Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 04-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #16
donald1476

Name: donald1476
Title: President
Rate My Car: 109 / 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
ARTICLE X: This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!
The United States does not have an official language. Sorry, and some of those other things are a given if not already laws. And no, he should NOT run for president any day.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #17
donald1476

BTW That was written by Lewis Napper, not Mitchell Aye.
And it stopped at X, which was not "This is an English speaking country..." Check your sources.

Last edited by donald1476; 04-03-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Old 04-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #18
jms

Name: jms
Title: ______
Rate My Car: 105 / 340
Your Ride: 99 328I Convertible
While the federal government has not chosen an official language the defacto standard is english and the following states, and territories, have adopted english as the official language: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming

PA H.B. 2089 seeks to add PA to the list, but prior to 1950 it was english and german, post 1950 they dropped the official language to drop german, so by default we use english.

Now personally I don't give a fuck if you want to speak swahili, we use english in our printed materials, our warnings, and our commerce. So unless you want to be poor learn it. Most immigrants I have met are happy to learn english, and they are happy to be here. They work hard for a living and god bless them they respect our laws.

I also know the welfare generation, and the generation which proceeds it. Some of you are too young to remember before some of the laws were passed in the 90's to curtail some of it. Some people sought to ride the government all the way into retirement without ever having worked a day in their miserable little lives. And they raised children who did the same, and got paid more per child. this is not to say that all people on welfare choose this lifestyle. I'll admit that my family was on welfare at one time, and with hard work, a little luck, and a shitload more of that hardwork, I now have a good life. I own 2 houses and a couple of cars 3 kids and a stable job which pays me well.

But for every success story there are several failure stories. And if you've ever watched someone sell their foodstamps to drink, do drugs, or gamble you know what I mean. I know these are all protected "diseases", fine and for every one of these stories there is another who sold them to get their hair done, nails, or waste it on a game system or some other piece of crap. You ever see neglected kids with a big screen tv? I have. Its pathetic, and as long as there are some who will subsidize this behavior there will be those who will take advantage of it. It's bad enough I have to put up with these leeches, I refuse to add illegal immigrants to the mix, or legal ones for that matter. If you can't make it here, and you are not a citizen, get the fuck out. Regardless of the source

The rest of this is me grumbling and ranting about taxes and the like
Old 04-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #19
donald1476

Well the states adopted English as their official language independantly, NOT the US which is what that article claimed. Other states have also adopted French and Spanish as their other official language, so no it is not only English.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #20
jms

the article never claimed "official" language
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
ARTICLE X: This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!
note that the word official was not posted. merely that this is an english speaking country, and yes a couple states have gone bilingual, more power to them. I don't care. EVERY state speaks and publishes in english. I will not concede this point.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #21
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
if you watch Lou Dobbs you might hear him comment on it eventually...
Old 04-04-2006, 02:19 AM   #22
donald1476

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
the article never claimed "official" language

note that the word official was not posted.
It's implied, and I don't mean to pick apart the article (Which that wasn't even included in the original) but "LURN ENGLISH OR GO THE FUCK BACK TO UR CONTREE" is one statement that really pisses me off.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #23
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
this probably wn't be read absed on the posts in front of it, but the biggest problem is that with teh catch and release program, once theya re caught they are transported and released further into the country than just the borders.

and the problem with bill o'reilly's plan is that it would create a flooding of prisons (for immigrants free food and shelter in jail is still better than mexico.)

and who do you throw in jail? the rich guy who owns the company but doesn't do a thing about running it, or the manager that hired him, or the background checking firm that wasn't able t turn up the illegal immigration?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #24
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Here's little more fuel - If our countrys' immigration program wasn't backed up 9 years(for processing), maybe some of the legit immigrants would wait and not try to be smuggled in. It's not just Mexicans and central american folks but there's Chinese, Koreans and many others that are paying thousands to smugglers to get them here.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #25
jms

ok, nobody who comes to this country is required to learn english. But we won't feel sorry for you when you don't. But I will advocate and support free english lessons for immigrants, you can even tie it in with improved literacy programs for our illiterate population.

AS for our poor ass excuse for an immigration policy. any bureaucracy will slow the whole thing down. what we need is an effective way to get people in and keep the bad people out. One really hasn't been devised yet. I'll think about one for the next few days.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
The whole "learn English" deal is kind of weak in my opinion. I speak, read, and write better in English than a lot of people I have met in this country. I am not even talking about uneducated people -- the verbal dexterity of many people with whom I went to college left much to be desired. If you aren't willing to learn a language well, don't make a big push for others to so do.

This country processes immigration paperwork very, very slowly. Furthermore, the requirements are ridiculously exigent -- so much that about 15% of the illegal immigrants are people who have at least a Bachelor's degree, yet have not been granted a chance to legally migrate to the US. When each of my two sisters and I went to the US consulate to apply for our student visas, we were required to show proof that we had the cash available to pay for all four years (about $80k each) from the get go. The same evidence had to be provided to the university before they even admitted us. Now, how many of those people phoning in calls to the radio complaining about how the illegals should have followed the legal procedures would have been able to show such proof?

I have so much that I could say regarding this matter. The US immigration policy is relly messed up. Illegal immigration is messed up, too. But life is really messed up for a lot of people, too. Many of these people decide it is morally correct to cross borders illegally, acquire fake documents, and work far away form home in order to feed their families and or better their own quality of life.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware that not everyone who comes in illegally has a noble motivation. With the Hispanics, particularly, I am very aware of the vices of the culture. However, I have seen how bad things are back home, and I haven't even seen the worse. What I have see, though, is worse than anything I have seen here in the US.

Amnesty would be the wonrg move. That would be rewarding illegal behavior. Given the fact that there are already millions of illegal workers in the country, a protected status would be fitting. This would allow people to get a SSN (no SS benefits, just a number so that they can be tracked by the government, pay taxes, build credit, etc.), driver's license (which in turn allows them to get car insurance), and work without being scared all the time.

Anyhow, my US employer expects to see results, and my lunch break is almost over. I have to go back to work.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #27
c1apton

drz(aka "Doc") I have about 30 guys & girls that I employ from overseas and I pay for their work visas to work on my crews. I can relate to US immigrant policy being long & lengthy and rediculous, that's why I pay for their work visas - this gives them a foot in and credibility if/when they want to relocate. In turn they are some of my best too - they appreciate being welcomed and given an opportunity to prove their worth.( I've had only one instance of a person abusing the process and I wouldn't renew his contract on next gig.) I also require a level of expertise per depts and pay is relevant to the job not per color or country of origin. I pay my staffs extremely well regardless of US or non US employee. I require English speaking & more importantly being able to read stage plots & schematics - communication is critical and they have to be able to interact between the depts (audio, video, lighting, rigging, wardrobe, security, catering & production) We have 2 crews we jokingly call the "league of nations" because they are a "motley" bunch but they get the job done and they do it well. And the bottom line is making & keeping the client happy. "It's their trainset"
Old 04-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #28
c1apton

On the lighter side of the issue - Deport Him

Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #29
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
^^ NO way man. He feed many starving college students.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #30
jrhaile

Name: jrhaile
Rate My Car: 114 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 Dinan Turbo, 95 M52 Turbo
I like the idea of sentry guns.. any mexican that moves, blast them!

joking of course.. I think.