Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
akinthecat

Name: akinthecat
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1999 320i
Fuel filter change

Hi y'all! I got my fuel filter changed last weekend since i figured that it was never changed since i got the car. Well, i got an oem fuel filter from the agent here and had her install them in my car. They showed me the fuel pouring out of the old fuel filter. It was like the coffee i had this morning.

The car runs brilliantly, no hesitation off the line not running sluggishly. I did notice though that the fuel consumption had increased dramatically! on a full tank of gas (bout B$26) i can run around with normal use for approx. 450km. dats was with the old fuel filter and general use with no street racing and with the a/c on. Now, with the new filter i'm down to a quarter tank and its just 280km mileage...

The engine oil been changed, new plugs. Wat gives???
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
curtishead

Name: curtishead
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 330i
Ahh, maintenance. It pays my bills.

Mods: Ping Eye 2 Black Dots in the trunk. Considering Anti-Spouse Ejection System by Whamo.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
you might have been starving the car of fuel before, thus ure improved mileage. thats just speculation tho.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
akinthecat

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg
you might have been starving the car of fuel before, thus ure improved mileage. thats just speculation tho.
Could be...I do feel an increase in the engine's response. Gonna get the injector's checked out and take a look at the fuel delivery system. So far the car is running fine. "if it ain't broke don't fix it?"
Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
SERB3

Name: SERB3
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
I just replaced the filter on my car and it made a HUGE difference, much more response to the throttle..we ll see how the milage goes tho.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
billycuth

Name: billycuth
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 Acura TL
anybody got a DIY on this?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
akinthecat

Click here to set it up.
helo billy,

There's a good write up from www.pelicanparts.com. its a relatively simple process but if you choose to do this on yr own remember not to smoke since since there will be fuel leaking all over the place. the best thing is to let your car run almost empty so that way, all that fuel will not gush out. The mechanic changed mine in under 15 minutes.

This has made a huge difference in the way the car respond to throttle command. Btw, if anyone had been reading my story where I bitch about the dramatic decline in the fuel economy, i have some very good news!!!

I am now on my full second tank down to a quarter right now. I've got 468km from her. This is with the a/c on and city driving with i normally don't do. Figure i can get another 15-30km from her, but it proves to me that the engine took time to readjust to more, cleaner fuel. That's just me.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg
I think thats possible too, engine was being starved but now its got alot more respose right?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
The computer probably took a little time to adjust to the change. Before it had to open the injectors more to compensate for the lower fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Now that there is a higher pressure at the fuel rail, the computer can back off the injector pulse width (amount of time and magnitude that the injector is open). Changes like that can sometimes take some time to come back to equilibrium.

Also, could it be possible that the new found throttle response cause you to drive extra spirited for a little while until you realized how much gas you were burning? Just a thought.

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
^^^
very possible. i know if my car felt peppier i would drive a little harder.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 08-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
akinthecat

Click here to set it up.
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...could be...

That was one of those things i paid for which i didn't regret to replace in the car. The car's purring along nicely, just that over here in the tropics its been raining really hard so its impossible to keep the car clean (on the outside anyway).

Btw, when i took the car for a look see to see if the injector's were clogged, the mechanic told me to wait for the next tank of gas and come back if the problem persists. I never did came back since it was back to driving a much snappier car with better mileage.

any other fuel saving tips?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinthecat

any other fuel saving tips?

Shift sooner
Accelerate slower
Inflate your tires a few more PSI
Conserve your momentum by not racing up to red lights, and by slightly accelerating before you come to a hill
Don't use A/C
Cruise in a higher gear

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
I very much agree with maintaining momentum, i.e. avoiding the energy loss (and fuel consumption) that you have to regain by reaccelerating and using the lower gears. Other tips: get rid of unnecessary weight in the trunk and back seat; shut off engine at long stop lights or in heavy traffic (perhaps easier to do with a manual transmission); this is rather picky, but keep the car clean and waxed; windows closed at anything above 45 mph or so (open sunroof seems to be less of an issue); and this may not be kosher, but when driving conditions permit, put the car in neutral and take advantage of that downward slope in the road, I just love to see the OBC register 99.9 mpg, if even for 10 or 15 seconds, and it seems to make a small albeit significant improvement in fuel economy.