Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 05-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
those who have worked in an engineering field...

I just finished up my first year of college.... I have been planning on getting into mechanical engineering and getting a minor in math.
I have been second guessing on what I want to do... I keep having thoughts of getting into civil engineering.

Has anyone actually worked in one of these two feild? I know most of us are in college, so I will cross my fingers.

I just don't know exactly what the job field will be like (in job).
Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
kestrel325is

Name: kestrel325is
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325is 5-speed
Haven't worked in either, but I guess it depends on where you plan on moving after graduation. I would think that a CE major would get you hired faster than MechE, but I think the MechE would pay more... just my .02
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Go ME man. The only true engineering categories (I know I will get flamed for this) are Electrical and Mechanical. Think about it: in any engineerign discipline, you end up modeling stuff using circuits or basic mechanical systems (springs, dashpots, tubes, etc.)

No disrespect to anyone, but I will never understand how people willingly go into civil or industrial engineering -- but I digress.

I recommend that you stick with mechanical engineering because if you later decide you still want to do civil, you have a better chance of getting hired based only on your BSME, and you will not have to do much adjusting. Try getting a job designing internal combustion engines with a BS in Civil Eng. as your best chip -- I don't see it happening so easily.

I was doubling as ME & EE my first year in college. Then I became fascinated with digital media, so I decide to double in EE and DM.

I am working as an EE at the moment, in the controls industry. I can tell you that you will have much more fun options as an ME than a Civil engineer.

You should be able to get a job as an ME pretty easily. As a Civil Eng., you will neeed there to be some sort of economic/infrastructtural growth, whereas mechanical engineers will always be necessary.

Good luck.

Also, I would give myself another year to set the decision in stone. Take the intro courses for both, and talk to upperclasssmen and ask lots of questions and inquire about their senior projects, etc. Also, you will have a better idea of how you feel about things by the end of your second year.