Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
4 Downloaded Movies - $600,000 fine

Wow, look how lame this is.
http://www.betanews.com/article/MPAA...000/1130957894

Quote:
The Motion Picture Association of America sued a Wisconsin grandfather on Tuesday for allegedly downloading several movies to his home computer. However, there's one small problem with the case: the man doesn't like to watch movies, nor does he have any intention of downloading them. Fred Lawrence, 67, of Racine says that his 12-year-old grandson apparently downloaded four movies from the P2P file service iMesh in December 2004. The family actually owns three of the four movies, and Lawrence says his grandson had no intention of breaking, nor knowledge of copyright laws.

In April, the MPAA attempted to force Lawrence into paying a $4,000 settlement to avoid copyright infringement charges, which he refused. The group subsequently filed a lawsuit seeking up to $600,000 in damages for the illegal downloads.

Lawrence says that his grandson made an innocent mistake, and he would not personally download movie files. "First of all, like I say, I guess I'd have to plead being naive about the whole thing," he told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

But the MPAA apparently does not care whether or not the public agrees with the organization's tactics in combating piracy, and is not asking for "anyone's sympathy," the paper reported.

If Lawrence is successful in fighting the lawsuit, the MPAA could legally turn around and sue the child. However, doing so opens up other potential issues, as it is much harder to sue a minor than an adult, especially for damages the MPAA is claiming.

Some interest groups suggest that the only way around such a case would be for Lawrence's grandson to declare bankruptcy, as in most cases children have no income.

First of all, they sued the grandfather, which goes against all common sense. Secondly the fine of $600,000 for downloading four movies seems a bit extreme to me. heh

Following up this case, the MPAA lowered the fine to $8,000 and the grandfather said he didn't have that much money, so they said he could pay it over 18 months, to which he still refused. This is still going on.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
This is such a classic example of extreme idiocy
Old 11-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
bmwcrazy

Name: bmwcrazy
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Thats completely screwed up.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
despite all of these scare tactics and law suits, you can not avoid peer-to-peer downloading.

total bullshit. I would disagree to pay any such fines as well. And if they sue the kid they are going to totally fuck up his credit when he isn't even legally able to get a job yet.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
drz

Name: drz
Title: local dumbass
Rate My Car: 34 / 340
Your Ride: E36 2.8i
^^ It wouldn't really mess up his credit if he files for bankruptcy now. After 7 years, he could reinitiate his credit record, at age 19. I think the bankruptcy system is messed up, but in this case, it could help out the kid.

Bottom line is, the kid stole intellectual property and got caught. Their best option would have been to go for thr settlement. Downloading illegal copies of copyrighted material is like speeding: its fun, very likely you can get away with it, but there is a price to pay if you get caught because it is a crime.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
i thought they usually go after organizations, or people that have downloaded like 2 million movies.. but wow thats pretty lame, for 4 movies, anyone have the titles? haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
LandoAWD

Name: LandoAWD
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
He owned 3. Shouldn't the fine be solely based on the one he didn't own? You ARE allowed to make backups of your own property...

"Like short sleeves, I bear arms"
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
dude thats so messed up. DinanM6 u better watch out!! if they got the kid for downloading 2, im pretty sure ull get busted for the 30+ u have lol

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 11-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
dinanM6

Name: dinanM6
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000
dude thats so messed up. DinanM6 u better watch out!! if they got the kid for downloading 2, im pretty sure ull get busted for the 30+ u have lol
heh probably not cause around here they dont care to much and if you think I have a lot of movies you should see my sister and her boyfriend I mean the lived for about 3 years with a blockbuster right across the street so you can imagine how many movies they "bought" in that time.

Member of the "I have no money" club
Founding Member of the "I need a job" club
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
For starters the Bankruptcy law is for 10 years befor eyou get a clean slate. I wish the article included mroe information as to why the granparent was beign sued. I assume there were no parents present and the computer belogned to the grandparent> And if parents were present and the movies were downloaded to the grandparents computer then the grandparents are responsible for what shows up on their computer and what software they have. Lando is correct, they should be only charged for downloading one movie illegally. I believe the 600,000 lawsuit is just a figure in order to scare others from downloading moies. 600k is nothign to the movie industry other than to scare others frm downlaoding. Good thing I dont have any p2p software or download anythign illegally.

I bet this case will be settled outside of court and nto int he public eye for less than 5k.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #11
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
I would probably just have paid the 4k dollar settlement and been done with it. I wouldn't want any such thing on my record

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"