Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Tech Talk > BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's Sponsored by: Advance Auto Parts
Discussion of everything OEM with Advance Auto Parts

Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Torque Wrench FAQ

Something I came across at work today . . .

Torque, a measure of turning or twisting force, is calculated by multiplying force by distance. For example, if you applied 10 lbs. of force with a 2-ft. wrench, you would get 20 ft.-lbs. of torque; if you applied 20 lbs. of force with a 1-ft. wrench, you would also get 20 ft.-lbs. of torque.
To get the best performance from your torque tool, be sure to hold it by the handle grip and pull slowly and evenly.
Selecting the Correct Torque Range— For the most accurate performance, the maximum torque you're applying should fall near the middle of the tool's torque range. For example, if you're applying 50 ft.-lbs. of torque, it would be better to choose a wrench with a range of 5 to 100 ft.-lbs., rather than a range of 5 to 50 ft.-lbs.
Accuracy— Accuracy is usually given for 20-100% of a tool's torque range. For example, if the torque range is 20 to 120 in.-lbs., the accuracy statement is true for measurements between 40 and 120 in.-lbs. Below 20% of the torque range, the tool's accuracy often drops off significantly.
Manual Tools vs. Power Tools— Hand torque tools apply a specific amount of torque and, in some cases, check the amount of torque on a fastener. Power tools, such as impact wrenches and power screwdrivers, usually apply a range of torque on the fastener being tightened and are not intended for applying a specific torque.
Types of Torque Tools— Electronic tools are the most accurate. Readings can be downloaded into printers, PCs, and dataloggers. Adjustable tools let users set the torque value. Preset tools have the torque set at the factory. Click-style tools signal when torque setting is reached with an audible click that you feel in the grip and a momentary release. Torquing after the signal will cause overtorquing. Torque-limiting tools slip to prevent overtorquing, then won't apply torque again until reset. Flat-beam wrenches are the most accurate nonelectronic torque tools. Round-beam wrenches are the most economical torque tools. Dial tools have a circular scale for monitoring torque as it's being applied.
Certificates of Calibration— Torque tools are calibrated by the manufacturer and a certificate provides proof of calibration and the date it was completed. Shelf life does not affect the calibration of a torque tool. Common practice is to begin the calibration life at the date of purchase or first use.
Conversions— The chart below shows how to convert between some of the units used to measure torque. Nm = Newton meters; dNm = deci Newton meters; cNm = centi Newton meters.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
That's too much like work. I just set my "clicker" and wait for the click. Your info is EXCELLANT, but that much calculating would make my brain itch.

Good Stuff bro!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
At driver's school they pound it into you, get one that clicks and only let it click once, more then that you might be screwing up the calibration. I have also heard that after a year or two you should get the wrench calibrated to keep it acurate.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Also in the case that "clicker" comes with is calculator to use if you are using extensions. IE 20lbs torque with 6" extension - set at (x) torgue instead of 20. If you get a Craftsman (lifetime warranty) just take back for new one.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Just wait for the click. Wut's more difficult than that?

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged