Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
WHAT THE HELL, how does the dealer loose your keys?

Allright 1st question is where is that Rant forum, cause this is a rant.

So i took my car to the local dealer here (lansing imports) since I am not close to my mechanic to get that oil leak fixed, replaced the lower pan. I would have done the work but its winter and I dont have access to a garage or my tools at school. So I took it in and it was with them for a couple of days, and I went to get it today. I get there and my service guy tells me he was just about to call cause they have a small problem, they can't find my key. They think the guy working on the car probably accidentally put it in his jacket pocket and then took it off cause it was warm here today (50) and forgot to take it out. So basically i have to call my roommate up to come back and get me, real pain in the ass. So i told the guy that I would take their brand new Caymen S home and bring it back tomorrow, that didn't fly. They didn't offer me any discounts or anything either. I didn't really think about it until i was in my roommates truck coming home, but tomorrow I'm going to ask for a discount or else some sort of free service. They did say they might take me for a ride in the Caymen but they wouldn't let me drive it

If anyone else has any suggestions for what I should ask for let me know.

HONESTLY HOW DOES THE BMW DEALER LOOSE YOUR KEY? [/rant]

BTW my spare key is at my house which is about 90 miles away so they better find me a key or make a good solution.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
nick_318is

Oh i was thinking looks like the stealer actually stole

C1apton your input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Calm down buddy, 1st their folks are human too. It does happen, the tech sets it on his toolbox, in his pocket, the lot boy forgets it when he takes a call, etc... They'll find it (I know you're going through withdrawl symtoms and panic of . I know what you're going through especially from a "stealership". They hire IDIOTS too)
Re: discount or deal, calmly ask what "can" they do about the hassle they caused you. Don't demand, ask what they can/will do for you. They can offer a deal on parts/labor - freebies etc... Just let them know it was a MAJOR pain in your schedule and you're going to let a BMW rep you know the experience you had via united bimmer forums. (do this calmly... you'll get more help than getting in their faces)

After you get the car back, let me know of the outcome & I'll contact Doug in Atlanta
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
nick_318is

Thanks, i was really calm at the dealership and didn't get worked up, I will ask nicely and also say the bit about the rep, I have planed to do this from the start cause i cetainly know that yelling isn't going to get anything accomplished, plus if I were them I wouldn't want to deal with a pissed off customer who acted like that.

Well i'm off to the bar with some buds.

Thanks C1apton
Old 01-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Not a problem, lol (we think alike - I've got 4 soundbros sitting here waiting on me to go on a "rape & pillage" run) The we go to the Alps in the AM - oh joy a hangover in altitude...

Gotta remember my new years resolution - "every hangover I get this year I'm going to like." cioa
Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
as c1apton said, i would agree that they will most likely find it, secondly, you can ask them to order you a new key, and they pay for it, or thirdly, i would get another key and not pay them until they find it or replace your key(if thats possible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
nick_318is

drinking = awsome, tongith was rough my best bud just broke up with his gf and is a mess and then my friend kery rolled her ankle and was a mess too it suckd but i will make sure the situation is allright before i take the car back. in anycase i probably shouldn't be on ub.c plus its way to early for me to be back
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Okay Nick, sleep time yo!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
Hoppy

Name: Hoppy
Title: fueled by bourbon
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
burn it down!

BURN IT ALL!

naw thats gay they didnt even offer you a loaner, i mean they did loose your keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF5
Well yeah, the BATFE is like the Anti Hoppy.
Well hey, hey Mr. Policeman
Bet I can drive faster than you can
Come on Hoss, let's have some fun
Go on shoot me with your radar gun
You look bored and I sure am
Catch me if you can.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #10
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
Forget dealing with them. Call up BMW NA and tell them that the dealership lost your keys for your car. Explain to them that you understand things happen, but feel they should have done something. They didn't even call you, you show up and "oops, we dunno where your keys are". They didn't offer you a rental and didn't even offer a ride home!

Then again, it's just an e30 :P just kidding! (chances are half those techs would love to buy your car!!!)
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
nick_318is

Thanks guys, they brought the car to me yesterday and made me happy with what they are gonna do for me, so I can't complain too much.

Oh Storamin, anytime the car went to the dealer at home there were always techs who would ask if I wanted to sell the car, they always walk up look at the car and then just ask.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is
Thanks guys, they brought the car to me yesterday and made me happy with what they are gonna do for me, so I can't complain too much.

Oh Storamin, anytime the car went to the dealer at home there were always techs who would ask if I wanted to sell the car, they always walk up look at the car and then just ask.
Glad it worked out. My best friend has a 1991 318iS. Everytime he stops in at the dealership I swear to god, 5 people that work there swarm around him and ask to buy the car. Hell, I would be one of the 5. 91 318is are really special.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Oh boy! If you think that was bad. Listen to this.

We try not to lose keys, but it happens ocassionally from time to time....maybe once every 6 months.

I carry around 5-6 keys on me at any given time. 2 customers keys, 2 loaner keys...and 2 keys to cars to bring to the technicians, not to mention test drive keys, sales keys, and keys that need to go back to our Recon department to get washed.

Buuuuut, at our dealership if a technician takes a key home or loses a key that is a SERIOUS offense. He could get fired for doing that, and BMW keys aren't cheap either. I lost a key to a brand new 2005 X5 4.4 and waited a couple days searching all of our cars....until a customer returned it becuase it didn't belong to them and it still had our dealer tag on it. I got lucky. And that was the last time I ever lost a key.

We aren't perfect and we try not to do it on purpose, but it DOES happen. Even my manager loses keys and when I find them, my manager takes all the credit. :rolls eyes:

So anywho, that's my .02 cents.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Storamin

Click here to set it up.
OT: jw how the camry was doing
Old 01-15-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storamin
OT: jw how the camry was doing
Wow, you guys really like to know about my Camry.

Well, if you must know.

It had an oil leak, so I had a BMW Tech look at it, and it needed a new valve cover. So got that changed and it looks to be doing pretty good. Just turned over 91,000 miles today (Sunday) and it's only a 1997, not bad.

And, it's making a wierd noise when I move my stearing wheel all the way to the left....hmmmm. Should get that checked out.

Otherwise, other upgrades....I'm thinking of getting a V1. I heard they just had an update 8.256, so we'll see. A different BMW tech wants to buy my X50 Blue if I decide to get a V1, but we'll see.

Thanks for asking.