Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Lighting
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Lighting
BAVTOYS.COM- To see and be SEEN
Sponsored by: BavToys.com
Discussion of headlights, fog lights, blinkers, and any other car lighting.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Moisture in headlights

Well since there isnt a thread here yet id start it start it off (and try to solve a problem at the same time)

Well i have the halo one piece headlights, and they keep getting moisture in em every time i wash the car. I had the guy who installed em seal them but i dont think he did the best job cause some how moisture keeps getting in. Could it be the little weather stripping thing right by were the corner lights are? I drive with my headlights on to get the moisture out but i wanna find a way to keep the moisture out for good. Ive taken a look at the lights and to me it seems like they were sealed properly. But i dunno, anyone have any input?

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 03-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
habbie

Name: habbie
Title: Forum Sponsor
Rate My Car: 1 / 340
Your Ride: Supercharged 97 M3/04 M3 vert/07 ESCALADE/04 Harley VRSC/
what type/make of headlight, year and model car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000
Well since there isnt a thread here yet id start it start it off (and try to solve a problem at the same time)

Well i have the halo one piece headlights, and they keep getting moisture in em every time i wash the car. I had the guy who installed em seal them but i dont think he did the best job cause some how moisture keeps getting in. Could it be the little weather stripping thing right by were the corner lights are? I drive with my headlights on to get the moisture out but i wanna find a way to keep the moisture out for good. Ive taken a look at the lights and to me it seems like they were sealed properly. But i dunno, anyone have any input?

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
Old 03-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
O/T I like this new forum! Welcome!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Numark318i

Name: Numark318i
Title: has an empty wallet
Location: The Only place in the world where people say "Hella"
Rate My Car: 125 / 340
Your Ride: ^^
i got the same problem. ALthough my lights arent bavtoys and i probally could have gotten better quality lights.
whats a solution to this?
I got Euro Elipsoid lights from Depo lighting i believe.

The aural sensations of 1st gear WOT
**CGM **(Certified Garage Mechanic)
Old 03-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
habbie

you over torqued your mounting bolts, you only need to hand torque them, by over torquing them you are actualy seperating the glass from the plastic housing causing a void and sucking in moisture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i
i got the same problem. ALthough my lights arent Unmitza and i probally could have gotten better quality lights.
whats a solution to this?
I got Euro Elipsoid lights from Depo lighting i believe.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//
Old 03-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
DEATH2000

^^ Dammit, cause i didnt install them. My body shop did when they put on my bumper. If this is whats happened to my lights are they like perma f*cked or what? I dont really wanna complain to my body sop guy cause hes really nice and does a great job, but if his guys screwed up i would like to hold em responsible

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
habbie

i cant answer that unless i know which headlights we are talking about.
in your case i think it has more to do with the poor quality then install, you did say you had the one piece fleabay lights, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000
^^ Dammit, cause i didnt install them. My body shop did when they put on my bumper. If this is whats happened to my lights are they like perma f*cked or what? I dont really wanna complain to my body sop guy cause hes really nice and does a great job, but if his guys screwed up i would like to hold em responsible

Old 03-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
Ouri, he doesn't have ZKW's or Depo's, he has the one piece style headlights with the corner lights built into them

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
habbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz
Ouri, he doesn't have ZKW's or Depo's, he has the one piece style headlights with the corner lights built into them
yeah, i pointed that out that his problem was likely due to poor quality rather then improper install.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
BMWLotAttendant

Name: BMWLotAttendant
Title: I Drive EVERYTHING
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1997 Camry CE
I've seen this before on e46s and e39s.

I've tried driving around town for 45 minutes with the brights on....that didn't work.

Had to un-install them and let them air dry/wipe them down on the inside until the condensation is all gone.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #11
DEATH2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbie@umnitza-east
yeah, i pointed that out that his problem was likely due to poor quality rather then improper install.
Well i rather have poor quality then have to blame my body shop for something. Personally i like the one piece lights more. I dont mind the moisture, i just dont want it there for Bimmerfest.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

Old 03-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #12
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Actually that may be my problem. I remember tightening those bolts down pretty hard on the side I'm having moisture build-up, because I barely squeezed my Dinan CAI behind it. Hum..

Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
JayDee

Name: JayDee
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E36 323i Tourer 1999
Hello,

I had the same problem with moisture in the Headlights.
Got two small bags of Silica Gel, the stuff that comes in the box when you buy something New.
Place one in each of the snap on covers that cover the Bulbs, snapped the covers back on.
NO more moisture !!!!.

IF it comes back, I will take the Silica bags out and dry them, then pop them back in !!.
Worked a treat, dead easy to do too.

JayDee,
www.john-dowd.co.uk

Last edited by JayDee; 03-12-2010 at 03:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #14
joshtimber81

Name: joshtimber81
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: BMW E36
Thanks for the instructions. I was also looking for the same thing.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
JayDee

Name: JayDee
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: E36 323i Tourer 1999
Hello,

One Headlight has misted up slighty again, so the Silica filled bag was removed and dried, then placed back into the rear of the light.
The mist has now almost gone !.

There seems to be enough airways through the sides of the lenses to allow the moisture to escape into the Silica.
Will keep you all posted how it all goes !.

JayDee.
www.john-dowd.co.uk.