Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Site Topics > Site Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Site Feedback Post your questions, comments, or suggestions here.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Cool United Bimmer - Interesting Article Idea!

I just was taking a shower and had a badass idea (strange times when things come to you, huh?).

A lot of the lounge threads are cool/interesting/informative/etc, and occasionally some threads in other forums are as well... what do you think about this idea:
On the New Thread page, below in all the options, we could add another medium-sized textbox (maybe 3 lines high) and a checkbox for "Newsworthy Article". When you create a thread, you can type a sentence or two as a summery of it there and check the checkbox, and when it's created, it'll also show up on the homepage of the site. The articles will be much smaller on the homepage than they are now, maybe an inch tall per article max. Then below each article it'll have "Read 58 Comments on this article" linking to the thread, where 58 is the number of replies, and "Comment on this Article", where it'll take you to the New Reply page of that thread. This will connect the rest of UB to the forums a lot tighter, and also update the homepage constantly. For example, if NASA announces they're inventing a spacecar, someone can create that thread, and also choose to have a summery posted on the homepage (where the visitor can click on to read more about it). This will also bring more visitors into the forums, because if a single article catches their eye and they want to read more, voila, they're in the forums. Not just general interesting things, but also car related threads could be posted on the homepage, like BMW announcing to join forces with Kraft to create BMW shaped mac-and-cheese. The moderators would obviously have the ability to override and moderate what appears on the homepage.

I know this is a kind of jumbled idea, as I just kind of threw it out there, but it's kind of cool never-the-less. Maybe we could also have little icons like fark for what kind of article it is: Crazy (like the thread about the snake eating the live alligator), Business (like google recently teaming up with nasa), BMW (new article about the M6), United Bimmer (moved to new server or launched new feature), etc. This would also encourage members to scout out and post interesting threads, as they also get it to appear on the homepage.... thus furthering activity and member involvement in the community.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
voca

Name: voca
Title: Senior Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
I think it'd be abused. maybe a mod only feature or something though.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
I love it.

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Chris

Name: Chris
Title: Visiting Mod
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: Whatever I can get my hands on
i agree with the potential for abuse.

apparently all of harry's ideas cme from coed showers.....

Nuke (n): a large firework that makes pretty lights and large lakes out of annoying countries.
You have three choices, stand behind our troops, grab a gun and toe the line with our troops, or stand in front of them, they can use the extra armor.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Sounds awesome!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
komodo

Hum, the abuse thing is a good point. Maybe when the user choses to add it to the homepage, have it go to a list that the mods can access. We can scroll down the list of the to-be-added-articles and click "Accept for Posting" or "Reject" by each one.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
voca

Name: voca
Title: Senior Member
Click here to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
Hum, the abuse thing is a good point. Maybe when the user choses to add it to the homepage, have it go to a list that the mods can access. We can scroll down the list of the to-be-added-articles and click "Accept for Posting" or "Reject" by each one.
that's a good way to solve any type of abuse. but with a huge userbase and articles being submitted every few minutes it's a potentially huge job--although I guess all it takes is a quick skim over and click accept or reject accordingly. for this size userbase that'd work quite nicely, for sure.

I like the idea. it doesn't sounds like too much scripting, just a bit of php and modifying the post page.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by voca
that's a good way to solve any type of abuse. but with a huge userbase and articles being submitted every few minutes it's a potentially huge job--although I guess all it takes is a quick skim over and click accept or reject accordingly. for this size userbase that'd work quite nicely, for sure.

I like the idea. it doesn't sounds like too much scripting, just a bit of php and modifying the post page.
Remember not very many articles would be submitted to the homepage... right now we might have one or two a day. And also remember we have 4 people who would be going through the list at all different times throughout the day.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
that or what if you limited who could post stuff by a post number, once you get to a certain point you have the ability to post stuff as you would then be a more trusted person. I know this goes against the everyone being treated the same ideal but its just a thought
Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
komodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_318is
that or what if you limited who could post stuff by a post number, once you get to a certain point you have the ability to post stuff as you would then be a more trusted person. I know this goes against the everyone being treated the same ideal but its just a thought
Heh, but I expect some of the least postworthy articles would be submitted by some of the members with the highest post counts.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
i dont know about abuse, i think we are, for the most part, a non-retarded community, and someone who makes a thread like "OMG IM SO BORED VENT HERE(haha im kidding catalyst)" he can make it if he wants, but we can trust him enough that he wont put it on the home page of the website

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Rooz

Name: Rooz
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 5 / 340
Your Ride: 2003 M5
it's got some potential but would get abused as time goes by....

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS

I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
Dudesky

Name: Dudesky
Title: Run Far
Rate My Car: 106 / 340
Your Ride: E39 530iA
I don't think contributors should submit them; the mods should just pick out stuff they think is noteworthy.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #14
komodo

For the past 3-4 replies, read my post #10 about moderated submissions. That would eliminate any abuse, and would not be very time consuming at all.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #15
RealBmw 02

Name: RealBmw 02
Title: GRIP > DRIFT
Rate My Car: 76 / 340
I think that as long as there is a way for the mods to patrol, then it would be a good idea. Some people had some good ideas to keep things from getting out of hand, and as long as one good system could be finalized I think all would be well.

1970 BMW 2002
Driven by skill, not money
"Real BMW's have round tail lights"