Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Kill Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Kill Stories It is so pleasant to work with experts. Visit this page to find out more regarding uak biletleri.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
My Day at the track, anyone ever destroy a caliper?

So I went to the track yesterday, Gingerman, to be specific. I was having a great time except I was unhappy with the brake pads I was running. The car felt good and I felt Like I was lapping pretty quickly. The 3rd or 4th session I was out was going really well, i was getting ready to come off (early I ran with the group before for a couple of laps), but decided to do one more lap to cool down, turn 5 shit hits the fan, I goto use some brakes and press my foot to the floor and have nothing happen. At which point I coast off into the grass and sit there, a cornerworker comes over and tells me to sit tight for the rest of the session and then drive it off slowly.

I came into the paddox area and get the car parked and take a look and I am definitly leaking brake fluid at my drivers side front wheel. Take the wheel off and look at the caliper and the rubby thing on the piston was just destroyed and I could see the fluid leaking out. Unfortunatly I did not get a picture of it. I had to get the car towed to a dealer cause I was in the middle of no where and so I found a ride out to Grand Rapids to crash at my buds place. Car got to the dealer this morning and they fixed it (new caliper and front pads) and I'm back in Lansing. It was one of the most painless experiences I have ever had with a dealer they were very fast and had parts that I never expected them to have to get this job done quickly for me. The only bad thing was the price I paid, it was a job I could have done for about 1/3 of what they charged me, but when your in a jam your fucked, so I did it and now await a pretty hefty credit card bill.

Will this keep me from going to the track again, I'm guessing not, it might make me wait a little longer until I can pay my bills, But I will be back.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
You're lucky that you had area to coast off. Good think you were able to get it fixed quickly too.

On a side note, when you watch professional driver's foot work when they are coming down fast straights, you almost always see them tap the break pedal a few times before they reach the breaking zone. They do this to 1) check for break pedal pressure 2) pump the breaks up so the pedal catches right at the top so they can drive as deep as possible into the turn. Just something interesting if you haven't noticed before

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"
Old 04-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
Always be ready for the worst at the track. You'd be surprised how many of the guys that go there regularly have paid out the ass when they messed up.

That happens to the calipers sometimes. I remember a UUC BBK the metal caliper part started leaking fluid. Your calipers were probaly due for a rebuild.

As a corner worker, I'm surprised that guy came out to you. You're never supposed to do that...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
nick_318is

I was very surprised when I saw the corner worker running over, they didn't even put up a yellow or anything. He just ran over asked what was up, got on the radio told me to wait till they motioned for me to drive it back in and then ran back over to his station, it was strange.

I think I may look into rebuilding the other calipers in the near future. I'm not too surprised about people having to pay a lot when they messed up, if somethings gonna break its gonna happen at the track. In anycase I still had fun despite my trouble.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
dinan540

Name: dinan540
Title: Upgraded Member
Click here to set it up.
Nick,

Sorry about your troubles, but at least it was resolved quickly and you did it on the track where it would have been safer than on the road.

As for caliper rebuilds, when should we do it. I just bought used e39 M5 front brakes for my 540. Before I install them, should I have them rebuilt?

I cleaned them up yesterday and checked the rubber around the ring and it looked intact and no brake fluid leaking, but since they are sitting in my garage, this potentially could be a good time to rebuild them. So, what should I look for?

540i with some mods
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Wow that was a close one
Old 04-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
how many miles did they have on them, paul? you should probably rebuild them once u get into high, high miles, like maybe 150-200K, especially since you dont track your car(or do you?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
glad it worked out good Any pics/vids of the track?

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
nick_318is

The guy I went with didn't get any good pics of me, I am waiting to see if people post anything good if so I will throw some pics up, and I was unable to get any photos from the official photographers cause I was busy dealing with how to get my car fixed and home
Old 04-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
I would definitely rebuild the calipers before putting them on. It's the easiest time to do it. I know people who rebuild them every 100k.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
depending on your caliper, some are a pain to rebuild, you could always just get remanufactured ones, and save some money by giving them your old ones.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
Calipers aren't that difficult to rebuild... tons of places sell rebuild kits online. Especially with a second set of them so you can still use the car, how much trouble could it cause?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:17 AM   #13
nick_318is

Lessons learned I learned this weekend at the track:

1. perhaps I will bring a caliper rebuild kit with me next time, that way if any problems occur I might miss some track time but I could hopefully make it home still.

2. Allready knew this one, but bring an extra pair of pads with you

3. the front pad wear sensor likes to melt (2nd time in as many track days)

4. its good to keep in touch with people, they can help you out, its also good to meet new people cause many are very willing to help you out.

5. I want an elise or an m3 ASAP

Just thought I would share for any of you guys who are thinking about going to the track, the more you do it the more you learn what can and will break, including your brakes.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
A caliper rebuild would take too much time at the track I think.

Heh, that's what I love about being 19 years old and at the track. All the older people there really love how enthusiastic I am and love talking to me about their experiences. They love that somebody as young as myself is getting into the sport already. It's great because a lot of them use to have these bmws or still race these bmws (especially e36 and e30 m3's).

I learned what I could break by listening to them and then proceeded to upgrade those parts. This is why I don't bother with the engine... it's not the weakest link, it's problay the strongest.

What's wrong with the e30 318iS? It's a wonderful momentum car.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
nick_318is

I have no problem with the 318iS i love it and it is a great momentum car sometimes i just long for a little more power.