Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > 5-Series > E12, E28, E34, E39, E60
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 General discussion and technical help for all year 5 series cars.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
djfactor

Name: djfactor
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 528i
528I gear problem, Please help me guys, plz plz

Hello everyone.

I just bought a BMW 1998 e39 (528i Touring) Automatic/steptronic transmission. The car was bought from an auction and most of the engine wires (Plug/Inserts) were taken off, I assembled all the wires and everything was fitted by me.........The Car gave me the ABS/ASC light and the gear light. In order to get the MOT(Vehicle Worthy on road certification) i had the gear light Reset (But the ABS/ASC light is still on) and i got the MOT done. Now after 4 days im getting this problem. On P the panel shows me S2 light, when i change my gear to R it doesnt show me the light and i can reverse, on N i stand still but no light and on D, the light doesnt come up and i cant go past the first gear. The car goes to 40Mph and the RPM goes to hell.

When i change the gear to S it shows S2 and i can only use Manual gears effectively but then the 1-2-3-4-5 gear light doesnt show on the panel. Sometimes everything works fine and 99% of the time its just that i can drive on the manual gear select. The Automatic transmission doesnt work on D, i mean it wont go past first gear.

Can someone please tell me what is the problem. what needs to be changed, replaced or what is the likely problem. I dont want to go to BMW as i know they will kill me with a huge bill and as for i have no cash left, worst scenario im a student and im just paying of my student loan too. Please help me out ppl. Please tell me the best solution.. Plz Plz Plz Plz......thanks in advanced
Old 10-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
i dont know, but doesnt the automatic transmission have like its own computer(thats why u can chip the tranny?).. either way, id check the connection to that or the actual computer itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
djfactor

Name: djfactor
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 528i
Thanks xzperf, how wud you do that, sorry im just a newbie...
Old 10-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
hah, im just as much of a newbie when it comes to auto trannies, someone on here's bound to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit