Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Hatori Honzai

Name: Hatori Honzai
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 328iC
E36 Driver's window problems; airbag light

Doing minor repairs on my recently purchased 1998 328iC with 158000 miles. (Previous owner bought it at auction after a minor crash to passenger door. He replaced the outer door panel, trim, air bag, and the rag top.)
1. The driver's power window:
  • Sometimes makes popping noise when rolling up or down.
  • Most of the time will not roll all the way up when using the rocker switch that controls all the windows. It will begin to roll up and then reverse itself while the other windows close. Releasing the master rocker switch and pressing it again will close the driver's window. This happens if the convertible top is already in the open or closed position.
  • Will not roll all the way up when closing the convertible top. It will stop about halfway or reverse itself.
  • When opening the convertible top, all the windows will appropriately lower themselves during this process, but the driver's window is about an inch lower than the others. All the windows appropriately raise to their full height if the convertible switch remains engaged.
  • After this point, I can lower all the windows with the main rocker switch, but if I raise them again, the driver's window will start to raise and then either stop halfway up or reverse itself to the completely open position. Releasing and pressing the main switch allows the driver's window to close.
2. The airbag indicator light stays on after the engine is started and running.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Its possible the tracks for the window are out of alignment. One other thing i can suggest, is when the parts in the door were replaced did they teach the car to learn the door features again? Sometimes the computer needs to relearn it.

Check the airbag connectors as they may be loose.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Hatori Honzai

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
Its possible the tracks for the window are out of alignment. One other thing i can suggest, is when the parts in the door were replaced did they teach the car to learn the door features again? Sometimes the computer needs to relearn it.

Check the airbag connectors as they may be loose.
TFR. I will check the window tracks. For the airbag, something tells me they did not follow procedures. A couple of months back I read something about the airbag reset steps.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
You may have to bite the bullet and have the airbag light reset with a reset tool (different from the oil service/inspection one). I think a prolonged interruption in the electrical supply is interpreted as a fault and the light comes on. At least that was what I experienced a couple of years ago.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Hatori Honzai

Click here to set it up.
Reset tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050rpm View Post
You may have to bite the bullet and have the airbag light reset with a reset tool (different from the oil service/inspection one). I think a prolonged interruption in the electrical supply is interpreted as a fault and the light comes on. At least that was what I experienced a couple of years ago.
It figures that my model has a different tool for that. I think I'll contact local Bimmer clubs and see if anyone has a reset tool. Was your issue due to a long period of time before installing a new airbag or from having the battery cables attached while changing the airbag?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
3050rpm

Name: 3050rpm
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
No, not from any work being done on the airbag (by the way, I think it's advised to disconnect the battery if doing anything with the airbag), I was having the rocker panels replaced and some other work done on the car, and the battery was disconnected for something like a week or so. The car started up just fine after that, but for whatever reason the airbag light came on and stayed on for longer than the few seconds of the test cycle. It would eventually go out, but I couldn't get an inspection sticker like that. Took the car to my service guy who has the proper reset tool and that was that, things returned to normal and have been that way since.