Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > Car Audio and Electronics
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Car Audio and Electronics
Skyler O'brien Now On ITunes
Sponsored by: SKOB on itunes
Discuss sub and speaker setups, GPS navigation, XM radio, and anything else related to car audio and electronics.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
kalmoth

Name: kalmoth
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 325i
The "don't know" wire in the second image from the top is most likely the dash light dimmer. Some stereos have an option of connecting to it, so the intensity of their illumination can be varied.

The head unit shown in the picture clashes horribly with the dignified austerity of the classic E30 cockpit. Does anyone know of any modern aftermarket units that do not cater to the bling-bling crowd? Specifically, something with a SD card connector and a USB port? I went both to a local audio store and to crutchfield.com - those horrible blue lights... They're everywhere...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
^^^ i know what you mean about it not matching. the head unit pictured was bought by my wife when i was deployed. i have since replaced it with a alpine unit, but it only looks moderately better. the only way to make it look decent would be to find an all black hu, which is next to impossible IMHO.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
elsabor67

Name: elsabor67
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 35 / 340
Your Ride: 1989 325i (U.S. Specs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmoth
Does anyone know of any modern aftermarket units that do not cater to the bling-bling crowd? Specifically, something with a SD card connector and a USB port? I went both to a local audio store and to crutchfield.com - those horrible blue lights... They're everywhere...

Would you like fries with that too? J.K.

On a serious note, on the horrible blue lights, alot of companies are implementing that now so head units displays are more readable in the daylight. They are also more flashy looking than before to try and get the upper hand on their competition. You might have a hard time trying to find a company that "won't cater" to that kind of crowd. Now one with an SD Card slot I have not seen, but do know that Kenwood and JVC have come out with head units that have usb ports on them to where you can connect a memory stick or external drive to them.

How do I spell relief??
AUTOBAHNNNNNNNNN
"GO FASTER !!"
Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
RSF5

Name: RSF5
Title: Leave that out of this.
Rate My Car: 278 / 340
Your Ride: NOOTHHHIIIINNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg
^^^ i know what you mean about it not matching. the head unit pictured was bought by my wife when i was deployed. i have since replaced it with a alpine unit, but it only looks moderately better. the only way to make it look decent would be to find an all black hu, which is next to impossible IMHO.
True dat. If only a company made good quality head units that where not very flashy and could be customized to blend with your dash.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
denyo77

Name: denyo77
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 198 / 340
Your Ride: 1988 325i Touring
hey celsdogg, nice features on your bimmer, looks like she's fully loaded, huh? I've noticed big OBC, power windows, A/C....
nice
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
celsdogg

Name: celsdogg
Title: never gonna happen
Rate My Car: 131 / 340
Your Ride: BMW E30, Subaru BE, Cannondale M400
yeah, its decent, but i think those things were standard here in the states. i dont really have an OBC, its just date and time. my first e30 had a power roof, this one is a crank, but i dont mind