Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
jeff86h

Name: jeff86h
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 530I
Help - Advice Needed! Steering

Hi all. First post on the forum.

I took my vehicle (530I 2004 w/82,000 miles) into the dealership to get the control arm replaced because the bushing was wearing away and it had a very slight pull to the left. With the car jacked up it had noticeable movement in the driver side wheel (about .25 of an inch). The next day i received a call saying they replaced the control arm, but now the steering is acting strange and they need to run a diagnostic and possibly recalibrate. A few hours later my service advisor called back and prefaced the conversation by stating he has terrible news - i need to replace my steering rack and my active power steering control module. Total cost $6,000.

Before i took my car in i had no knowledge of either of these going out. No leaks, no noise, no steering issues (except for the slight pull which i believe was caused by the worn control arm). Also, i had my car in the dealership for brakes less than a month ago. You think they would of said something if they noticed anything.

The car has been in a wreck. What they are saying is that sometime a wreck will reverse the polarity of the active steering and fry the module. Is this true? Even if it is why would my steering be fine until the dealership serviced it?

I haven't drove the car since i dropped it off, but what they are saying is that the steering feels loose and will suddenly jerk to one side.

I'm new to BMWs so, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
jeff86h

Name: jeff86h
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 530I
To clarify the wreck mentioned above - The car was in a front end collusion and repaired a few years ago.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
I think thats complete bull shit on the dealerships part. Go get a second opinion. I have never heard that claim before. Odds are the pull is from worn out tie rod ends, or your alignement is off. If the pull is only during braking then you have a sticking brake caliper. Its a 2004, not a 2013, so its not as advanced as they claim. My friend as an 04 320i and I did his power steering pump swap.

Also im hoping you got a PPI and did a VIN check before purchasing the car so you would know the history. Its not the end of the world if the car has been in a wreck, but its important to know ahead of time. Specially if bought from a dealer.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE