Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
inkjetter

Name: inkjetter
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1996 E36 323i
'95 323i off road for 4 years, now want to bring back to life

Hi all,

Like I said, '95 E36 323i been unregistered for 4 years. Initially I used to start it monthly, but has not been started/running for about 2 years now

1. When I used to start it, I noticed petrol on ground below the passengers door (4 door model)

2. Last time I went to start it, it would not start at all (2 years ago)

So now I decide to bring the baby back to life (I am hoping).

First, I check where the petrol was coming from (below the passengers door). I see that the petrol line from the tank joins to another line that goes up into the engine compartment. The car body above this cable clamp join is pretty clean (indicating petrol probably spraying up onto it). So I guess engine not starting because lack of fuel? Last time I cranked the engine I noticed NO petrol on the ground at all.

My main concern is: since engine has not been running for this period of time, how should I go about starting her back up. I mean, should I just check fluid levels and then start cranking it? Is there a better procedure I should follow?

Any advice gratefully accepted
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
When I got my truck it had been sitting for almost 3 years without being started. The battery was dead so replaced it, put in new gas and a fuel stabilizer and it started up and ran fine. Gasoline breaks down over time and can clog flies lines and injectors.

My 98 E36 has been siting ilde my garage for 2 years currently. I'm currently in the work of fixing a few things, including the hood release cable, which is what caused me to stop driving it for a while. Prior to starting it back up I'm replacing all the coolant, changing the oil, changing the soark plugs and checking the brake fluid. One thing I noticed, ad ts dependent on where you live, but I had a ton of surface rust on my brake rotors. I have to take them to get maimed to get the rust of so make sure you check yours too.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
inkjetter

Name: inkjetter
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1996 E36 323i
Thanks for the feedback/ideas
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
Your welcome. I have a ton of pictures I'll be posting up at some point. I'm just waiting on warranty work on a Koni shock that started leaking.

If you have any questions let us know.

VIEW MY E36 BLOG HERE

New to United Bimmer? Check out our Introductions and Greetings Section and introduce yourself today!

E36 Bentley Manual PDF download avilable HERE