Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
billycuth

Name: billycuth
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 Acura TL
Valve cover leaking oil?

I got my car inspected today in PA, and unfortunately, the only mech I trust to fix my bimmer is the dealer. I have had issues with most other mechs in the area. Anyway, a problem they found, but does not need to be fixed for the car to pass is a leaky valve cover. I figure it is an easy fix, but needed to ask you guys if you have ever had the problem and what is required to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

PS they wanted $18 to change a burnt out brake light

$200 to fix this leak... I am sure I can do it for cheaper.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
pracklam

Name: pracklam
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Very easy repair. Gaskets should run about $25. Be sure you get both the gasket that runs around the perimeter of the valve cover and the (2) gaskets that go around the spark plug holes. The spark plug gaskets are the most prone to leaking. Also, you should put some silicone sealer at the front of the main gasket where the VANOS unit mates to the head and at the back of the gasket where the two semicircular depressions are located. Refer to the tech article on pelicanparts.com for a good DIY.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
^^^ Yes. Everything he said.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Antiburn

Name: Antiburn
Rate My Car: 193 / 340
Your Ride: 92 525, 88 325 hardtop'ed vert and 83 320iS
Dont forget the 18 or so rubber washers that the bolts go around. its always good to change then too.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
billycuth

Click here to set it up.
Im gonna need help on the silicone sealer, there boys. remember, I am fairly new to the engine bay. I have only added a CAI, new coil packs/spark plugs, I change my own oil, but that's about it.

whats a good silicone sealer? How much do I have to pull apart to put this gasket in? Is there anything else I should look to replace while I have it pulled apart?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Permatex black or orange are the best (used with gaskets) Both are aneroebic (doesn't contain some acids that eat slowly into aluminum heads) TIP: when using silicone gasket sealer on anything - apply your sealer then WALK away for 10 to 20 minutes - let it cure a little before assembly. (the pelican parts DIY is a pretty good instructional)
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
billycuth

Click here to set it up.
thanks C1. I just bought Wayne's book for my e36 too. Plenty of projects to keep me busy.

I am enjoying every project I do more and more. I am never going to want to let this car go.

I am so glad I took that GTO back.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
c1apton

They can be very addictive (as you've probably noticed...lol) and if you treat them right they'll last you longer than most rides out there. Just don't overlook basic maintenance. If you keep basic maintenance upfront then do your mods then things go smooth. It's when mods come first they tend to amplify the neglected maintenance then you go backwards & it turns into a nightmare.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
billycuth

Click here to set it up.
I am learning! I have had her for almost 4 years now, and I havent really stepped back and looked at all I have done to her.

She needs a new interior, a new paint job, and obviously, a new valve cover gasket. But other than that, she's good to go. Tranny fluid will need to be exhanged soon, but she runs really well. I never let maintenance items go. Oil change ever 3k miles, filter clean every 10 or so.

The one item I would like to get better at is the cooling system. I want to make sure my water pump is the metal kind and in good condition and I also want to change that fluid out, but I am always tenative to mess with it.

oh well, one at a time.... )
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
pracklam

Name: pracklam
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is
You will only need to remove the black plastic trim covers, coils and the 18 (+/-) bolts that fasten the valve cover to the head. I didn't replace the rubber donuts on each bolt, but I would recommend it.

Now would be a good time to strip and paint your valve cover if it is peeling as is typical. I used high temp paint from Advance Auto and it matched the original color almost perfectly. Be sure to prepare the surface well before painting and only apply light coats at one time per the spray can directions or you will get orange peel. I wanted to have mine stripped and clear anodized (or powder coated) but time and money would not allow.

After you get the valve cover off, I would inspect the cam lobes for any scoring and wear. Also check the secondary chain tensioner. It should be putting enough pressure on the secondary chain so that there is no visible chain slack and gives a pretty good resistance when pressing down on the middle of the chain. I have found the timing chains to be very rugged so I would expect that the chains are still in good condition.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
c1apton

Good Advice "prack"