Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Off Topic > United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY**
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

United Off Topic  **FOR MEMBERS ONLY** Chat about whatever! Off-topic chat forum. (Be sure to appropriately title posts that are NWS) You must be registred and logged in to see sub-forums

Old 09-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Tyco CEO Gets 8-25 Years

He'll be in there for a while. That's a big punishment for a white-collar crime.

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ex-Tyco CEO Dennis Kozlowski was sentenced to 8-1/3 to 25 years in prison Monday for his part in stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the manufacturing conglomerate.

Former Tyco CFO Mark Swartz received the same sentence. Kozlowski and Swartz were ordered to pay back $134 million to Tyco while Kozlowski must pay a criminal fine of $70 million and Swartz must pay an extra $35 million -- bringing total fines and restitution to $239 million.

The former Tyco executives were ordered to start serving their sentences immediately and led from the courtroom in handcuffs.

In a crowded New York state courtroom, the prosecution had asked for the maximum penalty of 15 to 30 years for both men, while Kozlowski's defense had focused on his character as a "family man."

As the first high-profile corporate fraud case tried in a state court, legal experts had been watching the sentence to see whether state judges would follow the lead of judges in federal courts, who have been imposed severe sentences on corporate executives found guilty of white collar crimes.

Bernie Ebbers got 25 years for his role in the collapse of WorldCom. Adelphia founder and ex-CEO John Rigas also received a hefty sentence of 15 years. Both were tried in federal court.

"Now anyone who wants to know what trial court judges in New York state are doing when confronted with conviction in a high-profile corporate fraud case, the answer is imposing a significant sentence," former prosecutor Jacob Frenkel said. "Even on the short end of the range, it is a substantial sentence."

In June, Kozlowski and Swartz were found guilty on 22 of 23 counts of grand larceny and conspiracy, falsifying business records and violating business law.

The trial of the two men exposed improper use of company funds, including lavish spending on a birthday party for Kozlowski's wife.

According to New York State Department of Correctional Services procedures, the pair will spend time at an interim facility, where they will undergo a series of tests and reviews, before a prison is designated for them.

Since they received a sentence of more than six years, they likely will be sent to one of New York's maximum security prisons, which include Attica and Sing Sing.

State prisons tend to house more violent criminals, such as those prosecuted for rape and homicide. White-collar criminals sentenced to federal prison often go to minimum-security facilities derisively dubbed "Club Fed."

Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
zeaq328i

Name: zeaq328i
Title: BMW 328i
Rate My Car: 314 / 340
Your Ride: BMW 328i and Dad's S320*NowLondon underground Tube*
Wow..That's long.BTW over here, a drug lord with 6kg of Marijuana is sentence to 24 years and 15 stroke of cane.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
jackjohnson

Name: jackjohnson
Title: Member
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
only 15 hits with a cane? it should be 15 a day for the duratin of the sentence.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
komodo

Name: komodo
Title: Administrator
Rate My Car: 68 / 340
Your Ride: 1995 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeaq328i
Wow..That's long.BTW over here, a drug lord with 6kg of Marijuana is sentence to 24 years and 15 stroke of cane.
That's insane.

In america they slap your hand and you might get a day or two in jail. And a decent sized fine probably.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
zeaq328i

Name: zeaq328i
Title: BMW 328i
Rate My Car: 314 / 340
Your Ride: BMW 328i and Dad's S320*NowLondon underground Tube*
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
That's insane.

In america they slap your hand and you might get a day or two in jail. And a decent sized fine probably.
A bit more, He can receive the death sentence.The drug rehab centre here is horrible and still people do drugs.

Well it's not a cane, they use a rattan bamboo stick.Anyone knows Michael fay?An American in singapore faces the caning.

http://www.corpun.com/awfay9405.htm
Old 09-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
catalyst

Name: catalyst
Title: Upgraded Member
Rate My Car: 195 / 340
Your Ride: 1994 325is
Hahaha, my dad knew that guy sorta, he owned a boat (cant remember the name) but anyway, i was up in maine on my families boat in pretty remote spot in the islands and this tyco dude had taken his boat and was basically hiding out there evading arrest.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
witeshark

Name: witeshark
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 84 / 340
Your Ride: 89 325i 5 speed
Well that kind of greed from CEO's needs to end in any case.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
nick_318is

Name: nick_318is
Title: Suspended License
Rate My Car: 10 / 340
Your Ride: 1991 318is (e30 m42), 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
As a business student I am happy to see them come down hard on this guy, hopefully it will send a good message that you can get in a lot of trouble for that kind of crap. Damn guys trying to make even more cash.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Spieluhr

Name: Spieluhr
Title: ///M Driven
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
those guys are stupid. i guess some people just don't have enough money, they need to steal 100 million more dollars. As if they couldn't already have everything they wanted.

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Linds

Name: Linds
Title: Senior Member
Rate My Car: 70 / 340
Your Ride: 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Well that kind of greed from CEO's needs to end in any case.
It does need to end but I personally don't think the threat of prison will be enough. The real owners of the companies (the ones with the mutual funds) need to step up. They need to take back control of their companies. Even when boards do vote against ridiculous rules with loopholes that prevent CEO's from getting fired even if they were caught driving drunk and committing reckless homocide if they say they were actin gin the best interest of the company and didn't know it was illegal, the management isn't required to accept the rulings and routinely avoid them. Oh, and check this out: Tyco's bonus cap (the last I heard) was set at 200% of base salary. It used to be 600%-700%. Ok, sorry, rant over.