Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
mechajames

Name: mechajames
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 E36 M3
Confused and could do with some assistance.

I have a 95 E36 M3 3.0. Just recently put it back on the road after 5 years in a garage. during the process of MOT it started to over heat. by the time i got home it was almost on the red.

i have taken out the T/stat and tested it and it appears to be working correctly. the the fan and clutch appear to be working properly and i am at a lose as to what it can be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Manolito

Name: Manolito
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 338 / 340
Your Ride: (2) '97 328s; '04 330; '04 325iT
If it starts overheating in the first drive after bleeding the system, and this is the original water pump (unlikely on a '95), then I suspect that the plastic vanes have crumbled off the water pump impeller.

If it starts overheating after a few driving cycles, then I suspect that the overflow tank has crumbled inside so it is sucking air into the system each time it cools. This cooling system really does not like air bubbles. Tiny leaks in other places can also suck air in without creating a massive water leak.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
mechajames

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
If it starts overheating in the first drive after bleeding the system, and this is the original water pump (unlikely on a '95), then I suspect that the plastic vanes have crumbled off the water pump impeller.

If it starts overheating after a few driving cycles, then I suspect that the overflow tank has crumbled inside so it is sucking air into the system each time it cools. This cooling system really does not like air bubbles. Tiny leaks in other places can also suck air in without creating a massive water leak.
Thanks i have given up with my own efforts and put it into the garage for repair. see what they come up with. All hoses have been replaced and i was thinking along the same lines.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
I would try bleeding it yourselve before giving it to a mechanic. Pelican Parts has an excellent article on it and other cooling system issues.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
mechajames

Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
I would try bleeding it yourselve before giving it to a mechanic. Pelican Parts has an excellent article on it and other cooling system issues.
Thanks I have been told it would take 4 days before they could look at it so I am going to replace the water pump as a matter of course while I am bleeding the system! Does anyone have a good pic of the engine drain plug? I undid the plug I thought it was but nothing came out at all! Unless I got the right one and there is no water in the block at all!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Did you check the Bentley Manual or the TIS?

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE