Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Heater Fan Switch Not Working?

I see a never ending threads on this topic of "fan blows on high only" so while talking to BMW "bud" in Atlanta this am he gave me info to pass on:

99% of the time it's the resistor pack just behind your heater controls.It's like a $20 piece from the "stealers" parts counter. (He's going to e/m some details/diagrams later at his convenience) He said another overlooked thing by DIYers is the actual "blades" on the fan speed switch itself. They collect moisture & condensation over time and lose contact. CLEAN THEM WHILE YOU'RE in there!!! Contact cleaner, 90% Isopropyl alcohol or brake clean will work. Spray it on and then work the switch. This was a common problem on the E36.

Just an FYI
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
Seasonal stuff, he he. In a few months we'll start up again with the cooling and A/C issues
Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Good to know. Thanks.

As him about the copyright issues with the diagrams also, because if there's no problem, we could probably evolve this a bit more and make a nice knowledge base entry out of it, for people to reference.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
not a problem w/copyright laws. (as long as UB doesn't charge for it) The only thing BMW gets bent out of shape is when people copy entire books and items that they sell.
Besides, Doug is a bigtime DIYer and we've been talking for years about doing DIYs & items of interest at dealers (weekends/nights) to get more folks knowledge levels up. It benefits the dealers big time because customers know better how to describe problems and have better understanding of what actually is involved in some labor procedures. It's a win/win situation and compliments factory/dealer/customer relations.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
not a problem w/copyright laws. (as long as UB doesn't charge for it) The only thing BMW gets bent out of shape is when people copy entire books and items that they sell.
Besides, Doug is a bigtime DIYer and we've been talking for years about doing DIYs & items of interest at dealers (weekends/nights) to get more folks knowledge levels up. It benefits the dealers big time because customers know better how to describe problems and have better understanding of what actually is involved in some labor procedures. It's a win/win situation and compliments factory/dealer/customer relations.
Awesome.