Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > M3
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

M3 General discussion and technical help all year M3 cars.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Alpine328i

Name: Alpine328i
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Alpine White 1996 328i
Buying an ///M

Hi all,

I've already got an E36 328i, but I had the priviledge to drive an E36 ///M3 recently and I'm in love. I'm going to get one probably next month (and keep the 328i too).

So my question: which year is the best E36 ///M3? I know everyone's gonna say the newer the better, but that's not always the case. I know that certain years have their quirks and common problems, etc.. so I'm looking to you ///M guys to help me out.

I've driven an E46 (2002????) ///M and it just didnt seem to have the same fel as the E36, I like the E36 better (I believe it was a 95)

Suggesions?

"In the road of life there are Bimmers and there are Bimmers"

Mods: Full JDM lighting, APC bulbs, ///M rims, Four wheel Brembo rotors, Bilstein Touring suspension.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
you will probably get a response asking if you want to mod it (engine wise). If you do, 95 will be. it is the last year that had obd1.

it doesn't matter if you don't want to mod it though. get something that is in great shape, you treat it well.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
Lets Clarify this first.

how old are you? if you're less than 25 years old, After recent events, nobody here is going to recommend the letter M to you. While an E36 isn't nerly as fast as an E46, it still comes with a need to speed.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
Click here to set it up.
I would look at a 1995 also. If you want obd 2, then I would go for a 98-99. The obd 2 have problems with the vanos, which is an expensive fix.

540i with some mods

Last edited by dinan540; 07-13-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
yea 95, its the only year in the US that they made an OBDI e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Alpine328i

Click here to set it up.
Lets clarify this first.

chrisdoesntknow, no... I'm not some kid with a dream. I'm 26 and I have money, a love for BMW, and the need for speed (carefully).

I believe I know what recent events you're speaking of, and I certainly dont mean any disrespect.

So, having said that, I've heard about the OBD1, and I've had the 95 recommended by a few people.

Wha I'd like to do is make a car with a shit load of power that can be just my fun car and a car that I can work on and upgrade myself. I'll keep the 328i for my daily driver. Although, it's been a HUGE money pit lately, so I dont know for sure yet, I might just sell it for cheap (maybe 7 grand-ish) and get the M for a fun car and an E46 for a daily driver or something.

So, for clarification on the OBD1... This, essentially, means I can do more engine/exhaust mods on it and not worry about emissions, etc. Is this correct? Can someone educate me on exactly what OBD1/OBD2 means? Thanks in advance.

Mods: Full JDM lighting, APC bulbs, ///M rims, Four wheel Brembo rotors, Bilstein Touring suspension.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Chris

Click here to set it up.
95 FTW then.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
xsperf

yes thats exactly what it means, for instance, if you want to have a straight through pipe with no cats, on a 95 you can go ahead and do it, however on a 96+ you cant.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
Well with an OBD 2, couldn't you just weld in 02 simulators?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
///Mman721

Name: ///Mman721
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E36 M3
I don't mean to change the subject back, but back to what chrisdoesntknow said about being young and driving an ///M car-- I believe that someone young can drive an ///M3 as long as they are mindful of the risk they are taking when they are driving excessively fast---myself, I am 18, and driving the ///M has more to do with me as a driver than the car. Also since I bought the car myself, I am quite mindful of the risk. As long as you are careful and wise, you will be fine with an ///M (except women, haha jk). I used to drive pretty much the same way when I had my 318is, which had very little power, as I do now with my ///M. Not to be disrespectful, but unfortunate events shouldn't dictate how we view fast cars for young people.

Alpine 328i, I suggest to get the e36///M. Since you're over 25, insurance should be A LOT cheaper than if you were younger. But having an ///M does make you wanna have a second car as a daily driver because its a very special car. Mine is my daily driver but I am looking to getting a e21 for my daily driver. Its cheap, and not too expensive for repairs.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Alpine328i

Click here to set it up.
94bmw325i, what does "weld in 02 simulators" mean?

Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
xsperf

well, if you remove the cats, that means you remove the o2 sensors, which will trigger your check engine light, however some companies like AA sell 02 simulators where its like a plug that you plug in the 02 sensors and it will simulate them and turn off your check engine light, that costs 150 dollars, why bother with the OBDII, and besides, the modifications that you can do on OBDI and not on OBDII is not limited to straight pipes

Quote:

Old 07-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Alpine328i

Click here to set it up.
Can you elaborate on, "and besides, the modifications that you can do on OBDI and not on OBDII is not limited to straight pipes"??

I'm basically looking for a good reason to buy an 11 year old car and not, lets say, an E46 ///M.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
xsperf

heh, if you can afford an e46 by all means get that, theres no reason to modify that uve got enough power already!

Quote:

Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Chris

Click here to set it up.
You can't just weld them in like that. If you weld them in on an OBD2 your emissions readings at the O2 sensors are still going to be below the limit which will do two things. First it will activate your secondary air pump which literally dumps air into the system to get the Emissions down, and then after that fails and you ruin your Secondary Air pump (not designed to be always active, usually only runs 2-3 minutes a day) its going to throw an engine code anyways.