Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Site Topics > Site Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Site Feedback Post your questions, comments, or suggestions here.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #31
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
A few further prerequisites, sorry I'm being so picky, but I'm expecting this wallpaper site to do quite well.

- I'd like a .com name... plain and simple.

- No dashes, that makes it more complicated to remember

- Something that flows when spoken, like MySpace. Nothing like "car-wallpapers.net"

- Something that cannot be confused for a plural tense... nothing that a plural version of one of the words would still make sense (grey area here). For example, the existing site is car-wallpapers.net, however there is another, completely different wallpaper site at www.car-wallpaper.net. I'm trying to think up a name like desktag.com or something, where there isn't much confusion.

- I'm trying to think up a brandable name. Something like diselstation (another car wallpaper site), which is catchy, but applies. A name like car-wallpapers.net is simply not brandable. It should be clean and simple, but catchy and apply directly to wallpapers in general (not specific to any one category).

- Nothing too long. The longer the name is, the harder it is to remember, and type in. No more than two words. thebestwallpapersiteontheinternet.com may be catchy, but isn't practical.

Again, this sounds picky, but actually isn't so bad. I'm thinking of writing up an article for publication on how to choose a good domain name.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #32
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
you know, we can have multiple names, and just buy multiple domains and forward them to car-wallpapers.net or w/e, however that would cost a lot more...
That splits up the branding, however. I'd like one unified site.

There's no one one, clear, dominate wallpaper site online. Most other industries have a site or two that stand out as a place you can go to find something. For instance, if you want a car, you go to autotrader. If you want to bid in auctions, you go to ebay. If you want to watch funny movies, you go to youtube or google videos. If you want to download a trial, you go to downloads.com. If you want to download wallpapers, where do you go? A few specific-industry leading sites, but no one wallpaper site standing out among the tens of thousands. And beyond that, car-wallpapers.net is UNIQUE. I honestly believe it is the most high-tech wallpaper site on the internet. I don't know of any other site that offers tagging with wallpapers, which works great. No other site offers dynamic navigation, based on which wallpapers are most popular in that make. We offer APIs to integrate similar wallpapers into other websites (like the sidebar of United Bimmer). We're one of the few that allow automated member submissions, and the only one that has a community voting system for if a wallpaper is deleted or added to the gallery. This site has the potential of taking over as the dominate free wallpaper site online.

Edit: And I just noticed car-wallpapers.net passed the 20,000 downloads mark a few minutes ago.

Last edited by komodo; 05-28-2006 at 12:31 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #33
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
A few further prerequisites, sorry I'm being so picky, but I'm expecting this wallpaper site to do quite well.

- I'd like a .com name... plain and simple.

- No dashes, that makes it more complicated to remember

- Something that flows when spoken, like MySpace. Nothing like "car-wallpapers.net"

- Something that cannot be confused for a plural tense... nothing that a plural version of one of the words would still make sense (grey area here). For example, the existing site is car-wallpapers.net, however there is another, completely different wallpaper site at www.car-wallpaper.net. I'm trying to think up a name like desktag.com or something, where there isn't much confusion.

- I'm trying to think up a brandable name. Something like diselstation (another car wallpaper site), which is catchy, but applies. A name like car-wallpapers.net is simply not brandable. It should be clean and simple, but catchy and apply directly to wallpapers in general (not specific to any one category).

- Nothing too long. The longer the name is, the harder it is to remember, and type in. No more than two words. thebestwallpapersiteontheinternet.com may be catchy, but isn't practical.

Again, this sounds picky, but actually isn't so bad. I'm thinking of writing up an article for publication on how to choose a good domain name.

errm.. ur on ur own buddy! lol, sorry im just not the creative type

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #34
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
That splits up the branding, however. I'd like one unified site.

There's no one one, clear, dominate wallpaper site online. Most other industries have a site or two that stand out as a place you can go to find something. For instance, if you want a car, you go to autotrader. If you want to bid in auctions, you go to ebay. If you want to watch funny movies, you go to youtube or google videos. If you want to download a trial, you go to downloads.com. If you want to download wallpapers, where do you go? A few specific-industry leading sites, but no one wallpaper site standing out among the tens of thousands. And beyond that, car-wallpapers.net is UNIQUE. I honestly believe it is the most high-tech wallpaper site on the internet. I don't know of any other site that offers tagging with wallpapers, which works great. No other site offers dynamic navigation, based on which wallpapers are most popular in that make. We offer APIs to integrate similar wallpapers into other websites (like the sidebar of United Bimmer). We're one of the few that allow automated member submissions, and the only one that has a community voting system for if a wallpaper is deleted or added to the gallery. This site has the potential of taking over as the dominate free wallpaper site online.

Edit: And I just noticed car-wallpapers.net passed the 20,000 downloads mark a few minutes ago.
if you want it to be an industry standard website, the first thing ur gonna have to do is have a TON more wallpapers, like literally, of every car there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 05-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #35
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsperf
if you want it to be an industry standard website, the first thing ur gonna have to do is have a TON more wallpapers, like literally, of every car there is
Of course, but that doesn't happen overnight.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #36
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
wallpaperyowhip.com

(sorry, had to do it).

How about autodesktops.com?

Last edited by Dudesky; 05-28-2006 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky
How about autodesktops.com?
Again, not car-specific. I'd end up making subdomains for each category, such as http://cars.tagpapers.com or what-not.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #38
Rob

Name: Rob
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 88 / 340
petrolstation.com
Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #39
TerryY

Name: TerryY
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 7 / 340
One of the line that has stuck with me from a cheesey movie was a take off on "Toys-R-Us" Movie-Ghetto style "We be Toys and Shit!".

So how about webewallpaper.com ?

Terry

Aloha Oregon
'95 840
'98 SVT Cobra
Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #40
komodo

For those of you who don't religiously read my blog (ha!), here's the article I promised:

http://www.harrymaugans.com/2006/06/...d-domain-name/