Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > Car Audio and Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Car Audio and Electronics
Skyler O'brien Now On ITunes
Sponsored by: SKOB on itunes
Discuss sub and speaker setups, GPS navigation, XM radio, and anything else related to car audio and electronics.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
HD Radio, yay or nay + goodies

Since I found that my old thread with the busted CD player didn't get much attention towards my questions at the end, here's new thread about those questions.

Is HD radio really worth it?
Recommendations on goodies? (look below)

I'm looking at two of the recommended cd players for my E46. Clarion and Alpine. Clarion looks more simplistic, more normal, more like it fits in the BMW dash. The colors it gives out can match the cluster so, hence, it matches better than other's on the market. Downside, no HD radio either built in or as an add on. Also, it doesn't have the other little goodies that alpine and even Kenwood have.

Now the alpine, roughly the same price range (starting) is HD ready (~$250+ for HD radio module, unless u want to dish out the $1400 for the model with it built in), has accessories for bluetooth integration (~$150+ for the module) and flash card plug in (~$200+ for module) but doesn't exactly match the interior of the car and becomes quite pricey in the end.

So, I guess i can do without all those goodies, though I REALLY wanted a flashdrive port. And for the HD radio, I was hearing advertising for it on local radio and reading a little about it on crutchfield.com. So is it really that GREAT a feature to have so I should dish out close to $1000 for a head unit with an HD module? Or is it better to ignore my wants, go with Clarion and hope that some day in the future, Clarion will release thier own flashdrive port and HD radio device that will easily integrate with a soon to be recent purchase?

These are my dilemas, unless someone else knows of a head unit that can match up with my wish list.

Dough

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 09-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
would you really use the HD radio? thats a question i would ask myself, because i dont use anything but cd's.

but that flash card reader would be pretty nice.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
From all the ones I hear and listen to it really does sound good and helps with reception

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.