Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Tire, Wheels And Suspension Forum Sponsored by: TireRack.com
Talk about tires and wheels , Discuss springs, coilovers, struts, sways, and all related topics for your Bimmer.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
ivopivo

Name: ivopivo
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 140 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325i and 2009 Yamaha R6s
H&R... sport vs. race...

i don't know if there's a thread like this already, if so, link me to it and erase this...

i just want to hear from people who have either the sports or the race springs from H&R....
how do you like the ride? what shocks are you using with the springs? pics? everything that comes to mind please share.
it would be great to hear from people who have had both on their E36..

the time has come where my 4x4 needs to be lowered and i have decided to go with bilstein sport shocks with either the race or sport h&r springs, so i need advice, comments, pics, etc.

thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
I run H&R Race on my M3, and I've ridden many times in Rob's 325 (on UB) which has H&R Sport.

Both are very stiff, and it really comes down to your preference. If you put Race on your car, you lose most of the luxury appeal of the car because you feel EVERY bump on the road. No constant vibrations with either (straight roads are smooth); it's not like a truck, however you sure as hell better dodge potholes or it hurts, lol. Sport is a bit softer, but still very stiff, and while you still feel every inperfection in the road, it's toned down a bit.

I love my H&R Race, and the occasional bumping doesn't bother me really, but the girls dislike it a bit, haha, but it's okay because I make up for it by downshifting and making them smile again.

I'm also running Bilsteins with the springs on my m3. I'm not positive what shocks Rob is running, but I'm pretty sure they're Bilsteins also.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
ivopivo

Name: ivopivo
Rate My Car: 140 / 340
Your Ride: 1993 BMW 325i and 2009 Yamaha R6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
I run H&R Race on my M3, and I've ridden many times in Rob's 325 (on UB) which has H&R Sport.

Both are very stiff, and it really comes down to your preference. If you put Race on your car, you lose most of the luxury appeal of the car because you feel EVERY bump on the road. No constant vibrations with either (straight roads are smooth); it's not like a truck, however you sure as hell better dodge potholes or it hurts, lol. Sport is a bit softer, but still very stiff, and while you still feel every inperfection in the road, it's toned down a bit.

I love my H&R Race, and the occasional bumping doesn't bother me really, but the girls dislike it a bit, haha, but it's okay because I make up for it by downshifting and making them smile again.

I'm also running Bilsteins with the springs on my m3. I'm not positive what shocks Rob is running, but I'm pretty sure they're Bilsteins also.

Hope that helps.
sounds like another vote for race springs for me, thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
EuroStyle

Name: EuroStyle
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 325i
Make sure you get front and rear camber kits if you get race springs, the drop is drastic enough to really f**k w/ your camber and caster. 450-550 in additional parts...

Komodo does have camber plates; I believe he neglected to mention that.

Sport FTW

-Matt
Clear corners~Painted bumpers/rockers~Dinan intake~UUC evo3 short shifter w/ delrin bushings~UUC dssr~UUC black tm w/ tme~UUC shift knob~Alpine head unit~H&R sport springs~BavAuto RSMs~SSR GT2 8.5x17 wheels~Bridgstone 235/40/R17 rubber
Old 03-19-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
^^ Ah right, that too.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
zeit00

Name: zeit00
Rate My Car: 39 / 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
^^ Ah right, that too.
I don't have camber plates.. Only running 1.6 negative camber in the front.. 1.5 in the rear.

BTW running H&R race with koni SA shocks/struts..
Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Race. The sport drop on non-M e36's is a bit disappointing.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 03-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #8
B_w.

Name: B_w.
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 61 / 340
Your Ride: turbo e36
i have h and r sport springs with bilstein sport shocks. i have stock wheels so the ride is fine for now. i find that the rear looks like it was dropped more than the front. i understands thats how bilsteins look. if i had to do it over again i would just spen the extra money and get some adjustable coilovers. i have bad camber in the rear but not in the front. the inside of the tires wear much more than the outside. does anybody have a link to some good camber plates?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 AM   #9
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
www.bimmerworld.com

They sell a wide variety of camber plates. Good prices too. I jsut spent a grand there this morning.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
moved

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
another vote for the race. eibach proline is also a very nice drop, too. i believe robstah is running those.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Negrodamus

Name: Negrodamus
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 87 / 340
Your Ride: 92 325is
On my 325is i have changed the suspension components to a full M3 stock set up how low would this drop cause I already have about a 2 finger gap with the m3 spring and shocks and struts how low would these drop?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
B_w.

Name: B_w.
Rate My Car: 61 / 340
Your Ride: turbo e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrodamus
On my 325is i have changed the suspension components to a full M3 stock set up how low would this drop cause I already have about a 2 finger gap with the m3 spring and shocks and struts how low would these drop?
you need some punctuation in there for that to make any sense. i dont think m3 suspension would lower it much. besides much better after market suspension can be had for non m's. also, buying used suspension is a bad idea because you never know how much abuse it has taken and how much more it will take.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
That's a good question. I'd say it would drop it just the same as it would any non-m car. The sports will probaly have the same gap as you have now, or a little bit less.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
Negrodamus

Name: Negrodamus
Title: United Newb
Rate My Car: 87 / 340
Your Ride: 92 325is
Why thank you sir for answsering my question, I appreciate that. My M3 setup is Brand Spankin new just want to drop it a little more