Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > Car Audio and Electronics
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Car Audio and Electronics
Skyler O'brien Now On ITunes
Sponsored by: SKOB on itunes
Discuss sub and speaker setups, GPS navigation, XM radio, and anything else related to car audio and electronics.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Alpine328i

Name: Alpine328i
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Alpine White 1996 328i
Rear 6X9 Speaker conversion

Well, I dont know about the rest of you, my fellow E-36'ers, but my speakers are awful. Does anyone know of any way to do a 6X9 or a 5X7 conversion in the rear? I assume I'd need some sort of adapter bracket or something? If yes, I'd be happy to take some pics and pu together a DIY for it.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

peace..

"In the road of life there are Bimmers and there are Bimmers"

Mods: Full JDM lighting, APC bulbs, ///M rims, Four wheel Brembo rotors, Bilstein Touring suspension.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
I know rooz did the 6 X 9 conversion
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
yeah, there are numerous companies out there that sell a conversion kit. ill try to look it up for you.

moving to car audio/electronics.

edit: here is the link

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine

Last edited by Spieluhr; 05-30-2006 at 11:55 PM..
Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=445

Well worth the price

let me know when you buy them I'll tell you how to wire them

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
Alpine328i

Name: Alpine328i
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Alpine White 1996 328i
Wow, thats AWESOME! I'll be messaging you Rooz.

Nice whip by the way!

"In the road of life there are Bimmers and there are Bimmers"

Mods: Full JDM lighting, APC bulbs, ///M rims, Four wheel Brembo rotors, Bilstein Touring suspension.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
CAPiTUL

Name: CAPiTUL
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 98 328i
Fry? Fry? Fry?

hehe. sorry, couldn't resist.
When I was a kid, we had the Atari 2600 with games like Space Invaders and Asteroids! There were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! .... Just like LIFE!

http://www.aftermarketcity.net/forum/
The BEST online directory for your car needs!

ユナイテドビーマーはいいですよ!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i
Wow, thats AWESOME! I'll be messaging you Rooz.

Nice whip by the way!
Thanks, yeah man, PM me whenever those come in

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Yatti

Name: Yatti
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 540I Sedan (M-Sport)
Thanks for the link guys.. now to get the pops to chuck 1000$ in 2 get some bass in the 540... Link is here..

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...I=478/_cid=196

any1 know if Dinan540 worked on his soundsystem yet?

My Himachi Server Is=
Old 07-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
billycuth

Name: billycuth
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 Acura TL
i ended up doing the 6x9 conversion by accident. I was on crutchfield looking for speakers, and it says 4" for the rear deck. I bought some, and they looked too small (I didnt see the tweeter until later).. So I took the 4" back and bought 6X9's. After I noticed the 6x9 4 ways I bought would not fit, I took the backing off the cover and found the tweeter. I took the tweeter out, and tried fitting the 6x9 back in... With a couple of mods to the housing, the 6x9's fit, so I didnt have to buy the adapter kit that I saw referenced here.

But I need to know how to wire these puppies up. I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7800MP so I am waitiong for that as well. I'll be a few days without a radio anyway, so if someone could help me with the wiring, I would greatly appreciate it. Please tell me I dont need to re-wire the car with an aftermarket amp. I am running out of cash, and I fear the bimmer is gonna need some repairs at the next inspection (this month).

Also - does anyone use that pre-amp filter from crutchfield when installing an aftermarket HU or is that thing worthless?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth
i ended up doing the 6x9 conversion by accident. I was on crutchfield looking for speakers, and it says 4" for the rear deck. I bought some, and they looked too small (I didnt see the tweeter until later).. So I took the 4" back and bought 6X9's. After I noticed the 6x9 4 ways I bought would not fit, I took the backing off the cover and found the tweeter. I took the tweeter out, and tried fitting the 6x9 back in... With a couple of mods to the housing, the 6x9's fit, so I didnt have to buy the adapter kit that I saw referenced here.

But I need to know how to wire these puppies up. I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7800MP so I am waitiong for that as well. I'll be a few days without a radio anyway, so if someone could help me with the wiring, I would greatly appreciate it. Please tell me I dont need to re-wire the car with an aftermarket amp. I am running out of cash, and I fear the bimmer is gonna need some repairs at the next inspection (this month).

Also - does anyone use that pre-amp filter from crutchfield when installing an aftermarket HU or is that thing worthless?
You don't HAVE to rewire the car, it wouldn't hurt at all to by-pass the factory amp and replace all the speakers, but it's not a must. Just buy a regular aftermarket harness and connect up the wires to your pioneer harness (the colors will match .

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 07-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
Rooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatti
Thanks for the link guys.. now to get the pops to chuck 1000$ in 2 get some bass in the 540... Link is here..

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...I=478/_cid=196

any1 know if Dinan540 worked on his soundsystem yet?
Humm... not sure if you'll be please with that. 5ers and 7ers need a good boit of bass to make it carry all the way to the driver because the trunks are such vaults. That downfire-ing design with that tiny amp just don't seem very "powerfull" in your car to me

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
billycuth

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz
You don't HAVE to rewire the car, it wouldn't hurt at all to by-pass the factory amp and replace all the speakers, but it's not a must. Just buy a regular aftermarket harness and connect up the wires to your pioneer harness (the colors will match .
I pretty much do if I want to get the use out of 4-way 6x9s in the back and 3-way 5 1/4s in the front. I wonder - can I keep the factory amp hooked up to supply the front doors still?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #13
Rooz

yes sir

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

Quote:
Old 07-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #14
billycuth

Click here to set it up.
Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram of the harmon kardon system pre-amp, so I can just tap into the rear speakers in the trunk rather than running wires all the way to the front of the car from the back?

I need to know the colors of the rear speakers coming from the head unit if anyone can help me. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth
Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram of the harmon kardon system pre-amp, so I can just tap into the rear speakers in the trunk rather than running wires all the way to the front of the car from the back?

I need to know the colors of the rear speakers coming from the head unit if anyone can help me. Thanks!
http://home.att.net/~ebaines/e36_leads.htm