Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Arrow Car-Wallpapers.net - Automotive Wallpaper Gallery

Googling around for wallpapers, I don't think ANY site is doing what I developed. I might even go as far as to say, this could be the single most advanced wallpaper gallery on the internet. lol (I haven't found one close)

Anyway, go here:

http://www.car-wallpapers.net

I've just finished developing this from the ground up. It's a wallpaper gallery that's completely member-run, without all the flashy ads, popups, and deceptive links of other wallpaper galleries. Anyone can upload and submit a wallpaper, and it goes through a period of pending addition. During this limbo period, people can thumbs up or reject it. If the wallpaper is given enough approvals, it's automatically moved to the correct category and indexed in the database. If it receives enough reject votes before it's added, the uploaded wallpaper is automatically deleted, and all data related to it purged from the system... never reaching it's category (exploring the website will help clarify this, or read the further description here).

Another cool thing on uploading: say you upload a 1280x1024 wallpaper. As soon as you submit it, the system will automatically generate additional wallpapers for the resolutions 1024x768 and 800x600, the two steps below the size you uploaded. If you upload a 1600x1200 (max supported), it generates copies for all the resolutions. This adds more choices for the user. Also when uploading a wallpaper, the image's size are checked strictly against standard wallpaper sizes, so small or oddly shaped images will never clutter the system.

Now, I've coded a complete tagging system and implemented it on the wallpapers, very similar to the tagging systems of Technorati, del.icio.us, and digg.com (as well as countless others like netvouz, blinklist, simply, shadows, etc). When you view a wallpaper, for example (http://www.car-wallpapers.net/view-wallpaper-22.html), you will notice on the bottom middle the tags the wallpaper is marked with. Anyone can add new tags, and through the edit mode (button below the bottom right corner of the wallpaper thumbnail), people can issue votes to delete tags. Tagging is great because it connects wallpapers with similar features. For example you can click on the M3 tag of that example and see all the other M3 wallpapers in the system, bringing up the search results from that tag. Then you can change the drop-down to filter by category within the tag search. For example, when you're viewing all M3s (http://www.car-wallpapers.net/tags-M3.html), you can change the drop down from "Show All" to "BMW", and only see the M3's in the BMW category (this is more appropriate for cross-make tags, such as convertible), or you can change the tag to "Girls and Cars", and see all wallpapers containing a girl posing with an M3. If you've never used tags before on another website, play around with them on here, as they're quite useful.

Now the cool part, navigation. When you click on BMW on the left navigation menu, for example, you see 5-10 submenu items that appear below it (e36, e46, m3, z4, etc). These are not hard-coded, but completely dynamic. When you click on BMW, the system goes through and looks at every BMW wallpaper in the gallery, and analyzes all the tags. It then chooses a handful of the most popular tags (algorithmic), and lists those below the Make as suggested subcategories. This setup is great because say someone logs on and uploads 150 wallpapers of the new M6. After the system detects enough popularity of that tag, it'll automatically add M6 to the submenu below BMW, so people can go straight there.

And also, this site is extremely search engine friendly and optimized, so as soon as it starts gaining some popularity, search engines will love it.

Keep in mind, the site just was finished this afternoon, so there may be a bug or two (if you find anything, let me know), however so far it seems pretty bulletproof.

The next step is to grow the database, so if you guys have any great wallpapers sitting around on your computer, please upload away! We need to bulk up a bit now (however make sure it doesn't already exist in the system before you upload). As soon as it matures a bit, I'd like to replace the UB wallpaper gallery with this one.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions! I need some feedback!

Thanks guys!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
BaLAnCe17

Name: BaLAnCe17
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 m3 coupe :-D
i donno what to say other than that is sweet!!! upload your wallpapers everyone. later

~david
Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #3
dinanM6

Name: dinanM6
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
damn sweet I know where Im gettin my wallpapers from now on

Member of the "I have no money" club
Founding Member of the "I need a job" club
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
craig

Name: craig
Title: Sitting in Time out
Click here to set it up.
nice. nice. nice. nice.

man... i didnt see that one coming.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
jms

Name: jms
Title: ______
Rate My Car: 105 / 340
Your Ride: 99 328I Convertible
Looks great, one thing though. you may want to add a referrer check so people can't leech these for other sites. Or possible add an overlay with www.car-wallpapers.net which is removed when your referrer is another car-wallpapers.net page.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
^^^
good idea, and taken care of.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 03-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
Avlany

Name: Avlany
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 Jet Black 325i
Awesome site man.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
jms

got a bug trying to save the image
Quote:
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: readfile(wallpapers/125-800x600-m3-sexy-girl.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/home/carpaper/public_html/download.php</b> on line <b>24</b><br />
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
got a bug trying to save the image
How can I replicate that error?

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
jms

I can't replicate, I assume you must have fixed it.

essentially I was clicking on the inline link and I was getting the error.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
I can't replicate, I assume you must have fixed it.

essentially I was clicking on the inline link and I was getting the error.
Yeah, I just found and fixed it.

It was a bug with how I spliced the filename. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
jms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieluhr
^^^
good idea, and taken care of.
I just tested it and it works without a referrer.
http://www.car-wallpapers.net/downlo...25&res=800x600 will open without visiting the site. I can hotlink and display the larger files with no problem.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
I just tested it and it works without a referrer.
http://www.car-wallpapers.net/downlo...25&res=800x600 will open without visiting the site. I can hotlink and display the larger files with no problem.
Yeah, I haven't added the referrer part yet. I'll do that this evening.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
jms

I would use either gd or imagemagick to apply a tag across the top to watermark it and still let it show. but it's up to you.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
I would use either gd or imagemagick to apply a tag across the top to watermark it and still let it show. but it's up to you.
I thought of that, but I personally hate it when my wallpaper is badged like that. I'd rather let a few other sites leech the graphics (which can be gotten from other sites anyway, people will hopefully use this site for the technology and ease), and still maintain a high-quality gallery that's not branded. Again, for the members.