Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > BMW General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

BMW General Discussion Sponsored by: AutohausAZ.com
Talk about BMWs in general. Post official news, Bangle flames, or anything else related to BMW.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
doughboyea

Name: doughboyea
Title: Upgraded Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2007 Acura TSX
How do I approach the dealer about this...

Ok gents,
I've got another dilema for you to help me with.

Last year, in winter, my E46 3 series began to act oddly. The windows would dip down 1/4" when I opened the doors and some other misc things would occure. Bringing it to Hunterdon BMW, they said that they'll reinstall the software for the computer and that should fix the problem.

This is my post from another forum, this was the result of the dealer's Insection II work and the fixing of the error:
Quote:
Just picked her up.
Final Recipt

$97/hour

The bushings (were for both left and right)
Parts: $155.32
Labor: $291.00
Total: $446.32

Belts
Parts: $40.95 and $28.92
Labor: $135.80
Total: $205.67

Factory Alarm Installation And Damn its loud!
Parts: $300.00
Labor: $135.80
Total: $435.80

Inspection II
Service: $320.10
Parts/Supplies
Oil Filter: $8.60
Oil 5W30 Synthetic: 7 quarts @ $4 = $28.00
Window Wash Fluid: $2.35
Fuel Add?: $2.10
Micro Filter: $40.70
Air Filter: $23.68
Inspection II Total: $425.53

Reprograming of DME and EGS Modules: $0

Total Parts: $630.62
Total Labor: $882.70
Tax: $90.80

In the end: $1604.12
If only I had the place and tools to do it myself, could've saved $1000
Since then, I haven't had a problem. Now, since the temperatures have gone below 30degF, the alarm doesn't arm, the windows are doing thier dance again, and the engine is making a whinning voice when starting out.

Now, I just don't think that I have to pay for a service that was suppose to be fixed a year ago.

I'm due for an oil change, so how do I go about convincing the dealer to fix the problem, the right way, without me having to dish out a penny for it?

Thanks,

Dough

PS, This just reminds me of the VW B.S. "switch" that most VW's have that controls a service light on the dash. Every X,000 miles the light comes on making the customer go to the dealer to "fix" the error, where the tech just moves the switch over as the customer dishes out $X amount.

Past rides:
1999 BMW 328i E46 Dinan Stg. 1
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Antiburn

Name: Antiburn
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 193 / 340
Your Ride: 92 525, 88 325 hardtop'ed vert and 83 320iS
Well if owing a BMW is to expensive for you to get fixed why do you own one? They arnt called "the ultimate driveing machine" for no reason.
If you want them to fix your problem w/o you paying for it just make a big stink about how "they were fixed once before, why are they doing it again," I paid good money last time and they are still doing the same thing" Usually dealers will just go ahead and fix them for free just to keep you satasifed. Im sure all they need to do is replaced a window motor or a control switch, the alarm sounds like they installed it wrong or a connection came loose, just make another big stink about that and it should be fixed for free. And the whinning noise you hear is the belt tensioner, they wear out all the time and make that distinctive whinning noise in the morning.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Pawel

Name: Pawel
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
Well if owing a BMW is to expensive for you to get fixed why do you own one? They arnt called "The Unreliable Driveing Machine" for no reason.
If you want them to fix your problem w/o you paying for it just make a big stink about how "they were fixed once before, why are they doing it again," I paid good money last time and they are still doing the same thing" Usually dealers will just go ahead and fix them for free just to keep you satasifed. Im sure all they need to do is replaced a window motor or a control switch, the alarm sounds like they installed it wrong or a connection came loose, just make another big stink about that and it should be fixed for free. And the whinning noise you hear is the belt tensioner, they wear out all the time and make that distinctive whinning noise in the morning.
There you go buddy I fixed that for you
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but replies like yours don't help anyone. Meaning coming out with a statement like if you can't afford to fork out money then you shouldn't be driving it. To me it looks like some computer glitch, dealer should def. check this thing out and if he points out that it was previously serviced by them they should definetly take car of him. Don't own a BMW so don't really know what his problem might be. (IS300 Driver)
Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Well if owing a BMW is to expensive for you to get fixed why do you own one? They arnt called "the ultimate driveing machine" for no reason.
With all due respect, that's a real dick thing to say. It's got nothing to do with the money, it's to do with the fact of why should I have to continually deal with something that should've been fixed the first time? I've paid out alot of money on repairs already, and I've only owned this car for 18 months. I don't want to continually pay for the same problem over and over again.

Quote:
If you want them to fix your problem w/o you paying for it just make a big stink about how "they were fixed once before, why are they doing it again," I paid good money last time and they are still doing the same thing" Usually dealers will just go ahead and fix them for free just to keep you satasifed.
Hmm, right, but I don't want to get on thier bad side. I mean, its not like them loosing me as a customer will hurt thier buisness, so why would they really care if I'm out the door bitchin?

Quote:
Im sure all they need to do is replaced a window motor or a control switch, the alarm sounds like they installed it wrong or a connection came loose, just make another big stink about that and it should be fixed for free.
The window problem stems from an issue that goes back to before I owned the car. According to the techs meeting with the Rep, the original computer was swapped out for a convertable's computer. The action of the windows is from the car thinking it was a convertable, as only the front two windows do the dip. It's a software comflict, not hardware. At least, that's my understanding. And the alarm is linked to this computer somehow, hence my reasoning to assume it's all from the same issue.

Quote:
And the whinning noise you hear is the belt tensioner, they wear out all the time and make that distinctive whinning noise in the morning.
Ok, thanks for that, I'll look into that one.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
here, where i live, there are obviously dealers of all makes.. and there are two or three really large, large chains of dealers, and to tell you the truth, the service people that are coolest that ive dealt with so far are at BMW, there are by far the best.. like for instance when something goes wrong with the car(that i am fixing at home) i can call them up and tell them the problem, and they can tell me what went wrong and which part to order, im sure other people would be retards and say bring it here and then we'll talk from there

i dont know about the place you live, but just approach them normally and straight forward, b/c there really isnt any other way, is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
i hear what ur saying xsperf, just, I'm not good with confrontation, so when they tell me, to bad, pay up, I don't know how to confront that. Bitch and moan? Threaten to contact the better buisness buro... or just walk out.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 12-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
well, ask them to atleast give you a discount, and if they say no, i never have the guts to do this, but talk to the manager, and the truth is, if you persists, it works, just takes some time

Quote:
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
BMW has a couple of aves to approach "problems". #1) If it's a problem the dealer addressed and it comes back - they'll usually fix it no charge (your software issue & alarm). The "whinning" noise could be the tensioner, belts, alt, ac etc... They'll probably chalk that up to wear since it's been a year hearing from you about it. I highly doubt they'll give that away.

But if you EVER have an issue with BMW service ANYWHERE(in US) call BMW NA (Atlanta office) and ask to speak to customer relations. In a cool calm voice tell them your concerns & issue. They WILL have a Area Rep meet you at the dealer to address your probs. If that doesn't satisfy you, you'll follow up with BMW via a "CSR" (you'll get a call from them following up) and you tell them problem still exists - then a REP from Atlanta will meet with you.

I know because I use to be an area rep for them for North/Central Florida
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Thank you for the reassurance. That is really good to know c1atopn.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D
Old 12-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
I don't see much of a confrontation. If anything I'd say they'll feel bad that this problem still exists. An added plus is that you have an E46, which they might take better interest in fixing, unlike an older E36. If not I'll drive down and back you up, buddy
Old 12-07-2005, 07:39 AM   #11
c1apton

BMW customer service -> 1.800.831.1117 Call them ONLY after you talk w/dealer. Because they'll compare your issue to the dealers' version. In most cases the dealer will try to solve your issue without involving BMW NA. (complaints are a "strike" against their CSI -customer service index, which gets the dealers "percs" from BMW) And another note - vehicle year, model is not a determining factor - unless it's been abused, neglected or questionable service (auction cars, insurance claims history) As a matter a fact & note to all UB members. You can roll into any BMW dealer and have them run your VIN to see if there are any "open campaigns". These are recalls, updates, etc that they don't always attempt to contact customers on. They expect to catch these little updates on service stops. You'ld be surprised as to how many things they update and freebies you might be eligible for.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
Seeing that the problem you paid to fix is still there, dont the dealerships warranty their work for a while? Has it been over a year since you got those repairs done or anything?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Quote:

I know because I use to be an area rep for them for North/Central Florida
One of the coolest jobs ever dude. IMO

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
c1apton

It was ok, but it had it's moments. Everybody that is glad to see you is usually pissed off about something. It takes alot to bring them back to "happy". Some were just beyond help IE: "lady wants her car towed in because AC is blowing cold" Most were just mis-understandings between dealer vs customer & the most dreaded "extended warranties"

Lady wanted her tires covered under extended warranty after the tech told her "lady, those tires are so bad, I can see the air in them" She made an issue & I had to sit down w/her and read with her what her extended warranty covered. Car had like 60+k on original tires. (We ended up giving her "take offs" from a demo) and she was happy.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
doughboyea

Click here to set it up.
Thanks All, I honestly appreciate the wisdom you've bistowed upon me. I'm sure this thread will help out others in the future too. I've made an appointment for Wed (Dec. 14th), of course I'll post whatever happens.

I've only asked because I tried to be friendly (not like a perv) with the staff at the service department and I just got the cold shoulder from both male AND female employees. I've yet to come to them with a bad service issue and am hoping that this won't go down the wrong way.

Again, thanks.

Dough

Past rides:
1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6
1980 Mercedes 240D