Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** > Geek Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Geek Chat Ask computer questions or just engage in general geek talk on here

Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Angry Rants on OS X and Installing Gentoo on my Powerbook

I just wrote a nice little article on personal experience (sorry witeshark, haha).

For many years I was surrounded by mac-people (the race) always telling me how great Apple was, and how Microsoft had absolutely nothing on them. At that point, OS X was fairly new, and the only experience I had with macs were the big, old OS9 computers that were only good for two things: going to netscape.com and crashing. Oh, and they played that cool little beeping noise when you hold down that obscure sideways triangle key during bootup. Because of these experiences, I had a personal vendetta against Apple, but every time I tried to rant about them, I always heard OS X fixed all those bugs and everything finally works. Now I wouldn’t normally pay that any attention because every software vendor in history says that about every new release, but one thing made this different. The Appleians told me OS X was based on Darwin… a modified FreeBSD core.

Long story short, I finally broke down and decided to buy a much needed 4th laptop (the other three are just collecting dust)…. a Powerbook (it’s an overly pretty unix… couldn’t be too bad, right?). Rather than getting a cheap old one, I said if I was going to give Apple a try, I’d be fair about it. I pranced into the Apple store and 15 minutes later, walked out with a brand new 12″ Powerbook G4 with an upgraded 1GB of ram and an Airport Extreme card (Apple’s name rebranding for an 802.11g wireless network card). I chose the 12″ size because I’d only be using the Powerbook on the go, thus portability. If I’m at home, I’ll use my desktop.

I used OS X for a while and decided it is in fact fantastic. If all you want to do is word processing and browsing websites. I don’t really play games, so even if it could do that (I’ve heard mixed things), it wouldn’t help me. I tried programming Carbon (Apple’s “pretty” APIs), which turned out to be complete rubbish. It’s like they took Visual Basic, and tried to make it even more user friendly… in doing so completely destroying all development ability (and breaking all programming syntax standards), however I will admit it does have very good OOP support. I with a bit of installing and patching, I got the latest versions of Perl and gcc installed, however I quickly realized programming on that keyboard is truly a form of torture. The control key is rarely used in OS X (unless you’re…. wait, another rant:

Rant: Right-clicking. Apples are developed on the foundation of being very easy to use. Superb. Their mouse is even so easy to use, it only needs one button! Wrong. Modern GUIs these days are so overcomplicated they require multiple click functionality to actually get anything done. Unless you want to memorize a plethora of obscure key codes (usually involving a hybrid symbol between a pound sign and a daisy), you need a right click. Now Apple realized this and instead of adding another mouse button like a sensible operating system, they require you to hold down control (a key from one input source) and click the single mouse button (on the other input source). WHY? If the right-click functionality was important enough to include in the operating system at all, why make it so needlessly complicated? Your answer? Because their stubborn. Since the main focus of their OS X operating system is ease of use, they’d never admit they developed the system overeasy and in doing so lost some fundamental usability. Oh, and let me tell you about ease of use… to force quit an application in Windows it’s quite simple, the three finger solute involving your fingers falling in aesthetically pleasing positions. In Apple, not so much. After looking it up online to figure out how the hell I’m supposed to kill my Safari that went haywire, it still took me a good few minutes to figure out HOW to push the correct keys. The sequence sounded simple enough, with something like ctrl-alt-esc, the alt key wasn’t doing anything. OS X rarely uses the alt key, so they decided to override the functionality with an option key, which is also rarely used. I, on a laptop, had to hold down the Fn key with one finger, then tapping the option/alt hybrid key, and cross my fingers back over to hit the ctrl key, and use my 2nd hand to hit escape. Then the whole system locked up. I wanted to throw it out a Window, however the shear monetary investment in this hunk of metal made me restrain myself. Also on this rant of input controls I’d like to bring up Apple’s brilliant “easy-to-use” plethora of OS key binds. They break every standard and for reasons incomprehensible to me, decided to choose the most obscure, yet applicable combinations. For example you open a folder and are looking at some files, right? You select a file, and how would you expect to open it using the keyboard (I’m much more key-focused than mouse focused)? The normal and obvious answer would be the Enter/Return key (yes they are different, another crazy hybrid key requiring the Fn key to toggle it… however there is ALSO a completely separate key for “Enter” alone, by itself, down beside the arrow keys… why I will never understand). Wrong. Enter is the key you press to rename the file. You have to hold down the apple key and tap O to actually open the file. I could understand a two-key combination for renaming a file since it’s less used, however I think the programmer who set this up got it backwards. The Enter key renames the file? Wow.

Now that that rant is over, back to my programming rant. Now, the control key is rarely used in OS X, so it’s not in a very comfortable spot on the 12” Powerbook’s keyboard. The function key is the perfect distance from the C key, which causes me to often find myself hitting function-c to halt a script and wonder why it’s still going. I understand they were cramped for space on the keyboard with the 12”, but there are about 5 keys on here I think I could easily pop off and never miss, so the keyboard design is absolutely horrible. I have keys I never use, and the keys I do need require finger-yoga to get to. I quickly discovered the Powerbook is probably the worst choice I could have made for a programming laptop.

Fine, no perl or gcc. I gave up on all mobile development and used it for what it could do… internet and word processing. And actually the funny part is it struggles at that. The wireless reception range on of the Airport Extreme is horrible, and the only decent word processor that works on it is Microsoft Word… quite ironic. So there I had a very expensive laptop that could do less than my 500MHz Compaq Armada M300 (great little laptop).
I can’t really sell it because of some scratches on the case and some dead pixels, I’d get very little for it, so I began looking into other alternative uses for it. While a frisbee would be fun, I decided instead to look into a true *nix solution. FreeBSD recently finished their PPC port (I remember a few years back it wasn’t bootable), however I’m still not sure I’d trust the stability and driver availability since it is a fairly new platform for it. I eventually narrowed it down to YellowDog (a PPC oriented linux) and Gentoo 2006. I’ve always wanted to play with Gentoo and learn it a bit more, because of it’s closeness to FreeBSD, so I chose that direction.

The installation process for Gentoo was as painful as expected, like always, but finished compiling a Stage 1 system in a little over 11 hours. It’s been compiling X, Sawfish (a real man’s window manager), and some other visual goodies for the entire day so far, and is still not done. It might take me some tweaking to get the keymaps and mouse setup the way I like it (and is useable), however with Gentoo and X11 I’ll have that freedom. I still haven’t gotten Airport working on it, but I found a few sites talking about how it can be done, but takes some tweaking.
With the 4.5 pound ultra-portable body, and finally a decent operating system, I might actually have a useable laptop after all these months. With black and white text scrolling by for well over 24 hours now, it’ll be nice to finally get a familiar looking window manager up and running on it. Another day I’m going to mess with the power management, suspend mode on screen close, and other goodies like that… but for now I just want it working.

So far it’s looking like good game OS X.

Trackback: http://www.harrymaugans.com/2006/04/...too-powerbook/

Old 04-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
harry, you have my undivided attention. If you could, please explain in as simple terms as possible what gentoo is built for, how hard it is to use, and how hard it is to set up on a 12" g4. imagine you're talking to your mother about it.

I love my mac, but at the same time, i feel limited and would love to experiment with a new OS

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Rob

Name: Rob
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 88 / 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdoesntknow
harry, you have my undivided attention. If you could, please explain in as simple terms as possible what gentoo is built for, how hard it is to use, and how hard it is to set up on a 12" g4. imagine you're talking to your mother about it.

I love my mac, but at the same time, i feel limited and would love to experiment with a new OS
It sounds like you want to play with Yellowdog Linux, instead of Gentoo. Gentoo, itself, requires installing everything from the shell, which is the opposite of user friendly. Your best bet is Yellowdog. I tried installing Gentoo on Harry's notebook just for kicks, but stopped maybe 1/15th of the way, mainly because I got bored, mainly because Harry configures his system in his own way, and mostly because I am lazy and didn't want to plug in a network cable. It's not like I didn't know what I was doing. I remember installing Slackware from floppies back in the day, which was a lot more time consuming and more difficult than any OS I have installed. I think I pushed Harry into changing to Gentoo on his G4 lappy as much as he pushed me into going FreeBSD on my desktop machine, and maybe even on my MythTV box.

Harry, you are crazy with your ghetto "Sawfish" WM. I think I am going to try XFce, which is the slim version of Gnome, so that should be fun. I doubt Sawfish would be a good choice on the TabletPC either now, huh. For someone crying about a secondary mouse button, I bet you will barely use it to access menus in Gentoo anyway. For people on here who don't know what Sawfish is like, think of an empty screen with a stats applet, and then opening programs up with keystrokes, and no menus at all. That is how hardcore Harry is. Hmmm. Hardcore Harry. It works.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Very important for me to begin by saying 'to each his own', because this is my experience with one or two things mentioned . . I actually use the control and option keys a lot; I guess it's the app's that I often work with that requires them. And when I started learning Windows, I found it very awkward to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to force quit an app, having been so used to Macs

OT: I actually hung out with one of the kids who helped develop Gentoo . . I never really got around to playing with it extensively, and he hated me for that
Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Well I had Windows (ME - I quit after that let me down) and Linux (on my ME HP box) I tried OS X (not based on OS 9 at all but FreeBSD) and never looked back. Running OS X 10.4.6 now and I'm very happy!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Dudesky

I'm gonna get hell for saying this, but I actually loved OS 9
But then again, most of the crashing on that OS was attributed to extension conflicts, which I was a whiz at. I had to adjust to OS X because albeit more stable, it's actually slower than 9. Slow and steady wins the race I guess
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Harry you know you could just get a usb 2 button mouse and have had the 2 button functionality.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is
Harry you know you could just get a usb 2 button mouse and have had the 2 button functionality.
Sounds nice, but I'm laying on my bed using the laptop (gentoo with firefox) right now. A USB mouse wouldn't really work.

I finished the Sawfish Window Manager compile, and I'm now using X finally....

To give you an idea of Sawfish, you turn on the computer, login, and are staring at a black screen with a mouse pointer. From there, it's all up to you.

I've already emerged xloadimage (3rd party program, not part of sawfish) and setup a nice wallpaper. xscreensaver is compiling right now, and gAIM just finished. I'm waiting on the 50+ MB download of IBM java so I can install Open Office.

However I hit one snag so far. I was hoping to get Wine working, so I could use Photoshop (gimp sucks), and the compile dies saying my PPC processor isn't supported by wine yet.

Anyway, I'm still tweaking away.

Chris, if you've never used linux in depth before, Rob's right, yellowdog would be a lot less frustrating (remember I've been working on setting up gentoo for days now, and still not done).

Witeshark, you're right, Windows ME shouldn't count as an OS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I like Windows either, but I do have a very high respect for Windows and unfortunately it's required for my work.

Dsky, extension conflicts or not, I still saw that little bomb error message more that I'd have liked.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Dudesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
Dsky, extension conflicts or not, I still saw that little bomb error message more that I'd have liked.
Ha ha . . the first time I ever saw that, I think I shit my pants
Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky
Ha ha . . the first time I ever saw that, I think I shit my pants
haha!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #11
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
Click here to set it up.
Harry,

Are you a CS major? How long have you been messing around with programming?

540i with some mods
Old 04-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
I enjoyed your entry, Harry. I find it funny how all the different quirks of OS X bothered you. I have been mainly a PC person, but I never really minded the Macs. Command+O doesn't make sense to you? It's 'O' for 'Open'. Oh -- and it is called control-clicking on a Mac; not right-clicking. I had to learn thse things, but never really minded.

The one keyboard shortcut you have to admit is superior to WIndows': command+Q to Quit an application. BEats the hell out of Alt+F4.

We like teh Macs to work graphics. Things like video editing pretty much belong on a Mac and nowhere else (although PCs are almost caught up).
Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan540
Harry,

Are you a CS major? How long have you been messing around with programming?
Harry is even smarter than that. He realized pretty early on that one can figure out all the programming things on one's own time. I think he is complementing that with a degree in a business-related area.

I remember I once told my adviser I was thinking of switching to CS. He told me, "You can always learn computer science later. Learning engineergin later will be much much harder."

Dr. Norwood ftw!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
komodo

Yeah, I'm a Business Management major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
The one keyboard shortcut you have to admit is superior to WIndows': command+Q to Quit an application. BEats the hell out of Alt+F4.
You mean you've never tried to hit command-tab in a hurry to change programs, and ended up quitting instead? (even if you have 100 tabs open, Safari quits instantly when that's pressed) haha

Update: I finally got Java installed, so now I'm going through and installing all my multimedia applications like xmms (blows winamp away, best music program on any operating system), and xine (best video player on any operating system).

I need to adjust my mouse though, it moves too fast and is kind of annoying, lol.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
dinan.... harry created penguinstudios.com as i think a freshman in high school. but his achille's heal can be summed up in two words "Ms. Bostick" lol. what a bitch.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.