Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 04-14-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Exclamation Blink File Goes Live

I have just launched Blink File (www.blinkfile.com). It's overlapping a bit with the United Bimmer File Manager currently, however I have a feeling Blink File will eventually exceed UBFM because of it's ease of use, auto-thumbnailing, multiple-simultaneous file uploading, and no quota limit.

Blink File is designed to be as simple as possible to use. It can host anything from images (any size) to videos to music to programs to pdfs and other documents. There are no limits on the file extention. The cool part is the system can recognize over 400 different file types, and responds appropriately. For example, if it detects you uploading a JPG file, it'll look at the dimensions, and if it's a large file, it'll automatically generate a nice thumbnail complete with the bottom black text bar, showing the size and dimensions of the original file. When you click on the thumbnail (from the source code it generates automatically for forum use), it'll open in and render a larger version of the file on Blink File's servers, which you can click on to instantly see full-size. Erm, that's kind of wordy, but when you try it out, you'll see what I mean. If you upload a video file and try to view it, it'll automatically detect it's a video and generate an embedded video preview control on the website (the little video box built in to the site) based on what type of video it is (the site knows the difference in a quicktime and windows media video, for example). That way anyone can watch the video on the site itself... however if you'd rather download it directly to your harddrive, there's a link for that as well. If you upload a program for example, the view page just has a direct download link with no previews of any kind. It's smart.

Another cool part of Blink File is the ability to email files to someone else. On the homepage, when you use the right-side form, it'll upload a single file and send the recipient a very nice looking HTML email with a link to the download page. If it's an image you're sending them, it'll even include a thumbnail of the full-sized image in the email itself. The verbage of the email is also programmed to be intelligent and dynamic to ensure it never ends up in the spam folder.

Now the downside. Hosting files with an unlimited size, no user quotas, unlimited downloads, etc. can hurt bandwidth and server harddrive space. You guys know me pretty well, and you know I hate advertising on community-focused websites unless I absolutely have to, which is why United Bimmer still doesn't have any advertising (sponsors don't count, I'm talking like google adwords or something) after being around for over a year with total bandwidth bills in the thousands. However, I unfortunately had to add Adbrite ads to Blink File because of it's unusally expensive setup. They're not very bad and only appear on the view-download page... no where else on the site, though I do still allow direct hotlinking for files under 1MB (if you try to hotlink a file over 1MB, it just redirects you to the view page where you can download it). Sorry about that.

Anyway, I think Blink File turned out great and if you guys have any suggestions or find any bugs in it, let me know. Thanks!

Trackback: http://www.harrymaugans.com/2006/04/...ile-goes-live/

Last edited by komodo; 04-14-2006 at 02:13 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
brien4787

Name: brien4787
Title: DelTaco
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: e36
nice
Old 04-14-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
"All your files are belong to blink"

classic
Old 04-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
When you start doing this stuff on a for-profit basis, let me know if you are looking for investment partners.

Once again Harry, kudos to you. Please make sure you still allow yourself time to spend with your family, friends, g/f, etc. You are a dedicated young man, but I would hate to see you consumed in your work (even if it is stuff that you enjoy doing).
Old 04-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Very impressive!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
holy crap another one? im running out of tool bar space here! lol. looks good.. reminds me of imageshack but alot easier
Old 04-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
nice job man. will definately be using this. your computer skills are always impressive.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 04-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
komodo

Thanks guys. Here's an example of Blink File in action:

And I'm not doing any of this for profit. Like I said a year ago, I'm doing all this for you guys, for the community, not money.

Don't worry though, I definately have my for-profit endeavors going on too, I just choose to not spam you guys with commercial stuff. For example I'm still actively developing websites for clients with Penguin Studios (my web development company), as well as other side projects. Here you go, last week I launched this site:

www.rimuto.com

Read over it, very for-profit. But I'm not invading UB with spam advertising it, as the community means more to me than money.

Last edited by komodo; 04-14-2006 at 03:00 PM..
Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
drz

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
... I definately have my for-profit endeavors going on too...
duh,

I had completely forgotten about your entrepreneurial endeavors

btw, I am using blinkfile already
Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Blink file > image shack

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
drz

komodo, are you going to make it so that I can go back and find my files, or maybe browse around and see the stuff other people have uploaded? Right now, unless I get the link to my image right after I upload it, I have no way of finding it at a later time. I don't, right?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
^yeah that would be nice.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
komodo

Hum, good point.

Would you rather have an accout registration and login to keep track of all your images (ie, a list of all the files you've posted, and maybe later the ability to make a gallery of all your images or whatnot?)

Or would you rather keep it simple like this without logins, and maybe send an email to you everytime you upload a picture, with all the information in it (so you can search your inbox if need be)?

Or any other ideas?

Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
So you actually did it nice

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
SHAHAB323IS

Name: SHAHAB323IS
Title: Professional Noob
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 323is
i love you harry