High Performance Ignition Coil Installation
Safety Warning: Be sure the engine is cool before beginning Installation.
Installation Note: Depending on the mileage of your BMW, you may want to consider having a fresh set of spark plugs and valve cover gasket set on hand before begninin installation.
Procedure Note: These instructions will assume the installer is familiar with the standard ignition coil replacement procedures and has access to the appropriate repair manuals for the applicable BMW models.
3 Series 6 cyl. 92-02 except 02 M3
5 Series 6 cyl. 91-02
5 Series 8 cyl. thru 03
7 Series 8 cyl. thru 01
8 Series 8 cyl.
Z3 All 6 cyl. (Except M Roadster/M Coupe 01 on)
X5 6 cyl. thru 02
8 cyl. thru 02
1. Open the Engine hood. Remove the plastic Valve cover trim Panels by first removing the oil filler cap and the plastic plugs which cover the trim panel retaining nuts. On V8s, remove the center intake manifold trim cover in a similar manner.
2. For each coil, gently pry up the coil harness plug lock clip and remove the harness plug from the coil. To avoid confusion and screwing up which cable goes where do 1 at a time starting from the front or from the back whatever is easier for you, I did these from the front and worked my way back.
3. Remove the two coil mounting bolts from coil the coil and gently pull up the Coil assembly. The spark plug connector boot may be stuck to the plug. If so, twist the coil a bit while pulling up. (Repeat for each coil)
4. A) Inspect spark plug cavities for evidence of any oil. If there is oil in any of the cavities, the valve cover gasket is leaking and should be replaced. The oil can cause random mis-fires and will contribute to deteriorization of the spark plug connector boots.
B) If you’re installing new spark plugs, do so at this point.
5. Add the silicone dielectric compound included with your coils,
Info:Silicone Dielectric Compound conditions spark plug wires and boots to prevent deterioration and fusing to spark plugs. Eliminates arcing and voltage leaks.
6. Carefully install the new high-performance coil and boot assemblies over the spark plugs and push down until the coil is fully seated and against the valve cover. Install the coil retaining bolts.
7. Install the coil harness plugs and secure the retaining clips on the plugs.
8. Install the plastic trim cover and the oil filler cap.
Now take your bimmer for a ride!