Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
bakaroo

Name: bakaroo
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 186 / 340
Your Ride: 1996 328is
clears off of ebay

Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
The fronts should be okay, but beware of the tails. A lot of them leak, and many of them throw an OBC message; the circuitry is crap. Also on some of the cheaper ones, you can see the red lens bleeding through the bottom edge of the clear area. If you're gonna get clear tails on eBay, at least look for Depo clears. Rooz knows more about this . .
Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
///MDreain

Name: ///MDreain
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 97 328i
the ones you have look ok. I bought some for my coupe that looked exactly like that and they didnt throw codes. However the tab on the front ones broke after a while, which made a little gap between the clear corner and the fender. You should be ok with those, let us know how it works out
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
bakaroo

Quote:
A lot of them leak, and many of them throw an OBC message; the circuitry is crap.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worried about.

I'm 90% sure that I'm going to go ahead and buy the fronts and sides but I'm still not sure about the tails. I wish that I could buy from an owner who is selling his rather than a random ebay store. They make me nervous.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
The corners frankly, don't mater, just one thing I would recommend "smoked" corners just so that the "white" doesn't stand out as much.

As far as tails go, I bought similar ones and I had to modify them because even though the picture showed nothing mine came with the stupid orange bulb housing. Cheap aftermarket tails won't be a "perfect" fit either. And the housing of it I had to modify a lot to get all the bulbs to go in nice and smooth. If I had to do it over, I would have bought some depo tails or some OE ones... just my 2 cents

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
bakaroo

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just go with "brand name" clear tails and then just order the front corners off of ebay--which is still essentially saving me money.

Quote:
I would recommend "smoked" corners just so that the "white" doesn't stand out as much.
What white part? The white of my car? I like the look of the smoked corners but I don't like the too dark look, either. So I think that I'll just buy the non smoked clear corners and then either smoke them myself or leave them be.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:53 AM   #7
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
I was thinking of getting the same for my Camry through the same company.

I wonder if it's the same.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaroo
What white part? The white of my car? I like the look of the smoked corners but I don't like the too dark look, either. So I think that I'll just buy the non smoked clear corners and then either smoke them myself or leave them be.
The smoked aren't that dark at all, in fact they look pretty clear. What Rooz means is that the lens on clears looks a wee bit bright & irradescent, almost white, and stand out a lot. Smoked is a little more subdued, here's a pic of my smoked corners:

Uck- gotta get rid of that egg yolk, I didn't spray the bulb enough
Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
ChrisWorrell

Name: ChrisWorrell
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 330i
You drive a BMW, stay away from ebay, go through well known companies, do it right. I have seen what becomes of a car when it gets stuff from ebay. I won't name names, but please do yourself and your car a favor and avoid ebay. You will end up paying more but in the end you will be much happier.

Don't shop to save money you will end up paying more because they will break sooner or something about them won't be up to par.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
El Supremo

Name: El Supremo
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 52 / 340
I bought the clears for my sons car off of eBay from bimmerbum, but he sells OEM so there isn't any problems with them.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
scrichy84

Name: scrichy84
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i (Sold), 2004 Tacoma (Sold), 2006 Jetta TDI, 2007 Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky
The fronts should be okay, but beware of the tails. A lot of them leak, and many of them throw an OBC message; the circuitry is crap. Also on some of the cheaper ones, you can see the red lens bleeding through the bottom edge of the clear area. If you're gonna get clear tails on eBay, at least look for Depo clears. Rooz knows more about this . .
I bought clears and sidemarker lights off ebay and both were okay, but Duds right, tailights you want to buy through a company that you can send them back if they suck.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
kestrel325is

Name: kestrel325is
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325is 5-speed
The clears on mine are factory.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
Negrodamus

Name: Negrodamus
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 87 / 340
Your Ride: 92 325is
Got my front clear smoked oem ones off of ebay they are fine just had to break the little small tab that goes into the fender. I also got my rear smoked tails off of ebay as well. And yes the circuitry on it could be better if you live somewhere and it rains alot then I probably would avoid the ebay tails however if you are in an area that doesnt rain too much then grab them. Not all ebay stuff on there for BMW stuff is bad....
Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
I bought some clear corners off of e-bay like a year ago. I got them from "Revo-Tech" which are probably the same as these. They are cheap quality, but work just fine... just be careful with them when installing. I recommend not getting clear (white) ones... I got them and look bad, so I smoked them using a tinting spray.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
bakaroo

Okay so to summarize:

1. Front smoked corners from ebay are decent; just be careful

and

2. Go with brand name tails.

Bleh, anyone want to sell their clears to me? ?