Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > E36
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

E36 General discussion and technical help for (E36) 1992-1999 3 series cars. 318, 323, 325, 328.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
zeaq328i

Name: zeaq328i
Title: BMW 328i
Rate My Car: 314 / 340
Your Ride: BMW 328i and Dad's S320*NowLondon underground Tube*
Smile Fuel pump

Fuel pump-

Well as you all know I’ve have made a topic “help” regarding the low oil level lights that is on for 5 seconds after starting. Some of you immediately said it was low oil level. I’ve check it, its “fine” and the guy at the workshop said it’s a faulty sensor.

What frightened me the most; you guys said it could be the “fuel pump”. From what I understand, Fuel pump is to supply oil to the engine. Like my friend said, if you have a faulty fuel pump, you can feel a weak acceleration as no fuel going to the engine.

Well if it’s really the fuel pump, what are the main symptoms? Right now my BMW is accelerating fine. I assume it’s just a faulty sensor. If I were to change the fuel pump, how long it takes to fix those? One day? This is my very busy month for me.
But I ‘m planning of bring it next February for timing belt change, AC tension change and even if possible the “Fuel pump”(Only change it if you guys said it’s faulty).
Old 10-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
E36Bimmer

Name: E36Bimmer
Title: Member
Rate My Car: 142 / 340
Im pretty sure the light is supposed to illuminate every start-up and then dissappear after a few seconds. Im not convinced you even have a problem. And the "fuel pump" has nothing to do with your oil.. if you checked the level of the motor oil and it is fine then your good to go. Also our cars have timing chains- not belts and they rarely need replacement..
Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
^^^
i agree that I don't think there is any problem, my light stays on for a second or two and then goes out like you described.

if i remember correctly your car has very low mileage, your chances of a bad pump are slim. However, if I remember correctly it is a bitch to replace yourself. I honestly wouldn't look at it as being a possible problem.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
zeaq328i

My bad then, I thought our cars have the belts. Thanks for the advice. Now I felt very relieve that you all said it’s ok. My car has 20 000Miles plus on it.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
Click here to set it up.
that is probably the lowest mileage of any e36 on these boards, heh. I envy you, I can only imagine the condition that thing is in.

What I would do if I were you would be to go to: http://www.logun.org/inspc.htm and look at all of the things on the list that BMW inspects with its inspections. Most people don't take their car in for an inspection till about 50k miles. But it can give you an idea of what they look at. Hope this helps

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 10-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #6
daki77

Name: daki77
Title: United Newb
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: '93. e36 325i (EURO)
@Zeaq, I'll try to help as much as I can, as I read your "help" thread...
In that thread you said "all lights go off except THAT ("low on oil") indicator...but somehow I missed the "it stays on for 5 seconds" part...so, if that's the case - indicator accually goes off after 5 seconds, you are 99% ok, because that's the case in 99% percent of the cars, of any make or brand! It's kinda normal that "low on oil" (as it is also "low on oil pressure") indicator goes off somewhat later than other "red indicators"!
As for the fuel pump...in that thread the guy who answered you last was reffering to oil pump and not the fuel pump, as these are two totally different things...so just to make it clearer to guys who may help you here much more than I can, and for some reason they didn't read your other thread!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
zeaq328i

Yup, the condition of the car is like new. I bought it at 7000miles. The interior is new except for some the driver’s seat. There’s a bit tear on it. Thanks for the useful website.

Now I’m confused here. What’s the difference between fuel pump and oil pump? I thought “fuel” and “oil” are the same meanings?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
E36Bimmer

Name: E36Bimmer
Rate My Car: 142 / 340
no man.. fuel is petrol, gasoline or whatever you fill your car up with every week or so at the re-filling station. Oil is the thick golden brownish color liquid that you change out a few times a year. Basically you need to pop our hood to fill oil. Each has a seperate pump that circulates the liquids..
Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 PM   #9
94bmw325i

Name: 94bmw325i
Title: Hellrot325
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 94 bmw 325i, 97 vw golf
fuel filter is in the back of your car.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Orefus

Name: Orefus
Click here to set it up.
the system is 100% fine. When you turn your car off the oil goes into the oil pan, and it sits there. When you turn your car on is when the oil gets into the engine( when you turn your car on is when you do most damage to the engine, that is also why cop cars arent turned off during the day) and as it keeps going, the oil levels return to normal. Go home and think about how lucky u are.... im looking for a 96-98 328 under 8k, u have no idea how lucky u are.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
c1apton

Name: c1apton
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 134 / 340
Your Ride: 93 E34
Your oil pressure sensor is probably gummed up. They do that occassionally. It's a matter of pulling oil pressure switch spraying or soaking in carb cleaner, drying it off and putting it back in. No big deal. For the most part you know the sensor is working.
As far as being connected to the fuel pump - YES it is. There's a safety feature built in (because the majority of our cars have an electric fuel pump in the gas tank) it's to prevent the fuel pump from pumping fuel if you roll or crash the car. If you were to crash or roll and the engine quits, the drop in oil pressure shuts the fuel pump off - so your hot engine (and yourself) doesn't get a bath in gas or worse a fire.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
wild321

Name: wild321
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1998 525tds
I just had a problem turned out tobe the fuel PUMP in the fuel tank it had been blocked by dirty fuel & no warning lights were involved just started pulling air which i could see in the fuel filter fuel line under the bonet which then heads in to the main fuel pump attached to the engine. the back seats had to come out to access the fuel tankcost pump110 & 60 labour. I hope this helps you oh and by the way Im new on this site so hello all and best wishes
Old 04-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #13
chris325i

Name: chris325i
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1995 325i
yo im havin the same problem, is the oil pressure switch actually on the fuel pump or is it in the engine, cause id like to get that fixed soon. holla