Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
EuroStyle

Name: EuroStyle
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 92 325i
Camber correction?

This past summer after I had my car lowered I took it to a shop in Cincinnati (Performance Alignment) for a four wheel alignment. This is a very reputable shop that comes highly recommended from my tech.

The shop did the alignment and afterwards suggested that I get front and rear camber correction kits because they could not get the camber and toe adjusted exactly right.

I was going to get camber kits this summer when I get my new shocks (they cost 530 for front and rear) but, I haven't seen anyone on either UB.c or BF.c that has them.

So here is my question...

Do you think the kits will be necessary w/ just H&R sports, Bilstein sports, and wider tires?

Every thing points to no, except these damn professionals!

Thanks in advance for the help,
Matt

P.S. I also posted this thread in the suspension section but since no one replied I thought I would move it here. (Harry you can remove the thread I started in the suspension category)
Clear corners~Painted bumpers/rockers~Dinan intake~UUC evo3 short shifter w/ delrin bushings~UUC dssr~UUC black tm w/ tme~UUC shift knob~Alpine head unit~H&R sport springs~BavAuto RSMs~SSR GT2 8.5x17 wheels~Bridgstone 235/40/R17 rubber
Old 12-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
Ask for a printout. That's the only way to know. It's possible that your rear lower control arms are bent. A lot of tow trucks hook up onto them and bend them.

You can spend 300$ some odd dollars on the UUC Chromoly RLCA. They're SHINEY! GC is probaly the way to go for front camber adjustment plates.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
I've learned that changing the upper strut mounting bolt to a smaller size allows for about 1/2 degree of camber adjustment. But I've not heard of anyone who's had to get such adjustments made after lowering either. Storamin could be right, you may have bent control arms . . . on front arms in particular, defects are very hard to spot.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
EuroStyle

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
It's possible that your rear lower control arms are bent. A lot of tow trucks hook up onto them and bend them.
I checked my control arms the last time I was at my shop. I had one replaced this summer, so now they are fine. I even had my tech look over them and he said they were OK to.

Quote:
But I've not heard of anyone who's had to get such adjustments made after lowering either.
Neither have I, especially after doing some research. The only possible thing that I can this of is that, because these guys are such perfectionists w/ suspension that they are not happy w/ either camber or toe being slightly off. Hence why they suggested the camber kits.

Any more ideas guys? The help has been great.

-Matt
Clear corners~Painted bumpers/rockers~Dinan intake~UUC evo3 short shifter w/ delrin bushings~UUC dssr~UUC black tm w/ tme~UUC shift knob~Alpine head unit~H&R sport springs~BavAuto RSMs~SSR GT2 8.5x17 wheels~Bridgstone 235/40/R17 rubber
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
I say out of sight, out of mind. If it looks and rides just fine to you, leave it. Just keep an eye on your tires for telltale signs of misalignment.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
EuroStyle

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudesky
I say out of sight, out of mind. If it looks and rides just fine to you, leave it. Just keep an eye on your tires for telltale signs of misalignment.
I think that's the rout I'm going to go. For 530.00 plus labor I can't justify the purchase w/o signs of a significant problem. Plus installation of the kits is fairly simple, so if I did decide to get them in the future, it would be an easy project.

-Matt

P.S. Thanks for the help guys; this forum has made my life a lot easier!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Storamin

Name: Storamin
Title: Road Kill
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 325is, 2000 z3 2.3
It's recommended that you replace both control arms at the same time. Personally, I would get the adjustable rear lower control arms and the front camber adjustment kit if it was mine. Your tire wear will probaly be off due to the current setup.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
The shop is suggesting the kit because they are not able to align your car to SPEC. That does not mean you actually need them. You car will probably handle better now becuase of the increased negative camber. Just keep an eye out for your tires wearing un-evenly. As long as the tire wear isn't too bad then I would just leave it.

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"