Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E46
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E46 General discussion and technical help for 1999-2004 3 series cars.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Dathaeus

Name: Dathaeus
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 328i w/sports package
New key needed

Someone told me that you can get a new key with remote from some non-BMW official dealership, but I asked around and the prevailing answer is you need to actually go to a dealership with your title and license and order it there.

If anyone knows of an actual place I can get the key with remote for under $250 (what my local Braman charges) please let me know.

One of my keys just doesnt work, remote doesnt work and the key doesnt turn on the car either although I can open and lock the car and turn the electric on... maybe just the chip is bad? Or do these things open up and maybe if so maybe just a dying battery?
Tires: BBS 17" rims
Hankook Ventus V12
Front: 225/45ZR
Rear: 255/40ZR

Answerway.com
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
That is a dealer-only item so far as I know. They need your VIN to cut the key and your vehicle to program the chip.

Perhaps the price has gone up, but I bought a key for my 2004 two years ago for about $125 as I recall.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
I just ordered a couple of V2020's from eBay and will replace the battery first, and then reprogram. Thats worth it considering the local Braman will charge $250. The other guy from thebmwpartstore has not given me a price quote yet. But if he is reasonable, I'll still need a second key just in case... freakin valet key is worthless since I "valet" like once a year.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
So I got a couple of new keys from Thebmwpartstore and it was less than $150 each, not bad, and they look good. But he tells me I need to program it like its been described in thousands of posts like this one, insert, turn to 1, out, hold unlock, press lock 3 times. But it doesnt work. The remote doesnt work after, and the doors dont even lock/unlock after the button sequence to show its programmed, am I missing something? I am sure all doors all close, all windows and sunroof are closed tight. I even tried turning to position 2, clutch not/pushed, brake not/pushed, holding down the unlock while turning to ignition 1/2, holding the key over my shoulder towards the rear antenna when pressing buttons, etc.... he sent me this video to follow, pretty much standard except this guy holds down the unlock while doing the ignition thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-AK...ature=youtu.be

What can be wrong?
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Ive never heard of being able to program your key yourself. The key has a chip in it as part of the EWS system. That chip sends a unique code to the EWS system, and if that code isnt recognized by the system the ignition lock wont disable. Thats why everyone says its a dealer only item. The chips need to programmed using your VIN number or a computer with the proper software.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
Ive never heard of being able to program your key yourself. The key has a chip in it as part of the EWS system. That chip sends a unique code to the EWS system, and if that code isnt recognized by the system the ignition lock wont disable. Thats why everyone says its a dealer only item. The chips need to programmed using your VIN number or a computer with the proper software.
There were a couple of people who ordered from this guy, and they all seemed satisfied. I emailed him that I could not program the key, and he responded with a video link to that same process I already knew, about holding down the unlock and click lock 3 times inside the car. He said to call him if further trouble, but it always goes right to voicemail, so I'll try again Monday.

One thing, my original key that did not work, I WAS able to "program" a few times and make the remote work, but it always reverted back to dead after that day. Then I tried replacing the battery, and I think I ruined it because on the last cu of the plastic, I severed a part, and I soldered it back, but its possible I missed another piece I may have damaged. So now that one cant be "programmed" either, so I cant even test if something else is wrong.

So much for this being painless and saving money.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
DEATH2000

Ebay is great for some things, but terrible for others. I would never order a key off ebay. The keys are laser cut in Hamburg Germany when the car is first made. Replacment keys are then made in New Jersey and express posted overnight to the dealer of choice that ordered it. Way more convienent then ebay.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Quote:
Ebay is great for some things, but terrible for others. I would never order a key off ebay. The keys are laser cut in Hamburg Germany when the car is first made. Replacment keys are then made in New Jersey and express posted overnight to the dealer of choice that ordered it. Way more convienent then ebay.
I didnt see any valid keys on ebay... they sell knockoffs that look the same but none of the remote buttons work, and they clearly state it, so I didnt even bother there. I did hear there are some selling used keys and you can re-program, but I didnt wanna deal with all that crap, let alone by that time it will be prob just as costly.

I got it from this guy at thebmwpartstore.com and people have said he sells legit keys, thats why I am getting pissed... I guess I jus wont know until I talk to him on the phone.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
DEATH2000

Did they ask for the VIN when you ordered it? Their is a software program that can program them with the proper computer software but you need the VIN.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Dathaeus

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Did they ask for the VIN when you ordered it? Their is a software program that can program them with the proper computer software but you need the VIN.
These were his messages:

I am input the information for your key today. BMW should deliver it to me tomorrow.

This is the video we have made for programming keys.
http://youtu.be/a8-AKW6tB_E

Since my VIN is in the title, I assumed it was good enough.
Hankook Ventus V12

Answerway.com
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
DEATH2000

Ya thats odd then. They had your VIN, but that email makes it sound like they just ordered it from BMW themselves! Because at the Dealer you need a copy of your registration/title/proof of ownership and your drivers license.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE