Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
umnitza

Name: umnitza
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 94 / 340
Official Comparison - Predator Chromium VS DDE Raptor CWP Edition

First and foremost, we are happy to report to those of you that have the Predator Chromium product, you should be very pleased with these results.

Without further ado...

Predator Chromium came out in January 05. DDE Raptor came out in February 06, but not really til March 06, but not really til...well, you get the point.

PICTURE 1: Clearly shows how much sharper, brighter, and more brilliant the Chromium ring itself is compared to the bare Raptor ring.

PICTURE 2: Clearly shows how much sharper, brighter, and more brilliant the Chromium ring itself is compared to the bare Raptor ring from another angle.

PICTURE 3: The Raptor ring is dull, almost lifeless, while the Chromium ring sparkles as more light hits it.

PICTURE 4: Now we start getting into the meat of the comparison. The backing plate on the Chromiums is actually chrome dipped for a mirror like surface. The Raptor, is just silver paint. The Chromium ring is flat to reflect as much as possible, the Raptor ring is channeled, you'll see the "genius" behind this technology later.

PICTURE 5: Note the sharpness of the grooves, the lack of residue, and the overall complete finish of the Chromium ring on the right.

PICTURE 6: The two rings side by side, the Chromium on the right. Note the sloppy additional wiring required to make the system "work" in the cold weather climates. Also note that multi colors of wires are required to make it work, so that when you actually do put it into your headlights, all you see is a tangle of wires, not like BMW wiring.

PICTURE 7: Garage engineering leads to garage quality. Note the cheap aluminum tin foil look of the backing of the Raptor ring. Note the milky residue at the corners. But wait...See picture 8.

PICTURE 8: Garage engineering leads to garage quality. Note the cheap aluminum tin foil look of the backing of the Raptor ring. Note the milky residue at the corners. Note the additional wiring, the messy milky residue.

PICTURE 8: Who wants 2 of these bulky things in their engine bay with octopus wiring coming out?

PICTURE 9: The now famous COLD WEATHER PACKAGE is nothing more than a single core wire with insulation that is 10X the diameter of this wire. This wire supposedly "heats" up and makes the rings warmer, except, IT DOESN'T WORK. In order for that wire to generate enough heat quickly enough to make it work it would require being 10X thicker and if it was, it would set the whole ring on fire.

Finally:

PICTURE 10: This is what you are asked to install and figure out. Please note, this is only 1 HALF of the whole kit. Think about doing the other side? Anyone got a whole day to devote to doing a simple modification? Want to do something easier like an engine swap instead?

Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Wow, looks pretty good

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
LWRNCE

Name: LWRNCE
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 4 / 340
Your Ride: E36
Simply amazing...

Old 04-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
any on car pictures?

Old 04-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storamin
any on car pictures?
Of?

Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
who makes raptors? I thought umnitza was making raptors? I guess I heard wrong lol

Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
On car pictures of both. I think it would show the contrast very much if you had the chromium on the left side of the headlight and the Raptor CWP on the right side of the headlight but both on the same headlight to show how different they are.

It's not the same trying to visualize it on the car.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
umnitza

It doesn't help showing on a car, you can play tricks with camera, lighting, and all sorts of other factors to make one look better than the other.

The bottom line is quality. And by doing a closeup discussion of the quality, you get a better understanding of what one product is and isn't.

Here's a writeup from an actual customer of both.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341112

Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
i guess that's a no.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
umnitza

It's a no because it's impossible to show this level of detail on the car. And because in real life you get to see these defects whereas the camera hides them.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
so basically it looks the same on the car then?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
ah ok, i misunderstood you.

Closed Thread