Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
POS_BMW

Name: POS_BMW
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 300 / 340
Help With Fuel pump and no power!!!

Hello,

I wouldn't consider myself a bmw noob but here we go:

one day car wouldnt start (e36 1993 325i), so i thought it was the DME, so got a used one from the junk yard, no such luck, so i realized that it must be a fuel problem because i was getting no fuel to my fuel rail.

i changed the fuel filter and fuel pump and still the car won't start. It appears that there's no power going to the fuel pump as with the new pump and the car in the on position, the pump just does nothing. Plus I have a test light and there seems to be no power to the pump from the plugs and no power going to Fuse #18 for the fuel pump

Does anyone have any knowledge on what could cause this problem? Please let me know.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
i don't know if anything like a bad ground, could cause this. I am having a similar problem on my project pickup truck, once I fix that I can probably pass inspection
Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/t...placement.html

Read the section on testing relays.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
POS_BMW

Name: POS_BMW
Rate My Car: 300 / 340
Update!

So I had my friend bring me a new fuel pump from BMW and we attempted to start the car, no luck, so we took apart the relay, and "Jumped" it to turn on the fuel pump, the fuel pump turns on and begins pumping to the fuel rail GREAT!!! Just a bad relay right?

So we attempt to start the car with no such luck, it still wont turn over..so now I know we have FUEL (my friend is manually forcing the Fuel pump to turn on while I crank) Still NOTHING!!!!!! I was most vexed and my friend brought a spark plug tester (a spark plub that u attached to the wire and ground to see if the car has spark.

Now I have no spark when I turn the car on. could it also be a bad DME? DME Relay???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. He order the 2 relays for me (fuel and DME) and we're going to attempt another try on friday with the new relays.

My friend thought that since maybe I tried 2 different ECU's that the cars EWS got confused and is not accepting any DME (newer or original) So it may need to be "reprogrammed" or maybe something else?!?!

Any advice?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
zeit00

Name: zeit00
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 39 / 340
Cps??
Old 07-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
defkon99

Name: defkon99
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 50 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 E36
have u disconected the battery ?doing this will reset the ECU.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
ixgarry

Name: ixgarry
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 95 325is
Me too!!!

My 95 325is is doing the same thing. It was sitting for several months during bodywork and fuel pump stopped working. I removed pump, soaked in Seafoam and got it running. Drained old gas and purged lines. Now I'm getting no current to pump. Fuses okay, relays okay, tried a different DME with my chip in it. Still nothing! I'll keep at it. Good Luck
Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
dunsgamer

Name: dunsgamer
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325I conv.
are you ingaging the starter when you are looking for power at the fuel pump? the pump only runs for 5 sec.and then will not start again untill it see's the starter run. you can turn the switch off and on and it will not run the fuel pump. try just bumping the starter each time you check the pump voltage.