Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
singring

Name: singring
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
How Do You Release Timing Chain Tensioner ??

I have a 1995 318i and I my replacement timing chain tensioner (original M42 type with spring) has arrived. I have read the Bentley manual, and I understand about compressing the tensioner prior to installation...however, the Bentley manual refers to a complete timing chain overhaul, which involves the removal of the timing chain cover...after the tensioner has been installed, Bentley says on page
117-5 #11 "On M42 engines: Release early-style chain tensioner by pressing chain guide against tensioner until it unlocks and expands out."

Well, I am just replacing the chain tensioner, without removing the timing chain cover, etc.....so, my question is:
1. How do I go about releasing the chain tensioner once it is installed?

2. How will I know if the tensioner has, in fact, released itself and expanded?

If the tensioner is not expanded against the chain guide, engine damage will occur, but how can I accomplish releasing the chain tensioner if I can't access the chain guide because the timing chain cover has not been removed?
Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
**Bump**

I really hate to see a good question like this unanswered. I've seen your posts on other forums too, unanswered. Surely someone must have insight to this. I read the Bentley as well, and it doesn't seem too clear . . looks like you may have to remove the cover
Old 05-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
singring

Name: singring
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
I have recieved some good answers from other forums....once installed, start engine. You will hear the chain rattle somewhat, but this will cause the chain guide to push against the tensioner, thereby releasing it.
Thanks for the support, Dudesky !!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
NO!

if you start the engine without getting the timing chain tensioner to re-engage, there will be no pressure on the chain and the cams will get all f'ed up and you're going to end having a valve hit a piston head and then you're gonna be shit up a creek without a paddle unless you know how to replace a piston and most likely piston arm including journals by yourself.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.