Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
Cell died... help me decide a new one :)

Ok forgive my writing, i'm half awake right now...

My cell phone died last week. of course fuckin cingular says my warranty expired last month. So now i'm paying for a service that i cannot use. I've been looking on ebay for quite a while now trying to find an optimal unlocked clam shell GSM phone. I was looking at the Razor V3i, but damn, they keep going for over $200.

Anyone know of a good place to get better prices or perhaps can recommend another quad band phone that, for lack of a better term... rocks, and isn't a money pit?

Dough

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 06-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Yo! What's your phone? Try getting a new battery? Other than that Motorola V180 or V220 suggested
Old 07-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #3
k318iS

Name: k318iS
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 118 / 340
I just bought the new Moto Q... It's an awesome PDA/phone, in the RAZR style... But that probably doesn't help you, does it?

Anyways, if you are thinking about the RAZR, at least try to go for the V3x or the V3i over the V3, the V3c or the V3m... The i has the same physical characteristics of the c or m, but has iTunes and more... The x has a bit of a different style, but has 2 cameras, outside (2.0 MP!) and inside for video telephony, internal memory, SD card, and more...it's apparently a bit heavier though...

Either way, they're a kool phone... get the i if you want iTunes especially...

Oh, and the above info is partially from experience, but partially from information openly available online, as we don't have the x up here in Canada yet... But I have used the i, it performs very well...

Hope that helps...
Old 07-01-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I am also in the same boat my cell is on its last legs and When i return home from my trip I plan on getting a new phone I will probably end up with a razr from verizon but if there are any other really good options that would be good to know.

*edit - anyone know if I can use an unlocked quad band phone with verizon (i wish they would introduce newer technology)

Last edited by nick_318is; 07-01-2006 at 05:12 AM..
Old 07-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
^^^ i have heard that you can, but you have to make sure its CDMA and some of vz's features may not work. thats ok tho, because vz will rape you for that garbage.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
The V3x is a triband, not quad. And the internal camera will not work unless someone else has the same feature and I dont know if it will even work with cingulars serivce. Plus the shear price tag of it is a major turn off.

I just really want to find a good source for a phone. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. The current phone that I have is a nokia 6620 I think.

It's a partial PDA but it's keys are very small and my fat hands can't handle it too well. The last time it was working, I noticed that the battery was getting low, i turned it off to save power, turned it on about an hour or so later and the screen turned white. Nothing else happened. Took it to cingular, they told me my screen is shot. They also told me, warranty expired last month and I can't get an upgrade until November. "So what do I do, O-Mighty cellphone people"...... "BUY another one"

So, as I mentioned in the first post, I was looking at an unlocked V3i, but still, it's going for over $200 (on ebay). I was also thinking about an Ericsson but again, the ones that are nice... are really pricey.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
You DO have insurance right? If so do the following:

#1) PLOP, FLUSH.....
#2) Hello Cingular, someone stole my phone....

That's how you get upgrades.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
This is X2.

I'm in the market for a new phone too.

I'm listening too.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
CAPiTUL

Name: CAPiTUL
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 328i
I have to +1 the Motorolla Q. That is THE best one on the market right now. I don't think it is sold for cingular, yet, but you can go to verizon and purchase the phone and unlock it.

Btw, I have cingular and they SUCK! Their customer service is horrible, they've committed billing errors, and I can't use my phone when I'm inside. It is horrible. I, personally, am about to make the switch to Verizon, I think.
When I was a kid, we had the Atari 2600 with games like Space Invaders and Asteroids! There were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! .... Just like LIFE!

http://www.aftermarketcity.net/forum/
The BEST online directory for your car needs!

ユナイテドビーマーはいいですよ!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
My Cingular experience has been better. And switching may mean cancelling a contract. Also, Cingular = GSM network which = world phone
Old 07-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTUL
Btw, I have cingular and they SUCK! Their customer service is horrible, they've committed billing errors, and I can't use my phone when I'm inside. It is horrible. I, personally, am about to make the switch to Verizon, I think.
I have T-Mobile. I'm really happy with them.

They have good customer service and good plans. You can pay $5/month and talk to anybody that has T-Mobile for free.

I just think they could do better when it comes to actual phones.

The phone I have right now is the Samsung e335. I'm getting alot of dropped/failed calls, and network busy signals.

Plus, I haven't had a new phone for at least 2 years.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTUL
I think ALL cell services' "customer service" sucks. Currently I have Cingular and they are doing a pretty decent job (even though I did get billed for roadside assistance - which I never ordered. But they straightened that out) Also Cingulars' GSM (since combining w/ATT) is excellant. Verizon has great national coverage but their customer service is like dealing with the 3 stooges

Old 07-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
BMWLotAttendant

Click here to set it up.
Soooo,

I'm considering the following phones:

1) Samsung t509
2) Motorola PEBL (Black)

Or any other better options.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Yo mofo... haha, your jacking my thread!

It's cool, no worries.

Here's the thing... having Cingular isn't so bad. Most of my dropped calls and such were from my shitty phone, at least from what I can gather. Cingular uses only two of the avaible four frequencies out there. So, if my shitty phone was only a triband, and didn't include the lower 850Mhz, which I don't think it did, then that could explain for the crappy reception that I've been having. Hence why I want a Quad band phone. So far, the only ones that I know of that have it are the V3i (and orignial) and several PDA phones. Other's are mainly a tri or dual band.

So, for MY LIST of phones (haha, not to steel your thunder BMWLotAttendant):
Motorola V3i with goodies (car charger, ear phone, memory card, ect) ~$200+shipping
HP's iPaq hw6515a... I know.. extream, but I was considering getting a PDA too... ~$400-$600
Sony Ericsson Z710i .....no idea how much, not released yet.

That's about it for now

Dough

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D

Last edited by doughboyea; 07-01-2006 at 07:10 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #15
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
Rule number one.... STAY AWAY FROM MOTOROLA

Look into Nokia, Samsung, and LG....

I have had quite a few cell phones in my past.

A few Nokias, one Samsung, two Motorolas (currently have a SLVR (POS)), an LG, and I believe something else, but I do not remember.

Motorola: less reception than any phone I have owned (friends on other services say the same in certain areas)(I live next to a hill cutting reception down a lot, making me see the difference between phones). With both Motorolas, I have had nearly zero reception in my house. I have to put my phone in certain places in my house to get a single bar. Other phones could be any where. The Motorola interface sucks, and they tend to lag.

Nokia: very basic (though that might be changing with their newest phones, not sure), VERY durable, and the best reception with my experience.

My Samsung and LG were pretty good in my opinion, wouldn't mind having another from either brand.

My opinion, Motorola sucks... they make flashy phones, but the quality is low. (the L6 (same thing as the SLVR, but without iTunes) gives off the most radiation of all phones in the US....)

Last edited by brien4787; 07-02-2006 at 02:05 AM..