Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting > Lighting DIY's
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting DIY's all lighting DIY

Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
habbie

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
Hid Diy Install e36 and e39

Just bought a set of Prolumen 6k HIDs from Ouri over at BavToys.com I ordered them last Thursday I think it was and I got them yesterday evening. So it took 4 business days to get to me through FedEx.

The contents were well packaged and had security tape over every seam so I would know if they were fooled with or not when I was recieving them.

I am very happy with my purchase. As far as my install though? I just glanced at some instructions I found online. Funny thing is that the ones I found were hooked up backwards to how my lights installed. outt So I just kinda felt my way as I went. I did get 1 good idea from the instructions I found though, and you will see it.

Now onto the DIY.

I know there are some out there but I figured it would only take me about 5 extra minutes to take pictures and maybe someone could take something useful from my install.

I first started by hooking the hardware up to get a visual on how everything worked together.

If you will notice, the end plug with the 2 wires exposed are not included with the kit.

Next thing I did was take the cover off of my ZKW low beam light(the one with the projector) and remove the possitive wire(leave the negative, the brown wire, in). After removing the possitive wire tape it up and tuck it away inside the lamp housing.

[I used this method from some other DIY, Umnitza included a wire that does the same job as what I am doing but this is a bit cleaner imho]
Now take that plug you used from the old lamps and wire it into your low-beam wire and the ground wire coming from the car. You will need to remove the low-beam wire plug that hooks into your newer euro lights. I imagine you can just tie it in if you really wanted to, but I think it looks cleaner this way.

Next thing I did was hook a mounting plate(included in the kit-Great idea manufacturers!!) to the ballast. Be careful with those screws that you use to mount the plate, they can easily be striped.

Now, the smart thing to do is to test out the goods before you take more time to mount them. So that's what I did.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//

Last edited by habbie; 10-22-2006 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
habbie

After making sure that the goods worked I started to decide where to mount everything. On the passanger side there did not seem to be any really good way to mount everything. So what I did was start by mounting the ballast on the wheel/suspension well. I used the METAL DRAWING SCREW that was included in the kit.

I then cleaned the surface I planned on using to mount the ignitors on with some rubbing alcohol. I then cleaned the ignitor with the same liquid, then I mounted the 3m tape on the ignitor and mounted it against the well.

Now it is time that I manage to get the wires into the light housing while keeping it water-tight. The kit includes a washer that can keep the lamps water-tight. The part was already mounted on the wires, so it was a matter of cutting a hole that would fit the washer nice and snug. Because I forgot my Dremel at the shop I had to make due with a drill, some tin-snips and a razor knife. I drilled holes in the shape of a circle and cut it out. Then I inserted the washer. MAKE SURE TO INSERT THE CORRECT DIRECTION!

Be careful when you are putting the lid back on the lights. It would be easy to snag on something and tear some expensive part out!

Now as you can see I kept my lights in during the install. It took very little effort to work with everything while the lights were in. But if you are clumsy I would say take the extra time to remove the lights before doing the work.

I had installed the drivers side first and did not take any pictures during the install of that side.

I made very good use of the mounting plates included with the kit. They came in VERY handy. I also did not take any pictures of my wiring after everything was said and done. It is not brain surgery to figure out how to clean up the wires and such. I used the zip-ties included with the kit to make everything clean looking.

Hope this can be of some help to someone.

special thanks goes out to Jean Claude for this excellent write up.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//

Last edited by habbie; 10-22-2006 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
defkon99

Name: defkon99
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 50 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 E36
Thumbs up

KEWL! DIY! i will use this soon!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Great DIY. Would you like me to add it to our knowledge base?
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/kbase.php

Old 03-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
habbie

e39 specific install:

1)unplug your lowbeam adapter from your OEM H7 bulb holders.

2)Then remove your H7 bulb and keep in a safe place...never know when you might need them.

3)Bring out the dremel and attack the cutting tip to it.

4)Cut the H7 bulb holder in half, right above the metal prongs that accept your H7 bulbs. Have a friend hold the H7 base for you while you dremel around it, this is much easier than doing it yourself and safer.

5) when done cutting make sure to sand down the top part to remove the parts that are bulging out, also sanding helps the JB weld hold the bond ALOT better. Sand both top and bottom parts to achieve smoothness.

6) put this aside for now and get mix the JB weld, apply JB weld to the bottom of the HID bulb holder and to the top of the H7 Base.
**Make sure all surfaces are sanded before applying JB Weld, otherwise bond will not be strong enuff.**

7) Wait 5-6 minutes to allow bond to become strong

8) Allow 10 minutes this time to dry, extra time is need to make sure bond is strong enuff to handle the torque applied to it when locking the base into the projector housing.

9) Twist it in just like your regular H7 bulbs! Make sure the tabs are aligned.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Mpower95M3

Name: Mpower95M3
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 43 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3
The pictures from the hosting service are no longer available. Can you move them to another server or post them inline? Not much help without the pics.