Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer-General BMW Topics > Forced Induction
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Forced Induction Sponsored by: SmartAutoWarranty.com
Discuss Forced Induction on BMWs with SmartAutoWarranty.com (turbos and superchargers).

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Superchargers

Quick question... what kind of gains can you expect out of a supercharger for my car? Turbos claim they'd put me around 300...

And s/c'ers are better for the car and your engine will last longer, right? Do you need to reinforce any internals, or is it just popping it on and you're done?

What about tuning... you always hear about turbo tuning, but I don't think I've ever heard of tuning for an s/c....

Thanks.

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
///M Power

Name: ///M Power
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 26 / 340
Your Ride: 95 m3 turbo
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Gains all depends on the amount of boost. Boost high enough and you will absolutely need to reinforce the internals. A supercharger does nto necessarily mean you engine will last longer at all, but rather actually puts MORE stress on your engine. Just look at how a supercharger works and what it works onversus what a turbo works on and you will understand.

Although, a supercharger will be a single unit instead of the plethora of pieces involved in a turbocharger. The mroe pieces you have the harder it may be to locate a problem. A single S/C unit is easier to maintain for that specific reason.

Eric BMW - Variable Vane Turbocharged
Unread 04-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
dwrx04

Name: dwrx04
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: your mama
Send a message via AIM to dwrx04
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Gains all depends on the amount of boost. Boost high enough and you will absolutely need to reinforce the internals. A supercharger does nto necessarily mean you engine will last longer at all, but rather actually puts MORE stress on your engine. Just look at how a supercharger works and what it works onversus what a turbo works on and you will understand.

Although, a supercharger will be a single unit instead of the plethora of pieces involved in a turbocharger. The mroe pieces you have the harder it may be to locate a problem. A single S/C unit is easier to maintain for that specific reason.
Superchargers are known for there reliability. While your logic is correct, a supercharger puts no more load on your car then an ac pump. There is an external pulley that spins a step up gear inside the sc which acts as a tranfer case and spins the impeller at higher rpms and substantially faster than the external pulley.

As to komodo's question, superchargers normally boost between 6-9psi over atmospheric pressure(at sea level is about 14.7) The only tuning you will need in most cases is a boost timing retard chip that retards the engine's ignition timing under certain conditions to prevent detonation. With some kits, detonation is not a concern, in which case the kit will not include. A concern some people have when using a supercharger is that they think it will increase the engine's compression to the point that it will cause detonation that is the purpose of the chip. The only other thing you have to watch is you A/F ratio. You will prolly make around 300hp to the crank which is the best bang for your buck IMO.

I AM THE VANILLA GORILLA
member of the..."The bears can smell the menstration...................sercret society for really hung men."
I AM HETEROSENSATIONAL!!!!!!!!!1!!!eleven!!!!11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT View Post
*sniff sniff*

DDm smells like a Jim Powell venture to me. No thanks. I'd be afraid of the mucus trail the call would leave all over my phone. Although in all reality you would probably be fine ordering from them, I wouldn't patronize the place if someone knocked on the door and paid me to run their product
Unread 04-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Addicted?

Name: Addicted?
Title: 350z
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2003 350z Track Edition
Send a message via MSN to Addicted? Send a message via Yahoo to Addicted?
with a supercharger you dont always need to do some interals... they cant hurt but i have heard not always neccassary. AA tuning has put there supercharger on a stock motor with 150 thousand miles with no internals and it ran fine.

As for a turbo claiming 300hp on your motor, that is very possible, it is also possible for it to make 350 400 500hp etc "throwing" a turbo on your car doesnt just give you X amount of HP, the bigger the turbo, better tuning, reinforced internals etc can all help how much boost you run meaning more HP, even the higher octane gas will make you run more hp. You have to remember with turbos you wont always be running 300hp, When you go to a track you could say put boost to 15 psi and run 100 octane gas... but when you leave to drive home you will probably run 7-9 psi on regular gas, which will lower you hp reading... as we have said before turbos are pretty complex specially on cars that dont come turboed....

Are there exceptions? yes you see those honda civics driving around town with there HUGE front mount and a loud ass BOV? yeah they are running 4psi and my 325 can still walk on them, they spend maybe 3500 on a "kit"

the aa supercharger says it puts out about 322 hp (to the crank) and its only 5700 bucks... i would defintaly go with something along this lines whether it be aa or not. after i swap my m3 motor ill eventually look into F/I a turbo would be nice, but i think ill end up going with some sort of s/c and have over 300hp and be happy

David

EDIT just saw the rest of your question...

adding any kind of f/i technically isnt great for your engine... but the car will die one day anyways so who cares... also you can always get it rebuilt and built back up etc.. .Dado is getting his whole moto rebuilt right now.

As for tuning a supercharger yes you can do it, i think aa might send some stuff to make the s/c run right... when i go with a supercharger ill probably have some other mods to my car, and will want my air/fuel map pretty smooth, granted tuning is a SHIT load of money im going to spend the thousands of dollars to get my car tuned to all my mods/all the extra air for the S/C
Unread 04-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
komodo

Cool, that actually helped a lot... I didn't know all that.

Other than AA Tuning, what are some other s/c's out there? AA Tuning and Dinan are the only ones I know about.

Unread 04-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Send a message via AIM to witeshark
IMO Adding boost without reinforcing main bearings is risky unless you drive super careful
Unread 04-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
xsperf

Name: xsperf
Title: United Baller
Rate My Car: 185 / 340
Your Ride: 95 325is
btw, even though this is not related to superchargers, did you consider cams? liek m3 cams or something, b/ci heard those r nice too, and those dont put any stress on ur engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1apton
I keep forgetting that - I have a great memory but it doesn't last long

CRS disease = Can't Remeber Shit
Unread 04-21-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
komodo

Hum, but don't cams cause a rough idle?

Unread 04-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
ChrisWorrell

Name: ChrisWorrell
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 2004 330i
Send a message via AIM to ChrisWorrell
depends on the cam lope, you can get mild cams where it wont shake the car alot
Unread 04-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
xsperf

maybe if u get aftermarket cams, but m3 cams, im almost posative, althought i havent tried them

Quote:

Unread 04-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
Addicted?

Click here to set it up.
i personally love the rough idle some cams give to cars... with exhuast there isnt a better sound out there... anyways they are a pretty good alternative... spendy either way

David
Unread 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
B_w.

Name: B_w.
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 62 / 340
Your Ride: turbo e36
Send a message via AIM to B_w.
if you upgrade to m3 cams and the software to run the cams there should not be rough idle.

can you super charge or turbo charge an m52 with m3 cams? is it just a question of getting software to run it properly?
Unread 04-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #13
xsperf

^^ im pretty sure u can.. and seconldy komodo, jrhaile did it, i dont think he has rough idle, as seen from his videos, the only other reason u may have rough idle is if you havent done ur timing correctly

Quote:

Unread 04-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
Addicted?

Click here to set it up.
m3 cams dont really give your a car a rough idle.. i believe the shrick might..but they are aftermarket parts.. i dont have much information on cams but i beleive it has to do with the degree of the cam etc that makes your car idle rough (which isnt a bad thing, and as i said before, with exhuast sounds awesome haha) anyways im sure you can run a supercharger with cams.... just a matter of getting it tuned...

That would be a kick in the arse since cams will kick in in the higher rpms and the supercharger going all the way through.... can you say vroom vroom

David
Unread 04-22-2005, 05:22 PM   #15
///95M3

Name: ///95M3
Title: Member
Click here to set it up.
not on a bimmer. I have ridden in many M3's with Schrick cams and injectors and the only difference is the slower, deeper rumbling of the engine. It sounds better and feels better, not at all rough. If I were you I would consider some exhaust. Your car sounded awsome from the front but alittle shakey and rattlie from the back.
Rd Atlanta: 1:44's on RA1's, 1:46 st.trs
Past cars
95 M3 3.2obd1
540i/6