try to do some research about schools in your area and come back with concrete suggestions.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
^Engineering and a MBA is a sweet combo, mostly because you will undstand both sides of the business and people will toss $$$$ at you.

Dirtye30 i know its a while away but once you get your undergrad go work for a few years and then get the MBA you will be worth much more and have more practical experince then someone who just gets the undergrad and then gets a MBA.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
mullethunter3

Name: mullethunter3
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 156 / 340
Your Ride: 318is, Suzuki GS500
Thanks guys for answering my question. I kind of understand Business majors. A little bit. Keep in mind, I'm not insulting, just curious.

In the engineering fields, we have "Engineering Managment" and "Information Science and Technology" whatever those mean. I just never saw what kind of careers stemmed from a business degree.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Whatever you do, DO NOT, live at home and go to school and work. Unless you like to save money, being cheap, and being by yourself or hardly any hs friends.

I totally regret missing out on the whole "college" experience.

In state is much cheaper, I suggest living in the dorms your first couple semesters, and then after finding some good friends....then move into an apartment with friends to lower the expenses.

As far as a Business Administration major, I'm one of those....with a concentration in Finance. I'll explain more about that in details....after I take a shower. I'm freezing...it was a high of 28 degrees with freezing rain/ice storm.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
Dr1ve4fun

my grades are't really an issue I have like 3.6 right now but by the time I graduate itl be like 3.8/9 My attendance is not good..thats going to be the biggest issue right now..thanks in advance for looking... I wasn't going to get the mba right away..I kind of planned on working first..and....yeah..I'm only living at my moms house until I have a good enough income to get a decent apartment..well..if I end up going to UA...which I don't especially want but..I might end up there.. thank you everyone for your input though
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
Dr1ve4fun

just remembered I didn't mention that next year I'm dual enrolling with a community college here to get some extra credits. And I'm taking summer school for the same thing..
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
CAPiTUL

Name: CAPiTUL
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 328i
I'll be honest, the caliber of business school you go to helps determine the type of job you will land. If you want to get into the IBD with a large investment firm, you will have to come from an Ivy League school. There is really no way around it. Even THEY have to compete for those jobs. Either that or put in a loooooooooot of years with the firm and hope for the best.

Also consider where you want to live when all is said and done. Do you want to live in Virginia? Look into VA schools or schools that'll pull their weight in VA. So forth and so on.
When I was a kid, we had the Atari 2600 with games like Space Invaders and Asteroids! There were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! .... Just like LIFE!

http://www.aftermarketcity.net/forum/
The BEST online directory for your car needs!

ユナイテドビーマーはいいですよ!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Ok. A Business Administration major is a combination of business classes that prepare you for the business side of companies and how they operate.

Take me for example.
I have taken the following BA core classes:

1 statistics + a lab of how to do the statistics by using Excel on the computer. Statistics, probability, standard deviation, averages, means of companies values.

2 Economics: Micro Economics and Macro Economics. Micro is the small things that companies do to operate in the market environment, and Macro is the big market pictures...GDP, Supply and demand...etc.

2 Accounting courses, basic accounting and management accounting. Accounting is calculating numbers and finding where they go on the 4 different Financial forms that a publically traded company has to publicly display.

2 Finance classes, basic finance and managment finance. Finance is estimating how much a company is worth, using the Accounting numbers and determining returns and values of a companies equity and comparing it to other companies.

1 Marketing class, basic marketing how to advertise and caputure the public to increase sales for a company.

1 Law class, the business side of the legal enties that a company has to follow.

1 Entrepneurship class, how to create your own company and steps to follow to keep it going.

1 Money and Banking. How business operate as far as cash and in and outflow of daily operational cash flows.

1 International Business class--how to function in different parts of the world, who's the best world wide, currency differences.

1 Management class, how companies manage their employees, how to motivate, ethical decisions in the work envirornment.

1 Operations class, how companies function and compensate for different situations that arrise in a business.

1 Capstone class, Simulations....yearly operations and how they result in a business environment.

Then, whatever you want to emphasize in....you just take more of the same classes. For Finance, you have to take 5 additional finance classes to graduate.

Anywho, I think I got all of the general business classes.

Getting a business degree is good, and taking summer classes and winter classes (if you are on semesters) is very good if you want to get ahead in the college game. With a business administration major you can do basically anything in a company to start. You just have to find which subjects you like best and take more of them.

I'm going to work a couple years and then go back and get my MBA. I'm sick of school and want to get out in the business world. Hands on experience that can help me and my future company that I work for in the near future.

*edit* I missed Management Information Systems (MIS), which is about the technology and computers, setting up websites and creating LANs and networks and stuff.

Last edited by BMWLotAttendant; 11-30-2006 at 12:15 AM..
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
Dr1ve4fun

thanks that helped alot. I think I will end up getting tired of school too..I already am..I just hope college is at least a little bit better..