Go Back   United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum > UnitedBimmer- Model Categories > Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8)
FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise With Us Mark Forums Read

Z Series (Z3, Z4, Z8) General discussion and technical help for all year Z series cars.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Walker

Name: Walker
Title: United Newb
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 99 2.0 z3
Z3 2.0 6cyl turns over and fires but dies

Hi Any help would be most appreciated
I have a z3 2.0 6cyl more than a year ago I had to stop using my car for financial reasons and declared it sorn and parked it at the farm where I keep my horses. About a month ago I decided to get it back on the road. I had to jump start it which was fine it ran a bit lumpy at first and would also cut out in tickover however I managed to get it most of the way back to my place. About a quarter of a mile from home car died and wouldn't turn over so ended up towing it the last bit. Turns out the battery was duff. Stood for about 3 weeks with no battery. New battery fitted also new plugs and ignition coils however I try to start car and it turns over and fires but dies almost straight away unless I pump the accelerator really quickly which makes it run at a very slow tickover. Also I don't know if it's related but the keyfob will only open the doors not lock them. Am at a loss as to wether its a mechanical electrical or immobiliser problem. Thanks for taking the time to read this post. All help much appreciated
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
DEATH2000

Name: DEATH2000
Title: Moderator
Rate My Car: 111 / 340
Your Ride: 1998 E36 328i sedan
The car sputtering and dieng could be a fuel issue. Gasoline breaks down over time and can clog up lines and other components. Two possible things that come to mind though is your fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel filter may be clogged or the fuel pump might not be working properly.

One thing to try is if you have the abilities to do do is pump the fuel out of the tank and replace it with fresh gasoline. If you can't pump it out that's fine too. I had to start a GMC that had been sitting for two and a half years and we couldn't pump the gas out. What we did was add 5 litres of new gasoline and an octane booster. After we added the gas we kinda rocked the truck a bit to help it mix. It started up fine which was great, so then we let it run for A while to help get rid of the old gasoline. It's been running fine ever since.

I'm not familiar with the fuel filter and fuel pump replacement on a Z3 but I'm sure I can help you find it if what I mentioned above doesn't work.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Big Evil

Name: Big Evil
Title: Moderator
User not setup in Rate My Car.
Click here to set it up.
Your Ride: 1994 BMW 525i, 1987 325is, 1986 325
Another thing to check would be the condition of your vacuum lines and rubber connection hoses. A gross vacuum leak will also cause the concern you're having, ask anyone who's ever had an E30 ;-).
Big Evil, The BMW driving monster of the American Southwest (Currently on BMW #5)