Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
BMW 335i - Twin Turbo

Quote:
The BMW M3 looks headed for some stiff in-house rivalry in the form of a secret twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder version of the 3-series that’s little more than a year away from introduction. The new car, depicted here in computer-generated images based on recent scoop photographs, will be badged 335i according to Autocar sources.

The future 3-series range-topper will be ready for launch in left-hand-drive European markets by mid-2006, with right-hand-drive UK sales six months later. To be offered in coupé, saloon and estate guises, the 335i should bridge the gap that will be created in BMW’s range as the next M3 moves upmarket when it arrives in 2007 with 4.0-litre V8 power and a price to match.

The 3.0-litre straight six is said to produce around 330bhp – up 72bhp on the new 330i and just 13bhp shy of today’s 3.2-litre M3. The new powerplant takes a leaf out of BMW’s latest diesel engine development by employing two turbochargers – one operating at lower engine speeds to boost low-end torque with the other called upon to extend power at the top end.

‘It’s going to take turbocharging to a whole new level,’ said a supplier privy to the new engine’s performance claims. Nothing’s official, but a 0-60mph time of around 6.0sec appears to be on the cards with top speed limited to 155mph. By coupling turbocharging with Vanos variable valve timing and Valvetronic, the new engine is said to be very economical and Euro4 emission compatible.

It’s possible that BMW is planning to provide the 335i with a new double-clutch gearbox similar to Volkswagen’s acclaimed DSG transmission. Tipped to replace the sequential manual unit used on the old 3-series, its development is cloaked in secrecy with a launch date still undetermined. The new BMW won’t be the only model to carry the 335 name. Also under development is a new 3-series model fitted with the same twin turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel that’s used in the 535d.

0-60 time seems kinda low for a twin turbo 3.5 liter bimmer though...

But just imagine what a chip would do to that car.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
EnvyM3

Name: EnvyM3
Title: DSC OFF!
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2005 545i SMG
Damn that's sweet. Maybe by then I'll be buying a new one.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
mrkbik

Name: mrkbik
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 122 / 340
Your Ride: '94 325is
Wow, only 330hp out of a twin-turbocharged 3 liter... You're right about the chip though, that thing is gonna fly.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
the afro guy

Name: the afro guy
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
it might not have "that much" power but i'll bet that its got an absolute mountain of torque on tap. they didn't give that figure out. they will be keeping the power figure down so as to not eat into the m3's sales. m3 is forecast to have 400+hp from a 4.0 v8. i'd imagine that alpina and hartge will be using this 335i as their base to modify. i can see hartge running big numbers out of this engine.

i am god.... i know this because one day i was praying and discovered i was talking to myself
Old 04-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Title: Upgraded Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
This will be the the M3 for those not affording THE M3. In a 4 door version no doubt as well! That's so sweet. I'd buy one asap, assuming by that time I had the money, of course. But man... TWIN TURBO!!!!

Dough

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 04-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
I think that's pushing the 2 wheel drive limit a bit
Old 04-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
ChrisWorrell

Name: ChrisWorrell
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 330i
Im kind of dissapointed about the twin-turbo, for two reasons, one, its kind of dissapointing BMW is resorting to FI in order to try and sell cars but thats not that big of a deal, two, for a twin turbo 330bhp. that is absolutely PATHETIC for a twin turbo, they are bringing the HP up from the 330 a what? 100hp, im sorry but with twin-turbos 100hp is a joke.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWorrell
Im kind of dissapointed about the twin-turbo, for two reasons, one, its kind of dissapointing BMW is resorting to FI in order to try and sell cars but thats not that big of a deal, two, for a twin turbo 330bhp. that is absolutely PATHETIC for a twin turbo, they are bringing the HP up from the 330 a what? 100hp, im sorry but with twin-turbos 100hp is a joke.
Yea, of course, BUT,HP means shit if you don't have the torque to back it up. That's what I want to know...

Dough

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 04-30-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
edit: are they talking about a diesel or gasoline engine here?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
the afro guy

Name: the afro guy
Click here to set it up.
it'll be petrol engines that they are talking about. bmw already have turbo diesels all over the place in europe.

i think the reason they aren't going for massive power is because the m3 will be 400hp or there abouts. there is no point in making a "standard" car more powerful than the m3. its just stupid. 330hp from a stock tt3.0 is still pretty damn good though. there aren't too many twin turbo motors that make that straight from the factory and the ones that do are considered "high performance" such as the rb26dett of the gtr skylines and the twin turbo supra engines. they don't make 330hp stock.

the power and boost will be low to aid reliability as well. if you start tuning the car too much its going to have a rediculous manitenance schedule and nobody will buy the car baecuase it'll be an expensive pain in the ass to maintain.

while 330hp might be a bit down for a performance car that we youger people go for, its more than adequate for the people that will be actually buying the cars. the ones that want more power will either do the mods themselves or just buy an m3.

i am god.... i know this because one day i was praying and discovered i was talking to myself
Old 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
witeshark

Output numbers are nice, but what will the car really do? And where can you use that? Not here in Miami! I'd like a 120d here actually
Old 05-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
B_w.

Name: B_w.
Rate My Car: 61 / 340
Your Ride: turbo e36
that would be pretty sweet. i bet it would be pretty easy to make that produce some serious hp and torque with a little tuning. i cant wait to see this.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #13
witeshark

Turbo diesels are the future! Just watch!
Old 05-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #14
ilia

Name: ilia
Click here to set it up.
BMW has been doing turbos for a while, so they're not "resorting" to turbos to keep up, they're simply revisiting a technology they mastered a while ago. BMW has some of the most famous and impressive turbo motors and cars of all time.

Also, 330hp stock is plenty for a TT car. I'd like to know what the 2JZ-GTE made from the factory, or the RB26dett.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
spiff

Name: spiff
Click here to set it up.
I always thought BMW wouldnt move to a V8 for their 3er. just Audi, which obviously i think went in the bad direction, biturbo would have been so nice in a new S4..so muhc potential.

but anways, think of this(its what i was thinking of), BMW even with their 6 cyl engine still beats an S4 barely in a straight line, and with only 3.2L it puts out amazing horsepower, so if BMW moves to a V8...just think..of how absolutely nutty it would become with two more cylinders and that much more displacement...i can easily see a 4.5 or lower 0-60 STOCK. i would be VERY upset if they kept it at 4.8
Founder and Proud member of The "Ran from a Cop and Got away" Club (x6, and counting)

I with GotKraut religiously via AIM.