Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
awaller

Name: awaller
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Locked OUT! Dead Remote Key (first post!)

I have read a bunch of forums on this issue but I need to make sure. My battery in my remote key died a couple months back. I have been opening my car manually. This weekend I went to go unlock my car but nothing happened and it wouldnt unlock it. So I am locked out of my car with keys in hand...amazing!

I saw a video on how to replace my battery on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrxuUrnYSI

I also read how to replace my lock cylinder:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810099

However, I am not sure which I need to do. The video states I have to reprogram my key which is slightly impossible due to the lack of access to my ignition.

I am curious about which is the best and most efficient, least amount of dirt and car knowledge method for a woman like myself to solve this problem.

Any suggestions will be amazing!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Welcome to United Bimmer.

I am going to assume this is your only key to the vehicle? If so, you should really considering ordering spares. They are only available at the dealership due to the EWS system.

By the E46 post I am going to take it you have an E46. Try the key in the trunk. The trunk has a manual unlocking feature should the EWS system fail. At this point i would disconnect your battery, and leave it for at least one hour for the car to reset itself. Have you tried the key in the passenger side door? The E46 was known for a faulty GM5 Module, which controls the door locks.

As for why it may not be working, other then the GM5 module, the two most common issues are a door actuator, and the lock mechanism itself. The door actuator converts an electrical signal to a mechanical action, and occasionaly the micro switch wears out. In the lock mechanism, the peice that makes the door lock open is plastic, and has been known to fail. The only way to find out for sure is once you have opened the car.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
awaller

Name: awaller
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Thanks for your post.

I am definitely planning on getting a spare since my sister lost mine; however, I was told that wont help me right now.

In the trunk, is the "manual unlocking feature" the procedure of disconnecting the battery?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
The trunk has a manual disconnect in the event of a power failure. Turning the key all the way to the left as far as possible will pop the trunk open. This will allow you to disconnect the battery and see if resetting the computer will help.

Have you tried the key in the passenger side door?

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE