Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
My current Nokia, which by the way is laying on my desk dead, functioned average. Nothing really stood out. It's reception was nothing to be excited about. Gradually, as the months passed, the reception died off. I began getting dropped calls and busy signals (even though that's not from the phone).

So, as far as durability, my friend, your way off. VERY durable... I laugh. I have dropped it a few times, onto carpet and once onto tar. But I've done worse to other phones. My final opinion of the Nokia brand is sub par. Thier open face makes it very easy to get dust and other contaiminents into the electronics and durablilty is minimal at best. Not to mention the speaker phone, ha, i have to hold it to my ear to hear. Granted putting it on a desk face up makes it louder for some reason, but i only used that function while in the car... ie, "hands free."

But, yea. I'm sure all of us have had a shitty phone at one point. There could be two reasons for it: Reception and Quality Control. For me, it was mainly quality control as having three GSM towers within three miles of my house should've given me supream reception. With this phone, in my room, I could bearly get one bar in the end.

Dough

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #17
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Update to that List...

Scratch off the HP hw6515a
Replace with the hw6925/6920

Specs....
Quad Band GSM PDA
GPS antenna, Bluetooth, USB
Windows Mobile 5
416Mhz
3in screen TFT
1.3MP camera
64MB SDRAM and 64MB Flash ROM
1200mAh Lith-Ion battery
SD and mini-SD slots
Microphone, reciever, speaker, one 2.5mm stereo jack, MP3 stereo
4.65"X2.8"X0.71"
6.16 ounces.
oh... and WiFi

Review from MobileTechReview.com:
HP iPAQ hw6915

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D

Last edited by doughboyea; 07-02-2006 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #18
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
How strange. My first phone was a Nokia and worked ok until the battery started getting loose and randomly turning the phone off. After that my Motorola V220 proved a million times better. I guess where you are makes all the difference
Old 07-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboyea
My current Nokia, which by the way is laying on my desk dead, functioned average. Nothing really stood out. It's reception was nothing to be excited about. Gradually, as the months passed, the reception died off. I began getting dropped calls and busy signals (even though that's not from the phone).

So, as far as durability, my friend, your way off. VERY durable... I laugh. I have dropped it a few times, onto carpet and once onto tar. But I've done worse to other phones. My final opinion of the Nokia brand is sub par. Thier open face makes it very easy to get dust and other contaiminents into the electronics and durablilty is minimal at best. Not to mention the speaker phone, ha, i have to hold it to my ear to hear. Granted putting it on a desk face up makes it louder for some reason, but i only used that function while in the car... ie, "hands free."

But, yea. I'm sure all of us have had a shitty phone at one point. There could be two reasons for it: Reception and Quality Control. For me, it was mainly quality control as having three GSM towers within three miles of my house should've given me supream reception. With this phone, in my room, I could bearly get one bar in the end.

Dough
I am way off?...
Possibly it is that model in particular, but as I said, I am not sure about the newest ones.

Nothing stands out about nokias, which is great. I love phones that are simple.

I put phones through extensive damage... I throw them, dropped them, ect. My best friend has had the same Nokia for the past few years... He gets pissed very easily and tends to throw his phone at the wall or ground... Still works like a charm.

Maybe they make shitty phones for the east coast
Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #20
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Go and play with them first, I wanted a razor too, but after playing with it, I changed my mind, didn't like the way the keys felt

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #21
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
The only thing I don't like about my razor is the damn external camera key. I have more pictures of my lighter, keys and anything else in my pocket.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #22
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
I had to get any phone... waiting around for some product to come onto the market sometime in the future (as these manufactures don't know when they'll put it on) is pointless. I'm still paying for this service and can't use it.

So I got a V3i. Cost me $205 + $35 s/h/i.
Ebay: Motorola Razr V3i

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
I was thinking of getting that too.

Tell me how you like it when you get it and have used it for awhile.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #24
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
The only thing I don't like about my razor is the damn external camera key. I have more pictures of my lighter, keys and anything else in my pocket.
That's what I HATE about my Samsung e335.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #25
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLotAttendant
Tell me how you like it when you get it and have used it for awhile.
I will let you know... maybe I will write up a little review of it too.

BTW, Happy Birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
Refering to the side buttons... isn't there an option to lock the buttons so that doesnt' happen?

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 07-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #26
CAPiTUL

Name: CAPiTUL
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 328i
razr is over rated. there is nothing terribly special about that phone. The only cool thing about it is the slim line case. That is quickly becoming common place. Fuck it, let us all just buy GSM, Japanese phones w/dual language support. If I go to Japan, I will be your connection. ;-)
When I was a kid, we had the Atari 2600 with games like Space Invaders and Asteroids! There were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! .... Just like LIFE!

http://www.aftermarketcity.net/forum/
The BEST online directory for your car needs!

ユナイテドビーマーはいいですよ!
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #27
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Yea that's exactly why I didn't want to get it... too common place. I see these things in every one's hands. Last winter I went to see "The Producers" in NYC and in front of me was a row of college aged people... and EVERY SINGLE one of them had it. Like some sort of parade of V3's. They were snapping pics of each other and shit... made me kinda put off by it.

I got it because I couldn't see the point in waiting all summer for the possibility for a cell phone to come out while in the mean time, I'm stuck paying the $47/mo with no cell phone. I wanted the quadband feature but I also didn't want to get a 1st gen phone. Since the V3 has been around for about 2 years now, the V3i being the last of this model production until the V3x comes out, I figured it was worth the money to just get a friggin phone. I also wanted to make sure I had the ability to go global.

So yea, V3i it is..... for now.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #28
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboyea
I will let you know... maybe I will write up a little review of it too.

BTW, Happy Birthday!

Refering to the side buttons... isn't there an option to lock the buttons so that doesnt' happen?

Dough

Thanks

I hear you about everybody and their mom has a V3, I'm sick of seeing them, but when washing that Alpina Z8 on Friday, that customer had one too...so I think I might just give in and get it.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #29
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
wanna talk about cingulars billing errors? my brother was supposed to be on a 3k message plan and he was still going over by some 1800 texts a month and it was killing us in the wallet. we found out he's signed up for 200 and i got his 3000.... it was supposed to be the other way arond. they don't care. they got their money and won't admit to their error.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #30
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdoesntknow
wanna talk about cingulars billing errors? my brother was supposed to be on a 3k message plan and he was still going over by some 1800 texts a month and it was killing us in the wallet. we found out he's signed up for 200 and i got his 3000.... it was supposed to be the other way arond. they don't care. they got their money and won't admit to their error.
If you complain enough to customer service they should take care of it